PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM #22
krazykubes

krazykubes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
It would certainly help for barrel tagging!
Def true
krazykubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM #23
Hinjin

Hinjin is playing at Living Legends V
Hinjin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hinjin posts videos on PbNation
Hinjin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hinjin has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Accuracy = The bore size of the barrel and size of the paint. The closer you get to one another, the better.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM #24
Gmankilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking Da Bird View Post
Nope, they actually hurt your gun if anything.

I want to go over a few things about barrels this forum fails to reflect on people:

1.) ALL BARRELS HAVE THE SAME ACCURACY! Holy ****, buying a Dye UL barrel will not shoot better than a Eigenbarrel! My god, I hate seeing posts like "Oh yeah, buy the Dye UL barrel, you'll get great accuracy. I love having sex with it and waffles. CP barrels suck." God damn shut up about accuracy. Want to shoot an accurate gun? Join the military. They're dead on accurate.

2. Any barrel over $50 is overpriced. I'm talking about Dye 2 pieces or whatever. They don't do anything. At all. They just shoot paint through it. You're buying the name. Efficiency will increase by like .001% if anything. If you bought a dye barrel or any barrel over $50, I'm happy to say you ****ed yourself.
First of all, the Dye UL does have better accuracy then most barrels. I have tried many other barrels, and the UL has had Superior accuracy.
Second, the Dye UL is if not the quietest barrel I have ever used.
Third, is the weight. Everyone likes to have a lighter set up. I don't care how strong you are. Having a lighter set up helps A LOT.
So why not buy the more expensive barrel? Sure. You might be paying for the name, but Dye makes good, quality products.
Gmankilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM #25
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmankilla

First of all, the Dye UL does have better accuracy then most barrels. I have tried many other barrels, and the UL has had Superior accuracy.
Third, is the weight. Everyone likes to have a lighter set up. I don't care how strong you are. Having a lighter set up helps A LOT.
So why not buy the more expensive barrel? Sure. You might be paying for the name, but Dye makes good, quality products.
You are ****ING ignorant.
The accuracy is the exact same, paint, wind, consistency and the cleanliness of the barrel is the only thing that effects accuracy. Think about it, an imperfect gelatin blob at 300 fps will have the same flight out of any metal tube
sup'mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM #26
molybdenum
Aspiring Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmankilla View Post
Data? No? How surprising.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 AM #27
Mocking Da Bird
Rental

Mocking Da Bird is playing at Living Legends V
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmankilla View Post
I'm sorry, but no. Dye UL barrel makes no difference. The sound signature may be reduced by a fraction. The barrel is just a tube to shoot your paintballs out of. There is no accuracy wizard sprinkling magic dust all over the inside of the barrel to make it 10x more accurate than my Eigenbarrel.

It's all about the paint.
Mocking Da Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 AM #28
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:
It's all about the paint.
Yup! and how it is matched to the barrel bore.

A $5 bull barrel will shoot just as well as a $100 DW with good paint properly matched to the bore size...
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:22 AM #29
yoder916
DIRTBAGS

yoder916 plays in the PSP
I have always heard that the first three inches of a barrel are all that really matters. (No Pun Intended)
yoder916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM #30
jdsinglebarrel

If you run out of paint you could always pretend it is a bayonet and run up and poke people

I can't imagine having anything bigger than 16"
jdsinglebarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM #31
robot0ninja

it wont make it more accurate. the only thing to make a gun more accurate is to use good quality paint and match its bore size to your barrel and make sure you have a clean barrel. that being said, that doesnt mean you cant get a 24 inch barrel. and people, it barely effects efficiency. sure, you get maybe 10 less shots out of your 90 billion cubic inch tank, who cares. if you like the looks of the barrel and it has a good bore size (for me, anything .685-.689) go for it.

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM #32
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Everyone knows longer is always better, man.

Quote:
1.) ALL BARRELS HAVE THE SAME ACCURACY! Holy ****, buying a Dye UL barrel will not shoot better than a Eigenbarrel! My god, I hate seeing posts like "Oh yeah, buy the Dye UL barrel, you'll get great accuracy. I love having sex with it and waffles. CP barrels suck." God damn shut up about accuracy. Want to shoot an accurate gun? Join the military. They're dead on accurate.
That's not completely true. All well made, higher end barrels will shoot basically the same. There are some cheaper barrels out there that are just junk though.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM #33
tjboss
Absolute Chaos

tjboss plays in the PSP
tjboss is playing at Living Legends VII
tjboss owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tjboss plays in the APPA D4 division
This is a barrel price argument now? He only asked about length. and the answer is no, there will not be a difference between 20 inch and 24 inch barrel.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM #34
Hinjin

Hinjin is playing at Living Legends V
Hinjin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hinjin posts videos on PbNation
Hinjin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hinjin has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
24 inch barrel is perfect for excavating core samples.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM #35
ShoeBoxSHOCK
Why am I always broke?

