Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM #1
MeŠiCX
Boneyard Paintball

MeŠiCX owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
MeŠiCX owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Feedback/ Suggestions

First off, let me start by saying we will be back next year.

* Include maps of the classroom locations with the registration packets.
* Longer classes would've been nice. Add another day if need be. We did pick up a lot in the classes but would've really liked more depth. Kept hearing how classes were normally twice the time as what was offered.
* Larger class rooms or smaller class sizes. We registered early so we could get in the "limited size" classes. No one likes being cramped in a learning environment because the classes were over booked due to late registrations. Vendors didn't even have enough materials in some classes for all participants.
* No ticket, no class! It's not fair to others that paid for the class.
* EVERYONE that registered should be eligible for prize drawings not just those that stay to the end. Not everyone can stay to the end due to flights, schedules, whatever. We all paid good money to be there.
* Take care of your vendors. Offer a boxed lunch option with their registration. Hungry people are crabby people. Not all of the vendors have multiple reps on hand to watch the booth while the others go eat.
* If you do the drink tickets for the welcome reception next time, either note they are only good for tap beer or include mixed drinks!

The charity poker game was great even though I got my butt handed to me! The dinner shuttle to the town center was a nice touch. The National Convention Center was a maze but very interesting. Good place for this.

All in all we enjoyed it, we learned a lot and we will be back next year with more.
MeŠiCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 PM #2
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

Annual Supporting Member
rchard donated to help Peyton Trent
rchard supports Pev's Paintball
Sugestions

Thanks for your comments and gladd to hear you'll be back. We try to make the event the best we can. To help clear up your thoughts here are some responses to your comments that may clear up some of the concerns,

We have had maps in the past but at all sessions except the longer dealer schools and the PTI session were held in the same lobby area as the exhibit hall we didn't really see the need for maps.

Class lengths were not shortened from previous events. Session lengths are set by the presenter and vary. A 4 day event was tried and it proved to be too long and very unproductive and costly for the exhibitors.

Classrooms were set up at 25% less than capacity. Not a single class was overbooked.

It is our policy of no ticket /no class. We requested presenters make sure everyone has a ticket and we provide monitors to assist in taking up tickets and sign in sheets. Some times a presenter lets a customer into the class without a ticket. We have no control over that. And we may have had someone slip into a class but we do try to control that.

The basis behind the requirement of attendance at the drawing to win on Thursday is to attempt to have more people at the show on Thursday afternoon. That's why the drawing was started.

We have tried a box lunch for the exhibitors and it had poor participation.

The drink tickets were provided by the local visitors bureau as a thank you for coming tot the area. We had no control over what they were "giving" away. A free beer is better than nothing and do you know how few people thanked them for the tickets?

We hope that people had a good time at this year event. The overall attitude and business climate was by far the best of any Extravaganza to date. We are excited to get started on planning for 2013! Thanks all for attending. For those who didn't make it sorry you missed the opportunites to better your business.

rchard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM #3
motherpaintball
Paintball Nurturer

has been a member for 10 years
motherpaintball plays in the PSP
I had a great time. I had fun seeing everyone and the classes were really productive for me. I wish I knew that the Eclipse class wouldn't make you an official certified tech without going to tech guns at events but overall it was good for our company to attend.

A map would not have done any good, that place was a little overwhelming but once there was someone down in the class area to direct people everything was smoothed over. After three days of wandering around I understand the layout better but I don't think the maps would have helped. It would have helped to have the sign on the door say Eclipse Tech Class or Tippmann Class instead of just Extravaganza and I am just being picky as far as that goes. Obviously we made it through and anytime you are in a strange place you have to figure out where to go with or without a map.

I understand the logic of having people stay to the end but by 2pm when I got out of my last class everyone was already tearing down and I had planned on getting some orders in then. It was really too late to do much of anything and some people were gone before I had a chance to get in orders. I wish I didn't procrastinate but I had figured I had till about 4pm to work with vendors.

Overall I was very pleased with the number and variety of vendors. Lots of the vendors that were there are not at PSP events so it was nice to be able to meet with such a diverse group of paintball companies.

Thanks for everything and I seriously appreciate the work, logistics and time everyone put in to have this event for dealers.

