PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM #1
ivanova87

ivanova87 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ivanova87 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Question Lube - Oil vs Grease?

I've looked thru the threads and haven't been able to find a good basic explanation on what the usage differences are between oil and grease (it may be out there but no luck searching). I have a Tippmann A-5 and hope to buy an Empire Axe. Where on/in each marker would I want to use oil? Where would I use grease? How often do you oil vs grease (eg. after each use, after 10 cases, etc.)? Thanks for helping a new player!
ivanova87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM #2
calebc

has been a member for 10 years
Grease is better on O-rings if you're using it, but oil usually works fine for most basic guns on them. Oil is best for putting through your ASA (if you have a basic Tippmann or Spyder etc, take your barrel off, put 3 drops of oil in your ASA, then fire ~50 times to spray the excess out of the valve system).

For the most part on paintguns, they are interchangeable, but if your owner's manual says to use one or the other, don't argue...bottom line.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM #3
Samjooma12 (Banned)

Samjooma12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
What is see is oil for puppets and grease lube for spookies

Go dm10!!!
Samjooma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 PM #4
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Generally, a grease that is Dow33/55 based or petro-based are used in spool valve assemblies, regulators, and other static seals. Dow55 is used on the rams and blast guides of Bob Long markers as well.

An oil is used on rammers like in Ego's, stacked tube poppet bolts, some regulators, blowback markers, and to cut grease to make it thinner for certain applications.

It's really dependent on the parts that are being used and what the manufacturer recommends.

For the Axe, you'll mostly need grease. You'll use it on the bolt guide, poppet, and bolt. You may need some oil on occasion though, and you would put a drop or two in to the regulator to help lube it up.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote