PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM #1
frontman50

frontman50 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
frontman50 plays in the APPA D4 division
Something I've been wondering about pro jerseys.

Why don't companies mass produce them? It seems like a really easy sell. For example, let's say I want a Matt Ryan falcons jersey. I can order it online or go to most sports memorabilia shops in Atlanta and get one. For paintball lets say I want a Mike Paxon ironmen jersey, I can buy his... and that's it. Even unprinted ones are hard to find for some teams. So why don't companies sell these to paintball retailers such as ansgear or even local shops?

Last edited by frontman50 : 02-10-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: edited for clarification.
frontman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 PM #2
kaiyak

Annual Supporting Member
kaiyak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kaiyak has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
What retailers would they sell them to? Any paintball promotion is put out to a very small niche. I mean think about it, our sport hasn't received undisputed recognition that it is in fact a sport. I mean ESPN showcased it maybe a handful of times, if that and all of the podcasts and online streams can only go so far. 95% of people who walk into Dick's Sporting Goods won't know who Ryan Greenspan is, so there's no real money to be made.

Lastly, in today's world there really aren't any paintball retailers, besides the pro shops and those are few and far between, with the larger online retailers stomping out most of the little guys. All in all, companies like Raza and HK make the most money off players, rather than fans, our sport simply hasn't received the attention it deserves, partially because of a few bad apples. If and only if paintball becomes a recognized professional sport will there ever be a hope of having jerseys, or even t-shirts in our regular day-to-day retailers.
Tri-City Legends #8
Collar City Shakedown #8
Brunswick, NY
Tri-City Extreme http://tricityextreme.com/ -enter Legends in the comment field when ordering
Proud member of the 518th Brigade
Proud member of TrashTalk Paintball

Luxe 2.0, Clone GTi, and 2014 Vapor F/S/T http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...009&highlight=

DM14 F/S/T http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post81931321
kaiyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 PM #3
frontman50

frontman50 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
frontman50 plays in the APPA D4 division
I think I wasn't specific enough, my fault. I meant as in ansgear, punisherpb, local shops, specifically paintball retailers.
frontman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM #4
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
I know in the past they've carried team jerseys with name/number on the back. I also know these jerseys sell so poorly that they can commonly be found in the clearance section for $25 or less after going a year or more without selling.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 AM #5
Paper_or_Plastic

Paper_or_Plastic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paper_or_Plastic supports Empire
Raza sells heat and I believe infamous jerseys. It's basically that they just don't sell.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 AM #6
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
I think part of it is the stigma of wearing one. It's pretty easy to get written off as a suck up or wannabe. Honestly the only reason I'd buy one is if I were a die hard fan and I got it signed and framed. I wouldn't pay a premium to wear someone else's name on my back as a player.

The best looking pro jersey I've seen was a Fedorov RL jersey in their older style, maybe circa 2006. It was professionally framed and the rarity of that jersey made it a nice presentation. I can't see it being worth it for many others. To be fair, once you've been playing long enough to see your friends and old teammates go pro, the magic tends to wear off and there isn't much of a wow factor to pro jerseys.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM #7
Hostile|hF
evolvstudios.com

Hostile|hF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hostile|hF has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm not going to pay extra to have another persons name on my jersey.

It might make more sense if paintball had more of a TV presence and it was a support factor for your favorite team, but paintball just isn't at that level yet. Similar to how fans wear their favorite football team jersey on game day. No one watches our games though so no one cares.
Hostile|hF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 AM #8
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile|hF View Post
I'm not going to pay extra to have another persons name on my jersey.
This.

Just as others said, try clicking the clearance bins on the sites you listed. That's usually where you can find them.

Hell, I've seen a ton of jerseys on here I would love to buy. Then find someone elses name on the back and decide nope.
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 AM #9
Hostile|hF
evolvstudios.com

Hostile|hF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hostile|hF has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Show all your friends how awesome paintball is and then maybe some day, if we all sell the sport well enough, there will be a market for pro jerseys.
Hostile|hF is offline   Reply With Quote