Sue
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyli...l/182251209504
Home of Team ROGUE & DC DEVASTATION MAMA BEAR
motherpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM #4
CrusaderPB
Field, Pro Shop & Repairs

Annual Supporting Member
CrusaderPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrusaderPB supports Bob Gurnsey
CrusaderPB supports our troops
CrusaderPB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB supports Empire
Our problem with the drawing was the fact that we paid to attend all 3 days. But, there are 5 kids in the house... a 3 day trip couldn't be logistically sound. So, we were there all day Tuesday, and all day Wednesday... but because we had to leave, we are ineligible for the prize? As opposed to someone that just shows up in the last half of Thursday?

At all the classes we attended we did indeed learn a lot. However, I personally have everyone tell me that "Well, this is normally a 8 hour tech class, but I only have 4 hours. So, let's go..." which resulted in rushing through the tech class. I didn't pay to sign up for the product...we genuinely wanted to know the markers!

Also, the lunch ticket - we had no idea that there was a time on it... and $15/lunch is ridiculous. I realize it's a buffet, but sheesh. It didn't seem like we needed a ticket anyway...we had 3 people, paid $45 for three tickets, and got 2 sodas, 1 coffee, and 3 burgers. What a bargain! This probably isn't a paintball extravaganza thing, but more of a convention center deal. Oh well.

We enjoyed and will be back. But maybe only for Thursday next time =p
Now a Planet Eclipse Service Center

Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe to our Thread!
CrusaderPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 PM #5
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

Annual Supporting Member
Feedback

Again, thanks for your feedback.

If you aren't at the event and win how are we to get your product to you? Let's say you're a field from Russia; shipping & customes aren't that simple of an item. Shouls the International attendees be removed from the drawing. As was mentioned the entire purpose of the drawing is to keep as many of the attendees at the event on Thursday. There were only 4 people out of over 300 that only attended on Thursday. Overall attendance on Thursday increased after the start of the drawing.

As for meals, I agree the $15 is a little steep unless you have a huge appetite, but as with any meeting facility prices are a little above the normal. There are over 24 eating places within 15 minutes of the conference center that give attendees an option.

The times for the tech classes are set by the presenter. The Planet Eclipse and Tippmann sessions have never been 8 hours at Extravaganza. We provide the time slots requested and in many cases Extravaganza is the only location for some of the training offered.

Please do not take this as a negative response to your comments, we like to hear the feedback but feel that we should also respond to the issues. Many of the issued raised will also be shared with the industry before the 2013 event.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 PM #6
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

Annual Supporting Member
Early Tear Down

IF any of you have any suggestions on how to keep the exhibitors from tearing down early on Thursday please share them with us. This is a real pet peeve of mine at any event to see manufacturers tearing down and in some cases leaving before an event is over. I think it is unfair and rude to the attendees (customers) that are planning on attending the show until closing on the final day.

I would love it if you had an idea that would work!

Share any you may have. If you have a manufacturer that tore down early and you missed an opportunity to meet with them, let them know! Maybe your comments will have an impact.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 PM #7
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchard View Post
IF any of you have any suggestions on how to keep the exhibitors from tearing down early on Thursday please share them with us. This is a real pet peeve of mine at any event to see manufacturers tearing down and in some cases leaving before an event is over. I think it is unfair and rude to the attendees (customers) that are planning on attending the show until closing on the final day.

Share any you may have. If you have a manufacturer that tore down early and you missed an opportunity to meet with them, let them know! Maybe your comments will have an impact.
I would for them not to leave early I understand some flights but plan them for later.

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 PM #8
motherpaintball
Paintball Nurturer

motherpaintball plays in the PSP
Maybe you could have a prize drawing for the vendors if they stay till the end of the show, lol!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyli...l/182251209504
Home of Team ROGUE & DC DEVASTATION MAMA BEAR
motherpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM #9
Minnesota111

Assuming you're prepared to use a stick rather than a carrot, charge them a penalty for early tear down.
Minnesota111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM #10
7paintball
Service at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota111 View Post
Assuming you're prepared to use a stick rather than a carrot, charge them a penalty for early tear down.
Just ask them not too. Explain it to them and they might just come around if not then its time for the stick.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM #11
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7paintball View Post
Just ask them not too. Explain it to them and they might just come around if not then its time for the stick.
Except I'm pretty sure he has already done that.

