Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 AM #190
SilverViper
 
 
SilverViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
1) NO RAMPING AT ANY MAJOR EVENTS. The reasoning: Ramping is a huge barrier to entry. Not only is it discouraging for newbies who see others ramping, but it also means that you will be wasting a lot of paint in any given match...meaning $$$ for you and your team.
2) Cap off Semi. ^^^see above rational. I really think that slowing down firing rates would make games more exciting by encouraging/enabling movement. NPPL is great and all, but all of those guns are tech'd to the point where they can shoot greater than 15bps without flinching. I would like to see a 10 - 12.5 BPS cap on semi for tournament play.

3) Lower prices of paint: Like mentioned above, this can backfire as it means that people would shoot more. But with the caps above in place, hopefully it's curbed out a bit.
4) Better reffing and field management: Many fields are simply not run well. Make sure that you have an environment that caters to both advanced and new players.
5) We really need a more entertaining way of watching games. Currently it's hard to follow: The games are hard to find, they are not edited well, camera angles are poor, quality is poor, and the castors are kinda meh. Paintball is going to stand still as an industry unless it can somehow offer better entertainment that is easy and fun to follow(this leads to More Viewers > More/better sponsors > More Pro Teams > and hopefully more paintball players.
__________________
[font="Impact"]Relentless=]

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM #191
wangerinjaw
 
 
wangerinjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Smarr, GA
wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverViper View Post
1) NO RAMPING AT ANY MAJOR EVENTS. The reasoning: Ramping is a huge barrier to entry. Not only is it discouraging for newbies who see others ramping, but it also means that you will be wasting a lot of paint in any given match...meaning $$$ for you and your team.
2) Cap off Semi. ^^^see above rational. I really think that slowing down firing rates would make games more exciting by encouraging/enabling movement. NPPL is great and all, but all of those guns are tech'd to the point where they can shoot greater than 15bps without flinching. I would like to see a 10 - 12.5 BPS cap on semi for tournament play.

3) Lower prices of paint: Like mentioned above, this can backfire as it means that people would shoot more. But with the caps above in place, hopefully it's curbed out a bit.
4) Better reffing and field management: Many fields are simply not run well. Make sure that you have an environment that caters to both advanced and new players.
5) We really need a more entertaining way of watching games. Currently it's hard to follow: The games are hard to find, they are not edited well, camera angles are poor, quality is poor, and the castors are kinda meh. Paintball is going to stand still as an industry unless it can somehow offer better entertainment that is easy and fun to follow(this leads to More Viewers > More/better sponsors > More Pro Teams > and hopefully more paintball players.
Look at Woodley's move in the Heat v. Aftershock game and then tell me that there isn't a lot of movement.

It's called SPEEDball for a reason. The BPS is fine where it is.

And while the PSP's webcasts aren't amazing, compare it to the NPPL's, o wait. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have. My guess is that after they get the webcast figured out, they can take it to a broadcaster and show them what they have, and what they could improve on.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adren...18132304891453

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:11 AM #192
spartan117d7
 
 
spartan117d7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
spartan117d7 is playing at Living Legends V
spartan117d7 posts videos on PbNation
spartan117d7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
spartan117d7 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
spartan117d7 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw View Post
Look at Woodley's move in the Heat v. Aftershock game and then tell me that there isn't a lot of movement.

It's called SPEEDball for a reason. The BPS is fine where it is.

And while the PSP's webcasts aren't amazing, compare it to the NPPL's, o wait. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have. My guess is that after they get the webcast figured out, they can take it to a broadcaster and show them what they have, and what they could improve on.
i couldnt agree with you more!!
__________________
-VP of Sonoma State University Paintball Club
-Plays for: Chemical Hazard and Strictly Paintball


Willing to pay for trades or anything with these too!!
XBOX 360 Games and Accessories!
spartan117d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 AM #193
IVIonster
Sucks to Suck.
 
IVIonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greensboro
IVIonster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
IVIonster owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
IVIonster supports Team VICIOUS
IVIonster plays in the APPA D4 division
IVIonster has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
try to make it less expensive , and morer wll known.
__________________
03 Subaru Wrx
90 VW Corrado


EGO10 F/S/T
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80144946
IVIonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM #194
Paintman15
Justin
 
Paintman15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, tn
Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm not a grammar Nazi, but "morer?"
__________________
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh


If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM #195
SilverViper
 
 
SilverViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw View Post
Look at Woodley's move in the Heat v. Aftershock game and then tell me that there isn't a lot of movement.

It's called SPEEDball for a reason. The BPS is fine where it is.

