Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 AM #1
pballin77
Oatmeal makes you healthy

pballin77 helped look for balloons
pballin77 is playing at Living Legends III
pballin77 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballin77 supports Team VICIOUS
Anyone live on their own?

If so, what's it like? bills really hard, or easy to pay? I am about to live on my own soon during high school. How is ST's experiences with this?
ASM Council
ST: Music: Guitar thread: OG
pballin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 AM #2
Grommzz
• Ellis Imagery •

Annual Supporting Member
It's quite easy when you work.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 AM #3
ngroat7007 (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
During highschool? That **** is going to be cool with friends but that's assuming you will have friends when you are working the entire time you are not at chill to pay for basic essentials.
ngroat7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 AM #4
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
everyone I know who lived on their own in highschool ended up dropping out to work more shifts to make rent, I wouldn't recommend it. (then again, rent prices are over $1000/month and vacancy is less than 0.3% here, so it might be a bit different for you)
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 AM #5
danthepete
amidoinitrite?

danthepete has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
danthepete has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
danthepete has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I've lived on my own for 2 years. It can be hard as **** but it's great also.

Better hope you dont get sick bad or often. Second year I was in my apartment I got 3 staph infections in 4 months, medical bills up the ***(and yes I have insurance.)

There will also be a lot more bills than you might think. And they all will be a little more than what you expect them to be.

You also need to make 3X your monthly rent or loan payments to live as comfortable as your expecting too.... Nothing sucks more than having nothing in the house to eat with 3 more days until you get paid.

Dont bring any pets into the picture until you've lived on your own and been comfortable for atleast 4 months. Even though you can get them cheap, and they are realitively cheap to take care of, you dont know when they might get sick. Trust me, they DO get sick.

No matter how clean you keep your place, if you live in an apartment complex expect bugs from neighbor apartments, and noise. If you have kids living above you, they will wake up at 6 am and run around pounding on the floors (your ceilings). I always recommend trying to get the highest floor possible.

There is a ton more but ill let others fill you in or youll figure it out on your own. Also if youre still in highschool your attempt at this will fail because you dont have the time to work full time, and I dont think any apartment will rent to you without a cosigner. but good luck
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 AM #6
ngroat7007 (Banned)

You are in ja you really should not do it if possible. Why are you doing this anyway? What's the reason?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 AM #7
DrewDodson89

Annual Supporting Member
How much is your rent? How much do you make a month? Other bills like car payments?

Kiwi!
ಠ_ಠ
DrewDodson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 AM #8
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is a Supporting Member
CyberThug is a founding member
CyberThug is reppin' sidebar 4 life
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
I lived on my own for several years after my divorce.

I have custody of a child, so that made it interesting, just be smart with your income, always have enough for rent, bills and food.

Splurge once and a while on something for yourself, but always keep your bills paid and rent up to date. Once you fall behind on one of those it can be very difficult to get back on top.
CyberThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 AM #9
HKARMYBALLER

Annual Supporting Member
In high school that's going to be ridiculously hard. Make as much money as you can, hopefully it'll be enough.
HKARMYBALLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 AM #10
fock0
Don't Tread On Me.

fock0 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommzz View Post
It's quite easy when you work.
this

also. **** builds character. i've always been independent growing up. i pretty much do everything by myself. i've become a great cook. i can cut my hair about as good as a barber.among many other things, i'm pretty much self sufficient.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 AM #11
DrewDodson89

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fock0 View Post
this

also. **** builds character. i've always been independent growing up. i pretty much do everything by myself. i've become a great cook. i can cut my hair about as good as a barber.among many other things, i'm pretty much self sufficient.
Cut my hair for ten bucks?

