PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM #1
JakenS1

JakenS1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Flying with HPA tanks

I was wondering about flying some tanks out of the country with me later in the year. What could I use to remove the reg on my tank or would I have to send it into the factory for that? Secondly what about loctite? I hear people could go without it on their tanks, making it a lot easier to deal with and on/off ASAs help a lot if you have no loctite on your reg threads. Thoughts and advice would be appreciated
JakenS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM #2
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Probably a local store would help you, rather than sending to a manufacturer. Some of the tank companies don't loctite on their regs, so they don't need to be loctited. Makes it easier if you travel alot. There is a video, not sure if it VR paintball or what, but it shows how to take off the tank reg yourself, without supper specialized tools. It goes something like this:

1. Empty tank of all air.
2. Wrap reg with some kind of cloth, and insert it into a vice, with the tank sticking straight up.
3. Snug vice closed.
4. Use a strap wrench to turn bottle counterclockwise.

The video shows you exactly what I am talking about, but it is pretty easy to do.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:27 AM #3
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Degas them, remove the regulator, and ship them via priority.

Much safer, legal, and will take 3 days tops.

If you take it on the plane, even degassed and claimed, you can (idk, TSA will **** you somehow) get a felony. No win in large fees and legalities which will rape your future.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM #4
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Also look into Maxflo systems.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM #5
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Degas them, remove the regulator, and ship them via priority.

Much safer, legal, and will take 3 days tops.

If you take it on the plane, even degassed and claimed, you can (idk, TSA will **** you somehow) get a felony. No win in large fees and legalities which will rape your future.
First off, why remove the regulator to ship them?

Secondly, if this person is traveling out of the country (It's in the OP), then there is a better chance that it will take more than 3 days, due to customs.

Third, I would love to see something that shows that TSA will do anything legally over someone flying with a HPA tank, especially if they have done what they are supposed to, that being removing the reg.

For the record, I have only shipped my tanks two times to out of state tournaments that I flew to. After that, I have never mailed any of my gear ever. I have removed my regs, placed masking tape over the bottle opening (To keep dust and contaminants out, and masking tape is easy to peel back with no damage to the epoxy coat), and not only packed them in the gear bag for checked on luggage with no problems, but actually carried a bottle through on my carry on luggage. TSA asked me what it was, I told them, they looked inside, and sent me on my way.

Please don't go overboard and make someone more paranoid than they need to be.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM #6
rkenders
Northern Colorado

This is NOT a big deal.
1.Drain your tanks of air.
2.Unscrew the reg.
3.Pack everything so it can't get damaged.
4.Done.

I bought 3 tanks used and they shipped to me with 1000+ psi in each one. LOL. Go figure.

Some companies put locktite on the reg threads, but you don't ever need it. It's an overkill safety precaution. I have 4 tanks with GA regs that I put on and they are hand tightened and that's all. The ONLY way you will get the reg loose with the tank even party pressurized is with a lot of effort and tools. Before you got the reg turned out 1/2 turn it would be blowing air like crazy. Empty, you might be able to break the reg loose with hand strength, but usually it takes a good bit of effort if the reg has been on the bottle for a while after being hand tightened. Breaking loose the locktite is the hardest part. Spend $20 on a couple of rubber strap wrenches. Get a friend to help you hold the tank and wrenches as some times breaking loose a reg can be kind of hard. You can do it by yourself, but 4 hands are better than two.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4070838
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4049998

Last edited by rkenders : 03-15-2012 at 08:17 AM.
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM #7
KidInfamous
There can only be One

Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenders View Post
This is NOT a big deal.
1.Drain your tanks of air.
2.Unscrew the reg.
3.Pack everything so it can't get damaged.
4.Done.

I bought 3 tanks used and they shipped to me with 1000+ psi in each one. LOL. Go figure.

Some companies put locktite on the reg threads, but you don't ever need it. It's an overkill safety precaution. I have 4 tanks with GA regs that I put on and they are hand tightened and that's all. The ONLY way you will get the reg loose with the tank even party pressurized is with a lot of effort and tools. Before you got the reg turned out 1/2 turn it would be blowing air like crazy. Empty, you might be able to break the reg loose with hand strength, but usually it takes a good bit of effort if the reg has been on the bottle for a while after being hand tightened. Breaking loose the locktite is the hardest part. Spend $20 on a couple of rubber strap wrenches. Get a friend to help you hold the tank and wrenches as some times breaking loose a reg can be kind of hard. You can do it by yourself, but 4 hands are better than two.

also call the local airport your going to and let them know. Ask if there is anything else you need to do. When i flew with my tank last there was a paper i had to print out and tape to the bottle so they wouldn't confiscate it.
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM #8
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInfamous View Post
also call the local airport your going to and let them know. Ask if there is anything else you need to do. When i flew with my tank last there was a paper i had to print out and tape to the bottle so they wouldn't confiscate it.
That's not the airport, but the airline itself. The airport has nothing to do with it, it's TSA first and foremost, and then the airline. If you check with who you are flying with, and often, their site gives you all of the info that you need, and take the time to remove your reg (By the way, uses some additional masking tape on the reg threads to help them from getting damaged), you are going to be fine. Just make sure that you do what both TSA and the airlines mention. Like I found out that some airlines will require sporting equipment to be transported in hard sided luggage.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM #9
KidInfamous
There can only be One

Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Truth View Post
That's not the airport, but the airline itself. The airport has nothing to do with it, it's TSA first and foremost, and then the airline. If you check with who you are flying with, and often, their site gives you all of the info that you need, and take the time to remove your reg (By the way, uses some additional masking tape on the reg threads to help them from getting damaged), you are going to be fine. Just make sure that you do what both TSA and the airlines mention. Like I found out that some airlines will require sporting equipment to be transported in hard sided luggage.
thats what i meant. i mean you don't wanna call southwest in florida when you live in cali.. I just remember that you have to have the paperwork taped to the bottle or they will confiscate them. I have heard people tell me that they have had their tanks taken anyway even with all the right paperworkd and a heads up call
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
Macdev Militia
Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 PM #10
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInfamous View Post
thats what i meant. i mean you don't wanna call southwest in florida when you live in cali.. I just remember that you have to have the paperwork taped to the bottle or they will confiscate them. I have heard people tell me that they have had their tanks taken anyway even with all the right paperworkd and a heads up call
What is this paperwork? And you heard of people that had their tanks taken away? By whom?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...essed_gas.shtm
Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM #11
KidInfamous
There can only be One

Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Truth View Post
What is this paperwork? And you heard of people that had their tanks taken away? By whom?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...essed_gas.shtm
Killed i balled with a number of years ago. no idea why. He had a paper in his bag that said it was randomly searched by tsa. I guess they randomly hand search bags and his tank was missing when he got off the plane.
details were vague but thats what he said. it could have been a number of things. who knows i havent talked to him in a few years
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
Macdev Militia
Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM #12
Open_Truth (Banned)

This is why it is best, when you are flying, in country or out, to take pictures of everything that you are bringing with you, document everything, like serial numbers of markers and such, cost, and so on, and keep a copy with you on carry on luggage, in the bag, and at least in an email. Send your pictures to your email as well, so when you get to where you are going, you can still access them.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM #13
E3EJvilla
Team Horde

E3EJvilla owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
E3EJvilla plays in the APPA beginner division
E3EJvilla has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
buy a new tank when you arrive... lol

Stolen!! $$reward$$$ Invert Mini Dust Black -(serial no. MBK064268)
E3EJvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:20 PM #14
franjdm88
COME AT ME BRO!!!!

^^Haha! What E3EJvilla said