And while the PSP's webcasts aren't amazing, compare it to the NPPL's, o wait. They are doing the best they can with the resources they have. My guess is that after they get the webcast figured out, they can take it to a broadcaster and show them what they have, and what they could improve on.
Why are you so defensive? Lol.

Yes, that is a good case example. Amazing freaking run through. Can you tell me a reason why lowering the BPS or turning to semi would be bad for the sport or decrease movement? Does speedball have a correlation with BPS that I don't know about? Changing the BPS does not mean that the game will be played slower. I was only trying to make the argument that Less BPS = More overall movement = More entertaining games to watch. Most games do not play out like the Aftershock one you are referring to.

As for the Casting...I understand that they are doing the best to their abilities. I'm simply pointing out that it's not put together in an entertaining enough way to appeal to outsiders. Only the most hardcore players are going to enjoy watching those. For the record, I'm one of those guys.

The Thread Title is: "What would you change about paintball" I'm simply saying that I would change the broadcasting quality. I'm not trying to attack the integrity of PSP's casters or camera crew or the PSP in general.
__________________
[font="Impact"]Relentless=]

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM #196
wangerinjaw
 
 
wangerinjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Smarr, GA
wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverViper View Post
Why are you so defensive? Lol.

Yes, that is a good case example. Amazing freaking run through. Can you tell me a reason why lowering the BPS or turning to semi would be bad for the sport or decrease movement? Does speedball have a correlation with BPS that I don't know about? Changing the BPS does not mean that the game will be played slower. I was only trying to make the argument that Less BPS = More overall movement = More entertaining games to watch. Most games do not play out like the Aftershock one you are referring to.

As for the Casting...I understand that they are doing the best to their abilities. I'm simply pointing out that it's not put together in an entertaining enough way to appeal to outsiders. Only the most hardcore players are going to enjoy watching those. For the record, I'm one of those guys.

The Thread Title is: "What would you change about paintball" I'm simply saying that I would change the broadcasting quality. I'm not trying to attack the integrity of PSP's casters or camera crew or the PSP in general.
Sorry, reading it again I guess it seemed like I over reacted some.

My point is that I think the BPS is fine where it is. The league I play in currently is 10.5 and I wish we could do 12.5. The BPS thing is a personal preference thing. You would not believe how much some of the older paintballers I play with complain about how slow the bps is, but a lot of people also think it is too slow(referring to 12.5 since that is pretty much the standard). I think we have found the best medium between fast bps, and slow enough to allow movement.

We have to start somewhere with broadcasting, and I think psp is doing a good job with what they have. It isn't perfect, but I don't think anybodies first attempt at anything is perfect. They will improve and get better at it over time.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adren...18132304891453

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM #197
SilverViper
 
 
SilverViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw View Post
Sorry, reading it again I guess it seemed like I over reacted some.

My point is that I think the BPS is fine where it is. The league I play in currently is 10.5 and I wish we could do 12.5. The BPS thing is a personal preference thing. You would not believe how much some of the older paintballers I play with complain about how slow the bps is, but a lot of people also think it is too slow(referring to 12.5 since that is pretty much the standard). I think we have found the best medium between fast bps, and slow enough to allow movement.

We have to start somewhere with broadcasting, and I think psp is doing a good job with what they have. It isn't perfect, but I don't think anybodies first attempt at anything is perfect. They will improve and get better at it over time.
^^^That's a fine assessment. And you may be right about 12.5. I've never played anything below that in a tournament scene so your opinion has a bit more weight behind it. My main gripe related to BPS is ramping. I just don't see the need for it. But I think I may be in the minority on that.

The broadcasting isn't awful. They certainly have to start somewhere and they are working on it. The Derder headshots are great. There are some awesome editors in the paintball world, but the live casts are "meh" at best. I'm confident that they will get better with time.

I was looking at this from the standpoint of "what would you change." It's like if someone asked you "What car would you drive if you could have any car..." I would say a Ferrari Enzo or something exotic instead of saying that Ford is great and improving towards making better cars so they are fine as is. < This was my approach to the question.
__________________
[font="Impact"]Relentless=]

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM #198
wangerinjaw
 
 
wangerinjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Smarr, GA
wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverViper View Post
^^^That's a fine assessment. And you may be right about 12.5. I've never played anything below that in a tournament scene so your opinion has a bit more weight behind it. My main gripe related to BPS is ramping. I just don't see the need for it. But I think I may be in the minority on that.

The broadcasting isn't awful. They certainly have to start somewhere and they are working on it. The Derder headshots are great. There are some awesome editors in the paintball world, but the live casts are "meh" at best. I'm confident that they will get better with time.

I was looking at this from the standpoint of "what would you change." It's like if someone asked you "What car would you drive if you could have any car..." I would say a Ferrari Enzo or something exotic instead of saying that Ford is great and improving towards making better cars so they are fine as is. < This was my approach to the question.
I just wasn't thinking, it happens to me occasionally

I think there are pros and cons to ramping, I just don't like when people say that ramping is the cause of overshooting(you didn't say that, but a lot of people do). To me thats like saying guns kill people, trucks cause wrecks, or computers troll. I think there would have to be a pretty big movement for semi for the majority of leagues to start using it again. I guess only time will tell.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adren...18132304891453

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM #199
blueskadoo88
 
 
blueskadoo88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
From playing in the sport back when i was younger, compare to today i have a decent view on the changes and things that i personally dislike and like...

the one things that bothers me now is the almost necessity to cheap or wipe in tournament play. Back in the day the local tournaments i played if you got caught wiping more then once your team got thrown out of the tournament. People hated on you, and often kids got their butts kicked for this. Now as I took about 6 years off of playing and came back to the tournament seen recently, almost every team i talk to practices cheating, how to cheat or hide it... i have had many people say oh at team practice play at 320 so that when 300 hits you you dont flinch and can wipe the hit away, learn to wipe your self on bunkers, or slide so a hit comes off in the grass/turf... things like this piss me off! Yes cheating happens in all sports, but i have played team sports in high school. and we did not practice cheating, in fact most penalties were the result of an accident or error made by a player...

im not sure why people are saying prices... i think the price to play now is very fair compare to back when i started as a teen. paint has came down a lot! and back then there was not options like an axe, mini, etha or anything close to a tournament gun that would keep up, it was either you spent multiple 100's of dollars and got a good gun or shot tippmans or spiders or view loaders...

ramping i think is a great thing that has been added, personally on uncapped semi i can out shoot any gun on ramping at 12.5 i think ramping is a great equalizer for one of 2 reasons. the amount of guns capable of 12.5 bps ramping is way more vast compared to 20bps, and on ramping a new player coming into the tournament being able to ramp at the same rate as some one who has been in the sport a while makes it even. if it were back to semi uncapped that same new kid to the sport might only be able to shoot 10bps semi, well the guy who has been in it for a while is firing of 20bps, this is going to scare said kid out of the tournament scene. yes ramping does NOT need to be used in rec play, and i have never played at a field that allows anything other then semi auto during rec play.
__________________
Michigan Affliction Co-Captian
blueskadoo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM #200
SilverViper
 
 
SilverViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw View Post
I just wasn't thinking, it happens to me occasionally

I think there are pros and cons to ramping, I just don't like when people say that ramping is the cause of overshooting(you didn't say that, but a lot of people do). To me thats like saying guns kill people, trucks cause wrecks, or computers troll. I think there would have to be a pretty big movement for semi for the majority of leagues to start using it again. I guess only time will tell.
Haha, you're fine. I agree about ramping. It's certainly not a cause for overshooting. Overshooting is done on purpose and happens all the time in semi and ramping alike.

I don't think semi will come back to the forefront any time soon due to PSP being a much better venue than NPPL recently which means almost all of the smaller tournaments copy it. I'm fine with it and it's not as big of a deal as I let onto earlier. I think much of my irritation is simply that almost all tournaments 6-7 years ago were semi only. Coming back onto the scene now and everything is about ramping. It was just a small element(really small) of skill that is gone and I'm kinda nostalgic about it.
__________________
[font="Impact"]Relentless=]

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 AM #201
spartan117d7
 
 
spartan117d7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
spartan117d7 is playing at Living Legends V
spartan117d7 posts videos on PbNation
spartan117d7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
spartan117d7 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
spartan117d7 is attending Decay of Nations VI
do you think there are enough entry level and divisional tournaments in your areas?
__________________
-VP of Sonoma State University Paintball Club
-Plays for: Chemical Hazard and Strictly Paintball


Willing to pay for trades or anything with these too!!
XBOX 360 Games and Accessories!
spartan117d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM #202
wangerinjaw
 
 
wangerinjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Smarr, GA
wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117d7 View Post
do you think there are enough entry level and divisional tournaments in your areas?
Yes, but that makes me want to ask another question. Do yall think appa pushes people into higher divisions too fast?
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adren...18132304891453

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM #203
blueskadoo88
 
 
blueskadoo88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
in my area there is really only one field who has regular decent tournaments, every other field is only super focused on walk on/rental players, or only their own team... that is another thing i would change!
__________________
Michigan Affliction Co-Captian
blueskadoo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 AM #204
Nowayout24
F.E.A.R
 
Nowayout24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Nowayout24 is playing at Living Legends V
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nowayout24 supports Team VICIOUS
Nowayout24 supports Pev's Paintball
Nowayout24 is attending Decay of Nations VI
change the public image of the sport, most of my family and friends thing I run around the woods shooting people with no protective gear and I blow thousands of dollars on something "Childish" we need to publicize air ball tournaments and change the public's simple minded view that we are a bunch of delinquents running around shooting each other.