Kiwi!
ಠ_ಠ
DrewDodson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 AM #12
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

if your working full time its not that bad. but in highschool it would definately be a ***** unless youve scored some awesome part time job or have help.

im assuming your still on your parents healt/car insurance too, which helps. if your 18-19 and try to insure a vehicle in your name its ungodly expensive no matter what it is. money can get tight real quick if **** hits the fan and you have to buy a new one too.

groceries are ****ing expensive.
internet and mobile phone bills are pretty expensive.

if you live in a place that has decent insulation and **** in the walls utilities arent too bad by yourself. my water is usually about $30 and $50-$70 for electric or gas. (depends if its winter or summer, 1 goes up and 1 goes down, then vice versa lol).

gas is getting ****ing expensive.

demographic plays a huge role too, around here $40k a year is a lot and you can buy a nice house for less than $100k. my rent is only $350 for your basic 2 bedroom brick apartment, but with central heat & air, covered parking, decent neighbors and the place was remodeled a couple years ago because the landlord takes care of his ****, its pretty nice imo...but in big cities a ****hole apartment can still run $600+.

honestly i do not regret waiting a couple years to move out. get a decent part time job or something so you can buy a decent car and save money while still living with the parentals so you can live more like youd want when you do move out....and not have to use cardboard boxes for end tables.

but if you can manage it, yea its pretty ****ing awesome.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 02-24-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM #13
hunter121 (Banned)

You just saved me the trouble of reposting

hunter121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 AM #14
Gunhand
Keep On Truckin'

Gunhand owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
its a lot more expensive than you think. I make about 6x my monthly rent of 700 bucks, but between truck payment, gas and bills it takes up alot more money than I expected
Gunhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM #15
Commander_Bubbles
KCMO

dont move in with a girlfriend, dont move in with a friend. biggest things to avoid. money strains relationships. so unless you can afford a place entirely on your own, dont move out

"Originally posted by John: I got 99 problems by my last count..."
Commander_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM #16
ACE159
I <3 DRUMMING

Moving into my apt in june. Right now I live in a on campus house so you can say I live on my own. Loans will be taking care of house bills ($350 a month ) but I work so the rest of the bills shouldn't be a huge problem. Just don't spend money on **** you don't need and be smart with food. Don't over buy meat and things that will spoil and eat healthy, don't settle for cheap ****ty food. Living on your own can be a blast and a pain in the *** at the same time. Goodluck
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."~George Carlin
2012 Scavenger Hunt Champs- STarmy
ACE159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM #17
Patience.

If you actually want to finish high school, I'd advise against it. It's just added stress you don't need.
― Pema Chödrön

fashoooow: i could seriosly jack off to your voice, can you moan for me?
Squirrelly Wrath: Well I'll be damned. Patience was right.
Pirate Mafia: No hospital visit no gain, bring a defib with you on each run
Patience. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM #18
pballin77
Oatmeal makes you healthy

pballin77 helped look for balloons
pballin77 is playing at Living Legends III
pballin77 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pballin77 supports Team VICIOUS
Well here's how it is. My mom died and I get 1400 a month from the government. I make roughly 800 a month from my job. My car is paid off, and my dad got disability, so I have roughly 20k in the bank to fall back on. I'm thinking about paying rent six months in advance or so. I also may end up with a room mate who has a decent job. This will be my senior year in high school

Edit: living with my dad is not possible. He is a crack addict who just got introduced to heroin. So, I'm either getting emancipated and leaving, or moving out the day I'm eighteen. Living with him, all my money will be gone and **** will be stolen. I just have to grow up fast
ASM Council
ST: Music: Guitar thread: OG

Last edited by pballin77 : 02-24-2012 at 11:47 AM.
pballin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM #19
ngroat7007 (Banned)

It is so stupid to move out on your own while in high school. Really really stupid. Dont do it if you want to have the life you expected. If you want your class to look at you on facebook and think your life is a joke then by all means go for it.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM #20
ngroat7007 (Banned)

I am sorry about your mom.

now like I said before DONT DO IT!!! Live at home and start a Roth Ira with the money. Put 5k into it and leave it alone. If you keep up with it you will be so well off when you are older. Its such a waste and stupid to blow that money on your own place when you dont need it and iwhen you wont get anything out of it.

Really. you have the money to do it but that does not mean you should. It is such a waste.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM #21
hjy2ye (Banned)

2k7 - hmmmm even if ur a senior u joined before you were 13, reported.
hjy2ye is offline   Reply With Quote