i regret not having one.
This.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM #23
pbtbreakingpoint

I know too many people that have died on a bike or have been seriously injured by no fault of their own to make me never seriously consider owning one.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM #24
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
I had a motorcycle in Norman, OK for grad school it had 44 hp and got 60mpg and spent $450 on it. I drove it around town it was hot as **** but i still wore my mesh protection. Speeds were normally 45-55 max. I definitely preferred it to a car for that kind of driving, except the magneto didn't charge the battery at idle . Only regret is selling it to pay for moving.

My commute now is 40+ miles of interstate and fast flowing backroads I got a slightly more powerful bike, but willing to risk myself commuting (too many tractor trailers), still no regrets on the purchase. I'll always enjoy riding.
lowbudgethero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 PM #25
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgergewh View Post
as a motorcycle rider that's pretty much just BS, it's pretty hard to hear pipes coming up behind you no matter how loud they are. sounds a bit different than one flying by you if you're on foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
If you bought that GSXR as your first bike I'm not surprised in the least bit that you are selling it now.

The whole loud pipes save lives argument is pretty retarded. Also it's hard finding a good group of riders you can trust.

That being said the only thing I ever regretted was selling my first one have having to be without for a year. Otherwise it's the best thing I've ever done. I know the risks and have accepted them. I know my limits and know the consequences of pushing them and I know how valuable good gear is. I don't think I'll ever be without a motorcycle.
My 2 friends who have softtails I can hear cruising at 65, no problem even if they are a car behind me With my windows closed. Never mind engine braking . My other friend got the new night rod ( investment banker got it for the badass factor ) I have no clue what pipes he has on it but I can hear it windows closed with my stereo on 20 ( I have all alpine **** and a 10" sub in my Wrx with all the sound deading material still in it ) if he is cruising next to me .

My other friend has an r1 and that isn't that loud ( his exhaust isn't stock but it's not really loud) , a guy I used to ski race with has a Ducati That isn't bad idle but when he revs the piss out of it its much louder then a stock gixxer or r1 or r6

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM #26
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

the doppler effect kicks any argument you can come up with for "loud pipes save lives" right in the teeth. modern cars have VERY good noise insulation from the outside world too making it even worse. car drivers are usually distracted enough, they WILL NOT hear you no matter how loud your pipes are. all loud pipes do is piss everyone off and make law enforcement crack down on bikes harder.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM #27
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
My 2 friends who have softtails I can hear cruising at 65, no problem even if they are a car behind me With my windows closed. Never mind engine braking . My other friend got the new night rod ( investment banker got it for the badass factor ) I have no clue what pipes he has on it but I can hear it windows closed with my stereo on 20 ( I have all alpine **** and a 10" sub in my Wrx with all the sound deading material still in it ) if he is cruising next to me .

My other friend has an r1 and that isn't that loud ( his exhaust isn't stock but it's not really loud) , a guy I used to ski race with has a Ducati That isn't bad idle but when he revs the piss out of it its much louder then a stock gixxer or r1 or r6
That doesn't prove anything. You could have the loudest bike in the world. People are still going to pull out in front of you because you have a smaller profile and are less visible. All your friends are accomplishing is pissing off everyone else because they think it's cool to have loud pipes. There is absoloutely no validation to that old saying.

You want to stay safe on a motorcycle? We hi viz gear, wear a helmet and pratice often.
automagwarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM #28
xXinpayneXx
MW

I've had bikes that are louder than anything should ever be.

I have a bike i've ridden the past year with stock exhaust.

Loud exhausts gets you pulled over, nothing more, granted I never really have tooooo many issues with ****ty drivers, maybe it's the rider. But all it takes is one unlucky move...
Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM #29
pink04teletubbie
I <3 Boobies

People are continuously going to try and run you over regardless of your exhaust. Just pay attention to traffic, instead of searching for skanks that might be staring at you on your super sweet crotch rocket.

DD. Not just my girl's bra size
pink04teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM #30
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

them's the kinda skanks i'd like to dump off the back of my bike if my bike had enough power to do a wheelie.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM #31
Brrd
MY GOD MAN!

Brrd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Brrd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I've had an 09 r6 and an 06 cbr1000rr, I only regret getting rid of them. I usually do so because of winter. I've never lost money on selling one either after riding it for 8 months. I even traded in my rr as a down payment for my denali truck and they gave me more trade in credit then I payed for the thing! This spring I plan on picking up another liter bike can't wait!!!
Brrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM #32
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
Doesn't a bike come with a horn or something?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:16 PM #33
pink04teletubbie
I <3 Boobies

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
Doesn't a bike come with a horn or something?
wtf does that have to do with anything?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM #34
Brrd
MY GOD MAN!

Brrd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Brrd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't call it a horn.
More like a gay noise maker... beeeep, great nobody in their car even heard that.
Brrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM #35
pink04teletubbie
I <3 Boobies

Ohh a horn makes perfect sense. Someone pulls out in front of you, you're about to t-bone them with only .4 seconds to react, so you honk your horn. That'll show those ****ers!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM #36
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
For people who don't ride, they don't understand.

I don't think people are "out to kill me" or anything like that, but most drivers are not 100% focused on driving and nothing else... People listen to the radio, they tune out, they are on the phone, texting, talking to passengers, eating, smoking, etc.... The horn just makes them look at you AS they are hitting you.

I used to use my horn every day because people would merge into my lane and almost into me... I gave up on that and either shift to the shoulder or slow down and let them do what they please... Being on a bike, you won't win the fight against a car.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 PM #37
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
these days everything is dangerous. everything gives you cancer. everything you eat is unhealthy, the government and schools have deemed every activity as life threatening and a threat to national security.

riding a motorcycle is no more dangerous than driving a car as long as you do not become complacent, as nearly every driver has. like was said above, motorcycles might as well not even come with horns. they aren't going to make anyone stop merging, look twice, or tailgate you. being on the defensive and not riding with an ego and attitude are how you stay alive.
automagwarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM #38
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Dam that sucks a honk of my super hellatones gives most people the jitters in the Midwest , it stops merges lane changes and pulling out .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM #39
shockerboy001
Yasser Hanbali

shockerboy001 plays in the PSP
shockerboy001 is an NCPA player
shockerboy001 plays in the APPA D3 division
shockerboy001 supports DLX Technology
ive had plenty of fast cars, and just bought my first road bike a 07 GSXR 600. and i can say that ive completely fallen in love, ive always wanted a motorcycle as i use to race dirtbikes and quads. what i tell all my buddies i ride with is mind traffic and ride like no one sees you, keep a larger gap between you and cars and keep away from curb lanes when in city traffic. while many people have told me that i could die on it, i understand the risks, i mean hell you can die by walking across the street. while there are safer means of getting place to place this has got to be one of the most fun.
XFT #70
shockerboy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 AM #40
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Get an air horn on your bike... fun stuff.

When people in cars say they didn't see you, it's an excuse. They see you alright, but their mind doesn't register that you're there because it's not what they're looking for. Now, you can bet your *** that they'll see a motorcycle cop because they're looking for potential threats.

I make no regrets about owning motorcycles. I have rode all of my life on dirt scooters, and now ride on the street everyday rain or shine, no matter the temperature. I live in South East Texas so riding season never ends, even when it dips down into the 20's on those are occasions.

The only real thing that bothers me is riding in the rain. I'm usually going faster than the flow of traffic in dry conditions but when it rains I go slower and make sure to keep a good following distance and a "space cushion" (learn that in MSF). One thing I try to do is if there is a car in front of me, follow their tracks by the water they dispersed. Always remember to brake earlier to. I ride what used to be the largest production Vtwin in the world, so it is very "herkey jerkey" when engine braking, so I have to remember to shift down a lot later in the rain. Go slow over painted lines and try to stay upright, avoid manhole covers if at all possible.

It's not uncommon for me to put 25,000 or more in a year on a bike.
tmanbuckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 AM #41
lolol20
[̲̅$̲̅

if i would have never rode drunk 3 times

and the constant maintenance (mostly from drunk wrecking zx900B)

Im all for a bike

I drill oil...BURR

ANOTHER 4 YEARS OF OBAMA.....great
lolol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 AM #42
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

haha the horn on my bike conjours an image of a little troll trying to **** a supermodel with a flaccid dick. i can't even believe that it's a required item on a motorcycle.