Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM #1093
dm7killer153

Its unbelievable that they would upgrade so throughout the transfer window only to give their most valuable player away to a direct rival. After the Carolza signing, I had a feeeling he would be sold since Arsenal are big on balancing the budget but wow, to ManU? I hope that move doesn't bite them in the *** come crunch time at the end of the season. (It will. Its Arsenal.)

Rooney, Persie and Kagawa up front? I'm trying to find a foot in mouth smiley for my out of the top 4 prediction for ManU. ManU absolutely will not finish outside the top 4.

I'm also hearing Alex Song is likely out the door but the news has been drowned out by the RVP saga. Way to take 2 steps forward, one step backwards...

Last edited by dm7killer153 : 08-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.
dm7killer153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM #1094
ajdx1000
GnarKill

ajdx1000 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lol. Don't forget about Welbeck and Chicharito.

I still have to say I agree with what the majority of the bookeys in England have as their tables.
1. City
2. United
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. Newcastle

I think 1 and 2 could go either way, and 4-7 will be very close.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
ajdx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM #1095
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdx1000 View Post
Lol. Don't forget about Welbeck and Chicharito.

I still have to say I agree with what the majority of the bookeys in England have as their tables.
1. City
2. United
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. Newcastle

I think 1 and 2 could go either way, and 4-7 will be very close.
Agreed. It should be a good fight quite a way down the table this season.

As for the price tag on RVP, he is injury prone, has one year left on his contract, and is 29 years old. Last year was the first time he had a good full season without injury. Arsenal knew he was going somewhere else next year after his contract ends, so they sold him now rather than keep him one year and receive nothing. Two other clubs dropped out when the price tag went over 20mil. At 22mil - 24mil (pounds, not $), he is a gamble, but a gamble I am glad to see SAF take. Hernandez is not out of his sophomore slump, and Welbeck is not consistent enough.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 PM #1096
dm7killer153

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
Agreed. It should be a good fight quite a way down the table this season.

As for the price tag on RVP, he is injury prone, has one year left on his contract, and is 29 years old. Last year was the first time he had a good full season without injury. Arsenal knew he was going somewhere else next year after his contract ends, so they sold him now rather than keep him one year and receive nothing. Two other clubs dropped out when the price tag went over 20mil. At 22mil - 24mil (pounds, not $), he is a gamble, but a gamble I am glad to see SAF take. Hernandez is not out of his sophomore slump, and Welbeck is not consistent enough.

custar
Agreed, they both have work to do. Chicarito has a great feel for the game, excellent positioning and awareness (as evidenced by nearly all of his tap in goals last year) and is a great poacher, but his game needs to elevate. He lacks an above average first touch and cannot create his own shot unless he out-paces a defender. Welbeck is certainly on his way to becoming very good and had a solid Euro tournament to back it up.

RVP will be in constant rotation so the injury bug may not be an issue, but I do wonder how he will mesh with the rest of the team.

Is Kagawa now a deeper lying, Tony Kroos-type attacking-but-deep-lying-mid with Rooney as a creative striker/ false 9 role-ish and RVP as the primary striker? I'm not quite sure as to where RVP fits in if any ManU supporters care to shed some knowledge. Seems like a waste of Kagawa's offensive ability to leave him lying deep.

Last edited by dm7killer153 : 08-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
dm7killer153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM #1097
nePhantom
I love my Cheese

Good move for United. But I think their weak midfield and defense will screw them. As for offense, theyre as good as anyone.
nePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM #1098
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm7killer153 View Post
Is Kagawa now a deeper lying, Tony Kroos-type attacking-but-deep-lying-mid with Rooney as a creative striker/ false 9 role-ish and RVP as the primary striker? I'm not quite sure as to where RVP fits in if any ManU supporters care to shed some knowledge. Seems like a waste of Kagawa's offensive ability to leave him lying deep.
I have pondered this also, but first I will take a bite of crow. When SAF picked up Kagawa, I underestimated Kagawa. He is better in winning the ball and retaining possession than I thought. I don't think he is a Keane-type mid, but he does police the area better than I thought he would. That said, RVP, Rooney, and Kagawa (and Welbeck when others are being rested) can make an interesting attack up top. When asked to, Rooney can fall back and play mid. RVP can play either striker position. Kagawa may be the schemer playing generally behind the strikers but well forward. This should allow better possession and would allow Nani/Young/Valencia to bomb up on the sides aggressively. This could be a fun year.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams

Old feedback thread
Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 PM #1099
JohnnyBananas

LOL ohhhhh RVP.

But for real tho...why haven't Chelsea picked up a rightback and a center back? Or like..a good midfielder?
JohnnyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM #1100
Somnambulistz
DirtyDeeds,DoneWithSheep

Annual Supporting Member
Butterscotch scone anyone?

PBN SOCCER THREAD (SPORTS) LIVERPOOL F.C.

"i know that it must totally suck to be a black man nurse trapped in a white man's body but the white devil and i have our own paternity problems to deal with, i need my step fathers sperm......."
Somnambulistz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM #1101
nePhantom
I love my Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBananas View Post
LOL ohhhhh RVP.

But for real tho...why haven't Chelsea picked up a rightback and a center back? Or like..a good midfielder?
Isnt Marin a midfielder?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 PM #1102
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm7killer153 View Post
Agreed, they both have work to do. Chicarito has a great feel for the game, excellent positioning and awareness (as evidenced by nearly all of his tap in goals last year) and is a great poacher, but his game needs to elevate. He lacks an above average first touch and cannot create his own shot unless he out-paces a defender. Welbeck is certainly on his way to becoming very good and had a solid Euro tournament to back it up.

RVP will be in constant rotation so the injury bug may not be an issue, but I do wonder how he will mesh with the rest of the team.

Kagawa and Rooney are interchangeable for me. As Rooney has gotten older, he drops more and more into midfield. That is the main reason Rooney and Tevez did not mesh in their time together is because they both like to drop deep, find the ball, then make a late run into the spaces between defenders after they can survey the field. I seriously see Rooney becoming more of an attacking midfielder / supporting forward as a striker as the years go on. His passing and vision are too good to keep him back to goal.

Berbatov was supposed to be the true back to goal striker but his work rate did not match what Manchester United needs and further he has a tendency to hold up play too much which is the opposite of the breakneck counterattacking that United really is world class at.

Hernandez is good at it but really needs more refinement. He is really good at back to goal and getting turned quickly, he just needs that consistency.

I see RVP slotting well into that lone forward role allowing Rooney, Kagawa, Nani, Valencia, and really whoever else to sit in the space behind him. He is good at turning and getting quality shots away also as well as quality passes.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 PM #1103
SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA
Darwin is watching you.

SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Berbatov's issue was not his work rate, but rather the lack of faith and playing time.

51st Orca Street Hustlers
SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 AM #1104
ajdx1000
GnarKill

No it was definitely his work rate and perceived lack of it.

http://dailychilli.com/sports/5-spor...-playing-style

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 AM #1105
SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA
Darwin is watching you.

You never gave him the ball. He is a player that is very rare and is in his own class. He is better than Van Persie, but he will never meet that potential at united.

Everyone says that going to City is a death sentence to a career, but Berbatov showed that in truth it's a possibility at any big club.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 AM #1106
custar

Quote:
I see RVP slotting well into that lone forward role allowing Rooney, Kagawa, Nani, Valencia, and really whoever else to sit in the space behind him. He is good at turning and getting quality shots away also as well as quality passes.
RVP is also good at finding holes in the opposition back line and exploiting them. Kagawa and Rooney have shown good vision and passing which should give Van Persie the ball at his feet in those holes.

custar

Samuel Adams

Old feedback thread
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM #1107
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA View Post
You never gave him the ball. He is a player that is very rare and is in his own class. He is better than Van Persie, but he will never meet that potential at united.