I would imagine that vendor fees are collected before the event so one possibility would be a partial rebate for those who stay the entire time.

You could even make it a separate line on the invoice. +20% for leaving early... Totally refundable if you don't leave early

That would combine the stick (increased rate) with a carrot (money back).

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM #12
7paintball
Service at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva Paintball View Post
Except I'm pretty sure he has already done that.

I would imagine that vendor fees are collected before the event so one possibility would be a partial rebate for those who stay the entire time.

You could even make it a separate line on the invoice. +20% for leaving early... Totally refundable if you don't leave early

That would combine the stick (increased rate) with a carrot (money back).
True not a bad idea at all.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM #13
teamstc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchard View Post

Maybe they need to realize that this is their industry and they are the example. I have been to dozens of other trade shows and have never seen anyone tear down early. Other industries really care about their customers and often stay late to help them. It just shows the lack of caring and respect that the paintball industry really has for it's dealers!
teamstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM #14
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

Annual Supporting Member
Like your thinking teamstc.

You are right about other tradeshows. The venders should stay until the end without threat of penalty for the simple reason of why they're at the show to begin with - their customers!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM #15
GoodForMe

Great Show ? Big Thanks to Rick

Having been to all the Extravaganza's, I must say that this one had a great feel to it. All the store's field's and manufacturer's suggested that it was a sucessful event from their point of view.

It is an invaluable benefit that we have this venue to gather as the people who facilitate this industry and I don't think enought credit goes to Rick Chard for making it happen.

I don't think anyone but someone like him could do it: he is independent; thorough; involved and really built something that someone heavily involved in the industry wouldn't have been capable of doing. Despite all his early set backs, he sought out the necessary input and help he needed and because of his not being aligned with anyone was able to get the neccessary industry support to build such a great show.

Great Job to Rick, his team and the industry for making the Extravaganza such a great event.
GoodForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM #16
robot0ninja

some vendors dont have a lot of staff and its actually very expensive for them to come and show these things. my guess is that they got the cheapest flights possible, even if it meant they had to pack up early to make the flight. or maybe they were driving and had to be somewhere the next day, like a job! vendors shouldnt be penalized or thought rude because they had to pack up a couple hours early.

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM #17
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot0ninja View Post
some vendors dont have a lot of staff and its actually very expensive for them to come and show these things. my guess is that they got the cheapest flights possible, even if it meant they had to pack up early to make the flight. or maybe they were driving and had to be somewhere the next day, like a job! vendors shouldnt be penalized or thought rude because they had to pack up a couple hours early.
This is correct in some cases. But, I really doubt that this is the case for the majority of the exhibitors that tear down early. If you go to a store and the sign says it will be open until 6pm and you get there at 5pm and the doors are locked what would your response be? Same thing here, attendees come on Thursday with an advertised close time of 4pm, is it right to close at 2?

As the promoter of the event this is one item that I have a tough time with. I have absolutely no good answer for an attendee when they come up and ask why the show is shutting down a couple hours early.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 PM #18
7paintball
Service at its best.

There is no reason for them to close up early. Doing so is just a slap in the face.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 AM #19
Minnesota111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7paintball View Post
There is no reason for them to close up early. Doing so is just a slap in the face.
What he said
Minnesota111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 AM #20
GatSplat

Perhaps you need to look at your event timing. Obviously, the vendors are spending money to come to an event like this because they want to reach customers and make money. If they are tearing down early, it means they don't feel the customers dragging in at the end will translate into profits - so why bother stay. Is your event too long?? Are you right, or are the X number of vendors right?? Just asking....

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM #21
teamstc

What about the customers, that this is all we do? Some travel across the country for this event. Pay to keep our stores staffed and still stay. This is our business. Most of us commit our time and money to going to events like this to better help our customers. To grow this industry EVERYONE must make the commitment. You won't see the smaller vendors, that close up early, around long if that shows their level of commitment!
teamstc is offline   Reply With Quote