This thread made me smile. I have an 18 inch Ops interceptor on my sniperII pump. I had planed on getting creative and milling it into a bolt action. I was going for an M24, so I wanted a 24 inch barrel for that. If you're already at 20, 4 more isn't going to cause a world of difference. Go for it, get goofy, have fun, it's paintball. Be rediculous! How many DUDES are out there with Hot pink guns and hello kitty grips? If someoen gives you $*** for your barrel, beat'em to death with it.

Find a brand of paint that has a nice fit, chrono it, adjust velocity, and go play the game.

My 2 cents about everythign else, the condition of the bore may make a difference, if it's rough it could cause turbulance because that blob will be getting bumped around, cause a spin, etc, etc as it travels. If it's nice and microhoned/true, it's as good as it gets for Paintball. Just don't go out expecting to find Shilen, Noveske or a Remy 5R for a paintball gun. I think we can all agree on that.

P. S. Bayo and core sample comments were great! Thank you for those.

TEARDROP Freak Tips/Fronts any color, any condition

Last edited by ShoeBoxSHOCK : 03-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
ShoeBoxSHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM #36
jweav151

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost93 View Post
Everyone knows longer is always better, man.

That's not completely true. All well made, higher end barrels will shoot basically the same. There are some cheaper barrels out there that are just junk though.
Just to expand on this; the price you pay for a higher end barrel is the consistency of the bore, the interior finish and the porting at the end. Even if it's not 100% mirror polished smooth, the more uniform the interior finish and bore are the more likely it will be that the paint will just slide through without picking up an unwanted spin. You could bore match perfectly and if the interior finish is not uniform the paint could pick up a spin which will cause it to curve. This is where bore sizing comes into play as well; if you overbore too much the ball will just roll along the bottom, pick up a forward spin then drop like crazy when it exits. The porting at the end of the barrel is also important since the air being forced out of the barrel by the paint is flowing into the air outside the barrel causing turbulence that the paint has to travel through and could be affected by. Some barrels reduce this effect by including a lot of ports to reduce the amount of air leaving the end and creating the turbulence. Others, use fins to channel the air leaving to a laminar or at least less turbulent condition.

All that said, I do agree you shouldn't spend more than like $75 on a barrel, unless it's a kit or you want a lightweight carbon-fiber or you want a shrouded milsim or something. Yes, the $150 barrel may be more precisely machined and polished than the $75 barrel, but eventually you reach a point where better manufacturing stops equating to better noticeable performance.

And being in land development, the core samples comment was pretty good.
jweav151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 PM #37
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
12-16 are the best. this is because of the rate of accelartion vs the resistence of friction in the barrel. the accuracy in the 12-16 range is minimal (assuming you have the same company, amount of use etc.) so there is no definitive "best" i use 14 for rec and 16 for speedball... i use the extra bit of size so i can play a little bit more loose while being able to still press into the bunker, but i suppose i only really need the 14
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 PM #38
pbxpanic

why on the world would anyone want a 20"+ barrerl? lol
pbxpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 PM #39
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbxpanic View Post
why on the world would anyone want a 20"+ barrerl? lol
For woodsball people who don't understand physics proven by everyday people... But I couldn't imagine switching hands with that behind a tree as tight as you can get
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM #40
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Over 16 is pointless -- see all the other comments and searching.
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM #41
robot0ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
For woodsball people who don't understand physics proven by everyday people... But I couldn't imagine switching hands with that behind a tree as tight as you can get
im sorry, do all "woodsball people" not understand physics. i didnt know that. ill tell you what, come to my pathetic woodsball field where none of us know physics and i will beat you in the face with my 3998890 inch barrel. and the only difference is that it takes a tiny bit more air to get the ball to 300 fps by the time it leaves the barrel. theres a point in paintball where people could care less that they use one thousandth of a psi more to get the ball up to speed

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 AM #42
ogbone

I wont claim that any brand of barrel is better or worse, i believe its alll preference.

But if you who claim 3" or 11" is all that matters for any thing heres how you collect your data. Take your well matched paint to barrel como to a chrono with an insert barrell and put a nice little short barrel on the gun and chrono it. Switch tips to a much longer barrel and your chrono result will change. But every gun style has a point where anymore length causes drag and chrono speed goes down. very easy to try this out. Now if you do or do not think this can change accuracy is one debate but if one size gets you the most fps you are increasing your shots per tank by lowering pressure needed to shoot the ball. That also results in less wear and tear on some guns. Some.
ogbone is offline   Reply With Quote