We need to show the public that we play on turf fields, conduct play professionally and in an organized manner and we need more local fields to do more advertising. Never once have I seen ads in the newspaper or fliers on corners for paintball. There is many ways we could expand the industry but it doesn't seem to be moving in that direction

Btw I have nothing against woodsball, I actually love playing woodsball, but the whole image of woodsball at the forefront of the paintball industry is not a good thing.
Nowayout24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 AM #205
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!
 
IBleed Arbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Connecticut
IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowayout24
change the public image of the sport, most of my family and friends thing I run around the woods shooting people with no protective gear and I blow thousands of dollars on something "Childish" we need to publicize air ball tournaments and change the public's simple minded view that we are a bunch of delinquents running around shooting each other.

We need to show the public that we play on turf fields, conduct play professionally and in an organized manner and we need more local fields to do more advertising. Never once have I seen ads in the newspaper or fliers on corners for paintball. There is many ways we could expand the industry but it doesn't seem to be moving in that direction

Btw I have nothing against woodsball, I actually love playing woodsball, but the whole image of woodsball at the forefront of the paintball industry is not a good thing.
Woodsball is keeping the sport alive IMO
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 AM #206
Nowayout24
F.E.A.R
 
Nowayout24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Nowayout24 is playing at Living Legends V
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nowayout24 supports Team VICIOUS
Nowayout24 supports Pev's Paintball
Nowayout24 is attending Decay of Nations VI
If you read my post it was not bashing woodsball at all, because the publics image is completely different than how woodsball is actually played.
Nowayout24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 AM #207
spartan117d7
 
 
spartan117d7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
spartan117d7 is playing at Living Legends V
spartan117d7 posts videos on PbNation
spartan117d7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
spartan117d7 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
spartan117d7 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowayout24 View Post
If you read my post it was not bashing woodsball at all, because the publics image is completely different than how woodsball is actually played.

exactly! but idk about u guys but when i talk with people they are like "really? wow you play paintball? thats cool! thats seems so tough and hard!" and they are so interested and love the idea and thought that i play
__________________
-VP of Sonoma State University Paintball Club
-Plays for: Chemical Hazard and Strictly Paintball


Willing to pay for trades or anything with these too!!
XBOX 360 Games and Accessories!
spartan117d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM #208
the hot tuna
FTA
 
the hot tuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
the hot tuna supports Team VICIOUS
the hot tuna posts videos on PbNation
the hot tuna plays in the APPA D5 division
probably mentioned already, but lowering the ROF to something like 10.5 would help a little. Paint is one of the main income sources for fields so coming down in price would be nice, but difficult.
__________________
free agent for the remainder of this season!
the hot tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM #209
Paintballer12u
KAPPUS #55
 
Paintballer12u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 29 Palms
Paintballer12u posts videos on PbNation
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
sandbagging would be nice if all that got fixed. and turnys could be a little cheaper
__________________
Paintballer12u LOOKING FOR D3 TEAM IN SOCAL
KAPPUS#55
Ironmen and RL fan

MAC DEV
, DM9, DM12, DM13, NT10
Dye Rotor
Dye Throtal 45/45
Sly Pro-Merc Diesel Barrel
Paintballer12u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM #210
dynastyrebal
Skippy
 
dynastyrebal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: D Side
dynastyrebal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dynastyrebal is for the Gunfight
dynastyrebal supports Pev's Paintball
dynastyrebal is attending Decay of Nations VI
All you guys are saying how we need to do this and do that... It's all not that important! It probably won't happen. People who don't see the way paintball is in the tournament environment won't understand what we know. IMO we keep doing what we are doing and having walk Ons become the future of the sport. People will never be able to see it like we do until they are there!
Sorry for not saying that we need to change something but I like paintball where it is at...
__________________
"The name's Skippay..."

LA Paintball Gateway-Pro 7 Man

Paintball Gateway-Open WCPPL
dynastyrebal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump