timmytime94 is for the Gunfight
timmytime94 posts videos on PbNation
timmytime94 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
timmytime94 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
timmytime94 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
timmytime94 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptObvious View Post
Also- on the whole Cop thing. Look up kapp_badbloodz (you can easily find him by looking at who started the Air Force thread). He is a po-po man and enjoys it. He's really good at his job, too, and is a wealth of info on the subject. Don't knock it 'til you've heard it all.
I'll make sure to look him up, I'm really just trying to get a feel for whats out there, and see how other people enjoy their jobs. Stuff can be easily made to look appealing on paper..
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 PM #44
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytime94 View Post
I'll make sure to look him up, I'm really just trying to get a feel for whats out there, and see how other people enjoy their jobs. Stuff can be easily made to look appealing on paper..
I agree. They make my job look amazing.

Quote:
Evaluates, installs, removes and repairs low observable coatings. Designs, repairs, modifies and fabricates aircraft, metal, plastic, composite, advanced composite, LO, and bonded structural parts and components. Applies preservative treatments to aircraft, aerospace ground equipment (AGE), and support equipment (SE).

Applies low observable materials and coatings to aircraft. Repairs low observable and metallic structural parts and components to meet requirements for preserving structural integrity. Assesses damage impacts to aircraft signatures. Advises on structural and low observable repair, modification, and corrosion protection treatment with respect to original strength, weight, and contour to maintain structural and low observable integrity. Assembles and repairs using special fasteners and adhesives. Checks repairs for serviceability according to specifications and technical publications. Manufactures layouts, jigs, fixtures, forms, and molds.

Removes Radar Absorbent Material (RAM) by sanding, scraping or pulling using manual and powered methods. Fabricates repair parts from RAM, using standard and peculiar cutting tools and adheres them to aircraft surfaces and fasteners using vacuum bags, fixtures, and other pressure inducing processes. Applies scrim material to RAM and aircraft surfaces in preparation for RAM cover strip installation. Installs RAM cover strips to panel and skin gaps. Applies RAM pastes to aircraft surface gaps, voids, and gouges. Sands and skives RAM and RAM pastes to required contours. Repairs low observable treatments on polycarbonate transparencies using edge sealing compounds, adhesives, primers, and conductive films. Performs repair actions to ceramic RAM coatings associated with engine hot areas and adjacent fairings using grit blasters and approved high temperature curing equipment. Identifies, removes, and treats corrosion using mechanical and chemical procedures. Applies aircraft paint schemes and markings.

Removes low observable finishes and treatments by sanding, scraping, cutting, gouging, and pulling, using manual and powered methods. Sands surface finishes to specified depths and widths to prepare them for proper reapplication of finishes using manual and powered methods. Determines extent of damage and/or scope of task and performs finish and treatment removal tasks accordingly. Removes panel, door, and skin fasteners to gain access to aircraft interior and replaces fasteners following maintenance. Cleans aircraft interior and exterior surfaces and gaps to prepare them for filler treatments, fairing materials, and other follow-on maintenance. Mixes multi-part adhesives, sealants, fillers, fairing materials, and organic topcoats. Applies, sands, and skives fillers and fairing materials to Technical Order Data (TOD) specifications for waviness, step condition, and aerodynamic smoothness. Applies organic low observable topcoats and rain erosion materials using spray equipment, brushes and rollers. Uses ambient and accelerated cure processes to cure adhesives, sealants, fillers, fairing materials, and organic topcoats. Uses planform alignment procedures to determine proper repair angles and dimensions for low observable finishes and treatments. Uses metalworking equipment and tools to form, cut, bend, and fasten replacement or repair parts to damaged structures and components. Fabricates, repairs, and assembles tubing and cable assemblies for aerospace weapon systems and AGE/SE. Maintains and inspects tools and equipment. Performs operator maintenance and service inspections on shop equipment and tools. Ensures lockout and tagout procedures are accomplished prior to performing shop equipment maintenance. Stores, handles, and disposes of hazardous waste and materials according to environmental standards and classifications.

Inspects coatings, structures, and components to determine operational status. Interprets inspection findings, and determines corrective actions. Posts entries and maintains maintenance and inspection records. Recommends methods to improve equipment performance and maintenance procedures. Uses automated maintenance systems. Inputs, validates, and analyzes data processed to automated systems. Clears and closes out completed maintenance discrepancies in automated maintenance systems. Evaluates structural damage to aircraft structures or items and applies appropriate repair procedures to include application of adhesive films, prepregs, foam, and tape; and scarfing, layup, vacuum bagging, and accelerated curing techniques. Performs inspection and repair procedures for graphite Bismaleimide resin (BMI), graphite epoxy woven fabric, and uni-directional assemblies to include use of adhesive film, foam, tape, scarfing, lay-up and bagging techniques associated with hot bonders. Selects core materials to complete repairs, makes templates to use as patterns, and assures proper ply orientation and de-bulking. Selects bond form and prepares tools; lays-up; mixes and applies two part adhesives and sealants; installs temperature monitoring devices; cures adhesives; and otherwise completes repairs. Specifies curing process/specification to autoclave/curing oven operator for the part to be cured. Removes completed items from bond forms after the cure cycle. Inspects final assembly for visual damage or flaws.

Specialty Qualifications:
Knowledge. The following knowledge is mandatory: low observable aircraft construction features; identification and characteristics of materials; repair of coatings, low observable materials, metal tubing, cable, plastic, fiberglass, bonded honeycomb, and advanced composite structural components; shop drawing and layout techniques; shop mathematics; corrosion identification, removal, repair, and prevention; cleaning of coatings, low observable materials and metals; application of protective coatings, low observable materials, and markings; proper use, mixing, and storage of acids, solvents, alcohol, caustics, primers, and paints; and proper handling and disposal of hazardous waste and materials.

Education. For entry into this specialty, completion of high school with courses in mathematics, algebra, chemistry, physics, mechanical drawing, and metal working is desirable.

Training. Completion of a basic low observable aircraft structural maintenance course is mandatory for award of AFSC 2A735.

Experience. The following experience is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:

2A755. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 2A735. Also, experience in functions such as fabricating, repairing, assembling, or installing aircraft low observable materials, metals, plastics, fiberglass, advanced composites, or honeycomb parts; or corrosion identification, removal, and applying coatings and markings.

2A775. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 2A755. Also, experience supervising functions dealing with corrosion identification, prevention, and repair; applying protective coatings and markings; or fabricating, assembling, and repairing aircraft low observable materials, metal, fiberglass, advanced composites, honeycomb, and plastics.

Other. The following are mandatory for entry into this specialty: For award and retention of AFSC 2A7X5, completed and current National Agency Check, Local Agency Checks and Credit (NACLC) according to AFI 31-501, Personnel Security Program Management. NOTE: Award of the 3-skill level without a completed NACLC is authorized provided an interim NACLC has been granted according to AFI 31-501.

Oh, yea, and when we remove RAM, it's all by hand. All pneumatic tools that have been given to use SUCK and tend to lead to more damage than anything.
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 PM #45
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
That is my biggest fear of the Nuke program, 14 hrs of working on nuclear reactors 10 hrs off equals up to a lot of time around all that radiation.

On a side note, is watching paint dry less boring when you know you're getting paid for it?
You won't get cancer from a Naval Nuclear Reactor. You can run into a reactor compartment in your banana hammock to put out a fire, and come out fine. Nuclear weapons either, but my buddy that lost a nut to cancer swears it was the warheads.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM #46
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
MAAs I've known have liked their job. BUT they do fun stuff like not wearing uniforms while they are bodyguards to VIPs.

Hmm... most of the people I know are outside the norm, myself included.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:38 AM #47
emsplatt

Annual Supporting Member
emsplatt donated to help Peyton Trent
emsplatt supports our troops
Quote:
That is my biggest fear of the Nuke program, 14 hrs of working on nuclear reactors 10 hrs off equals up to a lot of time around all that radiation.
You will not get cancer from anything you are exposed to in the nuke program. Enlisted do 6 years, officers do 5 years. If you are a nuke electrician or electronics tech you will spend over a year and a half of your enlistment in school, 3 months less for mechanics. Officers spend a year in the nuclear training schools in addition to whatever college/ocs/rotc thing you did.

I was a nuke ET on a sub and got out in 2009. Like has been said, the amount of bull**** you put up with in the nuke navy is mind blowing but it can be completely worth it in the long run. If you are interested in energy, public utility, chemical/chemistry, quality assurance, or nuclear careers this can be a great way to get your foot in the door. I now work at a natural gas fired power plant and absolutely love my job and only got it because of the navy training. If you are looking for fast advancement then this is also a good way to go. I made E-6 in less than 6 years.

Some things I hear have changed since I was in but I would be willing to try and answer any questions you might have about the nuke program.