Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 AM #1219
solrflare

Annual Supporting Member
solrflare is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
So... if the body will absorb excess fat, and use it, and absorb excess carbs, and store them (as fat), protein is just **** out and/or converted to fat?

Sounds right to me
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM #1220
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstylea2 View Post
Actually the excess protein converts to fat if too much is consumed.
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM #1221
Ravenstylea2

Ravenstylea2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ravenstylea2 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
"but this limit is likely similar to the amount thatís maximally effective in an entire day. Whatís the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g."

You have to understand how protein works, it also functions as a calorie and as such, your total intake per day reflects intake and output. If your intake is greater than your output, then you will gain weight muscle and fat. If your heart desires, ask a biochemist who knows a wealth about cellular metabolism. Like I said, life is a lot more than a google education. Also, look at the rates of sky rocketing obesity in the U.S. It is a direct result of overall excess caloric consumption of sugar, fat and protein.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 AM #1222
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM #1223
hsilman
Disgustipated

Saying "excess calories become muscle and fat" is a hell of a lot different than saying "excess protein converts to fat". One is obvious to anyone with a computer and 5 seconds of research, the other is a vague and factually incorrect statement.

I don't need to ask a ****ing biochemist to figure that out. But gj on your education.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM #1224
Smart Parts Player12

Edit- I am not even going to bother anymore.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM #1225
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

What the hell is going on lol

Excess calories beyond caloric needs cause fat storage. However, the human body preferentially chooses fat to store as fat. We can convert carbs to fat, but this process (de novo lipogenesis) is very limited and only gets upregulated in certain circumstances. In order for protein to be converted into fat, it would first have to be converted into glucose and then converted into fat.

Carbs are ultimately broken down into acetyl-CoA. Acetyl-CoA is a central molecule in metabolism, and depending on the body's needs, Acetyl-CoA can be converted into fatty acids in situations of caloric excess, or Acetyl-CoA may enter the TCA cycle in situations were the body needs to produce ATP. This, like all biological processes, is under hormonal control: insulin, catecholamimes, etc. This becomes beautifully complex and is still not fully understood.

Before continuing, it is important to understand that carbohydrates, all of which are converted to glucose (except fructose) in individuals without enzyme defects, certain diseases, are preferentially stored as glycogen. However, due to glycogen's osmotic activity, only so much of it can be maintained by the body. Therefore, in times when glycogen stores are full and a carb excess exists, those carbs are converted to Acetyl-CoA and Acetyl-CoA is converted into fatty acids.

Proteins follow a more circuitous route to becoming fat. First, they must be deaminated. After deamination, the amount of processing required depends on the individual structure of the amino acid.

Alanine is converted through the Cori cycle (alanine cycle) into pyruvate, a molecule that is one step away from Acetyl-CoA. Alanine is the most abundant amino acid in nature. Glutamine is the second most abundant. Both of these amino acids funnel into gluconeogenisis and conversion into fatty acids.

Now, some will undoubtedly point out that not all amino acids can be converted to glucose. This to is true, but unfortunately, the most abundant amino acids in nature are the amino acids that when consumed in excess are most readily stored as fat.

As a final thought, whether or not the food one consumes is stored or wasted, as are some excess amino acids, a caloric excess relieves the body's need to utilize its stored energy.

In essence, Fat, Carbs or Protein, all can be stored as fat.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM #1226
FHS JewFro
black AND white

Quote:
"but this limit is likely similar to the amount thatís maximally effective in an entire day. Whatís the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g."

You have to understand how protein works, it also functions as a calorie and as such, your total intake per day reflects intake and output. If your intake is greater than your output, then you will gain weight muscle and fat. If your heart desires, ask a biochemist who knows a wealth about cellular metabolism. Like I said, life is a lot more than a google education. Also, look at the rates of sky rocketing obesity in the U.S. It is a direct result of overall excess caloric consumption of sugar, fat and protein.
i dont believe the everyday person gets enough protein. sugar and fat is easy as hell to go over on tho, so of course ill agree with you on that. i belong to a calorie counting website that lets you look at other peoples food diaries for the day, or any day for that matter. One huge element i have noticed is the disregard to getting enough protein, i believe that is a major factor in our obesity rate. I say this because high protein diets are a huge aid in weight loss and it has been proven to work.

In fact, for many people that reach out to me for help with weight loss, one of the first things i will tell them is to get more protein in. I dont have any degrees or anything, all i have is personal experience, which most of the posters on this sub forum are well aware of.
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM #1227
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

I don't think raven realizes that my original post was sarcastic, lol

Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM #1228
Ravenstylea2

Wow. protein turns into sugar only when glyocgen stores are depleted in a process known as gluconeogenesis. I am done I really don't care at this point who gets their information from where, however I try to inform and educate, but I don't like where this thread is going. Cheers.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 AM #1229
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM #1230
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Wow. protein turns into sugar only when glyocgen stores are depleted in a process known as gluconeogenesis. I am done I really don't care at this point who gets their information from where, however I try to inform and educate, but I don't like where this thread is going. Cheers.
1. Protein never turns into sugar
2. Your "glycogen stores" do not have to be depleted for gluconeogenesis to occur. As 98% of the population will never deplete their stores.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM #1231
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Protein metabolism, in a practical sense, is largely mediated through mTOR and AKT or p70 switching. I'd say the effective recommendation in this case is pulses every 3 hours (per Norton and some other sources), rather than any other eating pattern (fasting periods excepted). Anything you can do to boost rates of MPS will help. Jamie Lewis (CnP) recommends semifasted protein consumption will a small amount of glucose (10g) to stop potential catabolism.

I suspect that very high levels of AMPK phosphorylation during protein consumption is what triggers gluconeogenesis - that's why bolus consumption of protein has more favorable results on MPS - the trigger on mTOR is getting thrown faster, and the area under the curve of plasma AA levels is less before the metabolic switchover occurs.

In contrast, skeletal muscle GLUT4 translocation (related, but not necessarily directly correlated with AMPK AUC), is the major driver of carbohydrate partitioning. It's possible to lower adipocyte GLUT4 expression as well (supplemental calcium comes to mind), but the major and best driver of this partitioning ratio is exercise.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM #1232
tanner202

I enjoyed these reads

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM #1233
Ravenstylea2

[quote=Pirate Mafia;76979019]1.

"Protein never turns into sugar"

IF a person is starved or they are practicing a very low carb diet over a period of time where the body isn't metabolizing sufficient carbs, a process called ketosis occurs where Protein and fat molecule is reformed into glucose following liver and muscle glycogen depletion. Have you ever seen an emaciated person or an anorexic? heard of Kwashiorkor or Marasmus? It's what I do everyday at my job checking serum albumin, and blood chemistry, interpreting it and putting a file on my bosses desk, communicationg with doctors nurse practicioners etc. I also write prostat orders if someone's albumin is low and if they are on hemodialysis. I directly take care of People who have liver disease, uncontrolled diabetes, AIDS, Liver disease patients who have high ammonia levels and cannot process protein. I guess I would know more than most about protein don't you think?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM #1234
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

[quote=Ravenstylea2;76980523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mafia View Post

"Protein never turns into sugar"

IF a person is starved or they are practicing a very low carb diet over a period of time where the body isn't metabolizing sufficient carbs, a process called ketosis occurs where Protein and fat molecule is reformed into glucose following liver and muscle glycogen depletion. Have you ever seen an emaciated person or an anorexic? heard of Kwashiorkor or Marasmus? It's what I do everyday at my job checking serum albumin, and blood chemistry, interpreting it and putting a file on my bosses desk, communicationg with doctors nurse practicioners etc. I also write prostat orders if someone's albumin is low and if they are on hemodialysis. I directly take care of People who have liver disease, uncontrolled diabetes, AIDS, Liver disease patients who have high ammonia levels and cannot process protein. I guess I would know more than most about protein don't you think?
No.

It's time to stop posting now.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM #1235
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:

are you seriously attempting to lecture us about ketosis? I usually try and be warm and inviting, because this forum needs a less elitist attitude, and more active members, but seriously...

dude, **** you.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM #1236
Ravenstylea2

For those aside from the pirate and Beavis, nutrition is best practiced by watching your weight, fat free mass, overall energy levels day to day, and strength every couple weeks. You will get a good idea of what direction your body is taking and the ratio of foods you consume have a direct impact on your appearance along with of course, exercise.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM #1237
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Thanks, Anthony!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM #1238
Ravenstylea2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Revolution
Thanks, Anthony!
No prob. Lol now I'm over here eating a bowl of brown rice, a protein shake and a flounder fillet. This thread gets me amped and hungry at the same time, all in a weird way
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM #1239
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

I just ate 2 plates of curry chicken. Is all that protein gonna give me diabeetus?

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
Closed Thread