Everyone says that going to City is a death sentence to a career, but Berbatov showed that in truth it's a possibility at any big club.
You being daft again? Serious question, you have seen Berbatov play yes?

And what are you going on about with City? How is City any different than any other club with money?

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM #1108
SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA
Darwin is watching you.

Quote:
You being daft again? Serious question, you have seen Berbatov play yes?

And what are you going on about with City? How is City any different than any other club with money?
Berbatov is one of the best lone strikers in the world. He is lazy off the ball, but when it's at his feet he does things that are simply amazing.

Also what I was saying is is this thread (and many others) City is seen as a place for people to go and have their career die, but it is true for big clubs as a whole.

The daft comments are getting old by the way. I'm far too lazy to really put in any effort unless asked to and you really fail to be patient and or think in more than one way.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM #1109
JohnnyBananas

Marin is a winger.

Somnam - I am so down for a scone.

Berbatov, awesome sure, but if you're lazy who gives a ****? I hated Drogba when he got lazy, but unlike Berbs he could step it up for long periods of time. If you don't put in the effort you're not worth it. Berbatov has always been lazy as **** off the ball.
JohnnyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 PM #1110
SwEeT HoMe AlAbAmA
Darwin is watching you.

When he gets a string of games though he does ridiculous things. If you're good enough to stand still and score, why not?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 PM #1111
ajdx1000
GnarKill

Quote:
Berbatov is one of the best lone strikers in the world. He is lazy off the ball, but when it's at his feet he does things that are simply amazing.

Also what I was saying is is this thread (and many others) City is seen as a place for people to go and have their career die, but it is true for big clubs as a whole.

The daft comments are getting old by the way. I'm far too lazy to really put in any effort unless asked to and you really fail to be patient and or think in more than one way.
YOU JUST FREAKING SAID HE WASN'T BENCHED FOR HIS WORKRATE. You have got to seriously be kidding me. Stop being so ridiculously daft. If you don't know what daft means, look it up.

If you are too lazy to watch soccer and make somewhat educated comments, then why comment? I'm not asking for a thesis but I do expect you to at least think about what you are saying before you pound your keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBananas View Post
Marin is a winger.

Somnam - I am so down for a scone.

Berbatov, awesome sure, but if you're lazy who gives a ****? I hated Drogba when he got lazy, but unlike Berbs he could step it up for long periods of time. If you don't put in the effort you're not worth it. Berbatov has always been lazy as **** off the ball.
He is absolutely fantastic with the ball. But like you said, he does not put in a shift defensively. United is pretty blue collar in that aspect, all the flair players are expected to do defensive work. Even Ronaldo.

Quote:
When he gets a string of games though he does ridiculous things. If you're good enough to stand still and score, why not?
Because that is not the United style? He is 100% lethal with a ball, however that kind of play can be very cancerous to the chemistry of a team. You play, you should know that, you have probably even experienced it. It wears thin on the rest of the players when they see someone only playing one side of the game and not doing the dirty work. Cuahtemoc Blanco is a great example of this. The guy is like 45 years old playing in the mexican second divison, is ridiculously lethal with the ball, but really only runs in a 20 yard area the entire game. He did the same thing with the Fire in the MLS. The big difference is that he is in second/third tier leagues whereas Berbatov is in possibly the most competitive league in the World.

Trust

www.aaronsjaffe.com
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM #1112
custar

You beat me to it, Aaron. A side that is not more than the sum of its constituent parts is not a team, it is a collection of players. Hard work will beat talent that doesn't work hard.

custar

Samuel Adams

Old feedback thread
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM #1113
nePhantom
I love my Cheese

Individually Berbatov is one of the best strikers in the world. That being said, IDK if I buy the whole "he got benched because he doesn't play defense" thing. I can't really remember when RVP last played defense, but then again, I don't watch Arsenal often. United need to get rid of Wooney, I hate how he plays. Falls over then absolutely screams at the refs when they don't give him calls. It's like watching Spain but more violent.

Also, Liverpool signed some guy I've never heard of. Oussama Assaidi? Used to play for Heerenveen?