Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-25-2014, 10:06 AM #1
CNEPACE

School us on Bolt Spring selection

Ok, I received my Infamous Boss Bolt with three springs and a recommended starting setting. What would be nice is an explanation of what happens when you change the spring from the short, medium, and long. I mean at what point and for what reason would one say, "Hmm, I need the longer spring..." ?? Is there any science to this? LOL. Any help is appreciated. Also, with an aftermarket bolt like the boss is this tuning method still applicable?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3761332
CNEPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM #2
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

Bolt speed is reduced with stronger springs, meaning it may be gentler on paint. Less resistance may mean lower pressure and/ or dwell may be used.

New ideas being shown at: inceptionforums.com
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM #3
CNEPACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Bolt speed is reduced with stronger springs, meaning it may be gentler on paint. Less resistance may mean lower pressure and/ or dwell may be used.
So basically use the lightest or shortest spring you can get away with to decrease sound and increase efficiency? Then if you are breaking paint go to the next stiffer/longer spring?
CNEPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM #4
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

I prefer running the stock or long spring with a -016 (instead of the stock -017) on the rear and polishing the poppet, running a -013 xring on the poppet and tuning it. The spring is spec'd pretty well stock IMO, so I prefer not to mess with it.

New ideas being shown at: inceptionforums.com
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:43 PM #5
imped4now
BTFU

has been a member for 10 years
I've had the best results with the stock bolt spring, stock bolt and a little oring work. No reason to mess with something that works so incredibly well.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 PM #6
GrizzNazzty

I'm having a terrible time figuring out what spring, dwell and pressure combo to use on my Axe. I've been messing around with the Boss XSV bolt and springs... But I'm chopping every 15 balls or so.

Empire Axe(shockwave board)
Boss XSV bolt and springs
Deadlywind Fibur, freak inserts
Prophecy Z2 hopper

Currently using medium spring, 140psi, 6ms dwell

Started with short spring, 3ms dwell and 160 psi... Those sucked, I chopped so much paint. So now I've just been messing around trying to find the sweet spot
GrizzNazzty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 PM #7
fenskedeathcore9
Jersey Militia Player

fenskedeathcore9 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
180 psi is the sweet spot I'd say. Medium spring is a start with dwell at 16. Since all guns are different, see which spring suits your gun best with those settings
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM #8
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzNazzty View Post
I'm having a terrible time figuring out what spring, dwell and pressure combo to use on my Axe. I've been messing around with the Boss XSV bolt and springs... But I'm chopping every 15 balls or so.

Prophecy Z2 hopper

Started with short spring, 3ms dwell and 160 psi... Those sucked, I chopped so much paint. So now I've just been messing around trying to find the sweet spot
Funny thing when people are breaking paint. They almost never say they are running the fragile paint o-ring. See if I am breaking paint and there is a part that is suppose to help me not break paint, I try that. Not trying to be a smart ***. Just trying to understand why people don't try that.

Now to the spring question. Yes if you go up a size in spring it does slow forward bolt speed and does handle paint better too. I never recommend running the stock spring with my bolt. It can stop the bolt from seal the breech during the firing cycle. But if you wanted to you could run the stock spring but you would want to remove the shock spacer and o-ring 1st.
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM #9
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
ball chops

Quote:

Prophecy Z2 hopper

If you're actually chopping paint, instead of getting barrel breaks, then I would do a couple of things before I even mess with the bolt. First, make sure your eyes are working and not dirty. If they aren't you're going to chop a lot!

Make sure your detents are 100% functional and not sticking in the open position. Sometimes they can get gummed up or the small springs inside can get wonky.

Check to make sure your ball detection time(I can't remember what they call it in the manual) is at least stock, but I'd bump it up another couple of milliseconds. This will give brittle paint more time to settle in the eyes before it's fired.

Lower the stack tension on your hopper. The way to do this is in your Z2 manual somewhere. You want cold brittle paint in the ball stack to deflect up and away from bolt impacts easily. If the hopper is pushing them down hard, these paintballs can't deflect away from the bolt so they crack instead. Then when you fire the gun you have a mess.

Once you've done all that if you need to you can increase the spring tension to slow the bolt down and help prevent the cracking of balls in the stack. I would start with the medium boss spring and the fragile paint oring. Then tune the gun up and give it a whirl.

Now, if you're getting barrel breaks instead of chops, you might want to raise your dwell time so the gun can fire with much lower pressure. This will create a longer slower acceleration on the paintball, which means less stress on the shell. Therefore less chance of it blowing up in the barrel. You can also achieve lower pressure by running a shorter spring but this may also bring you back into chopping/clipping territory like above since paint brittle enough to blow up from an air blast is most likely going to cause other problems. So......again I'd run the medium spring.

In combination I would also make sure you run a pretty large overbore on your barrel so the paintballs have more room to distort and flex when fired. Obviously you'll loose efficiency and maybe a bit of accuracy with the larger bore barrel but you won't hit anything with a barrel full of paint either, so it's a worthy trade off.

Last but not least, I find in this colder weather you don't want to use the same tourney grade stuff that breaks so easy in the heat of the summer. You want to switch to some mid range paint. Tourney grade that's meant to break easy in summer......is just going to break WAY TOO easy in the cold, and may not be usable at all. On the flip side.......the mid grade that doesn't break well in the summer, should break just fine in the cold. Again, don't worry that the cheap stuff isn't as accurate, since a barrel full of broken tourney grade is going to be far less accurate.

If you don't have multiple paint options you can try to condition your paint. Leave it in a car with the heat on, so it's warm and flexible. Rotate cold pods in your pack for warm pods. If you can't do that, dump all the paint out in a box or two and let it soak up some moisture. This will make the shells a bit more flexible and forgiving.

Hope some of this helps.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:27 AM #10
GrizzNazzty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss33 View Post
Funny thing when people are breaking paint. They almost never say they are running the fragile paint o-ring. See if I am breaking paint and there is a part that is suppose to help me not break paint, I try that. Not trying to be a smart ***. Just trying to understand why people don't try that. Now to the spring question. Yes if you go up a size in spring it does slow forward bolt speed and does handle paint better too. I never recommend running the stock spring with my bolt. It can stop the bolt from seal the breech during the firing cycle. But if you wanted to you could run the stock spring but you would want to remove the shock spacer and o-ring 1st.
I drive past your store in Geneva almost every day. Maybe I could pop in and you could take a look? I'm just getting back into paintball after a nine year retirement, a run down of the gun would be great!
GrizzNazzty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 AM #11
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
I drive past your store in Geneva almost every day. Maybe I could pop in and you could take a look? I'm just getting back into paintball after a nine year retirement, a run down of the gun would be great!
That would be great. Call the shop when you plan on stopping by. 315-828-6875
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote