Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 PM #1
Arabesque.

Shards of Dalaya -- free MMO.

Shards of Dalaya is a free, completely custom Everquest EMU server. You must have all the expansions up to and including Gates of Discord installed to play SoD. While the developers don't officially endorse or promote "acquiring" it, you can find Everquest Titanium (the optimal and suggested install pack) on many torrent sites.

A little bit about the server: Shards of Dalaya is a very nostalgic and well made server; it's a throwback to the glory days of EQ -- before Luclin. SoD was created ~2004, and originally named Winter's Roar. After undergoing heavy maintenance and polishing, it is enjoying its most successful incarnation -- SoD 2.0. The server maintains an average of 300-650 active players depending on the time of day, in addition to thousands of active accounts. It was built and sustained on the ideology of a social atmosphere, which it executes well. Dalaya houses 120+ fully functional zones, which contain a full 10 tiers of content; the world is massive, but not intimidating. The staff -- including devs, GMs, and the web team -- are very active on the server, and hold enormously fun events pretty frequently. The developers recently released the first "expansion," which features a hefty portion of Kunark!

Personally, I love this server. I have played on and off for the last several years, and I always seem to come back to it in some capacity. The constant stream of new, exciting content coupled with the inviting mentality of most players and staffers has left me addicted to this game. The server's only stigma is its relatively small player base (mostly because its an EMU), which is a shame because it is so well kept. If you're looking for a new game or just want to try out a free one, Shards of Dalaya gets my biggest recommendation. I'd love to play with some of you fine ****ers.

Edit 8/10: the first expansion, Ikisith, has been released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoD Admin
We are ideologically opposed to having donations = material in game benefits. That is why our donation items are fun and interesting and not powerful.

If we ever got into the financial position where we would have to start giving out stats for cash we would seriously consider calling it a day. Luckily we have never even gotten close to that.
Some helpful links:
Forums - SoD's very active and informative forums.
Wiki - SoD's very own wiki! You'll find all the basic information you need about SoD on this site.
Fomelo - similar to Magelo, Fomelo is used to find information about different characters.
Vendor List - SoD's vendor list is used in lieu of EQLive's ****ty bazaar system.
Promotional video - SoD's official promotional video:

Does anyone else play? My toons are Budrick and Budster. Look for them in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
what do i do after i install it? were do i get shards of dalaya like server download
Assuming you already have the original Everquest game and all expansions up to and including Gates of Discord installed:

1.) Create an account for the server here. This is your game login and password. Remember it.

2.) Download the patcher here.

3.) Unzip the patcher to your C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest folder.

4.) Locate the patcher in your C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest, right click it, and send to desktop (make shortcut).

5.) Run the patcher. It should look something like this:

Make sure the patcher is directed to your Everquest folder (C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest; pictured) BEFORE patching. Also, if you're running a dual core system, make sure your processor is only utilizing one core BEFORE patching (bind affinity).

6.) Patch and run. Wait for it to patch.

7.) After patching a new window will pop up that looks something to the tune of:

Make sure the launch is directed to your eqgame.exe file (C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eqgame.exe; pictured) and it's fixed to your eqclient.ini BEFORE running the game. Basically the patcher should look exactly as pictured before you run the game.

8.) Run the game.

9.) READ THE RULES and edit your options.

10.) Login and connect using your information from step 1.

11.) Create a character and join the server (SoD Malath is the only one you can join, the other is for development).

12.) Have fun.

Twelve easy steps.

"Originally posted by Anonymous: DEAD PARENTS SHORT MIDGET WARRIOR MOVE TO POLYNESIA YOU GARDEN GNOME HOBBIT"

Last edited by Arabesque. : 08-18-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Arabesque. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM #2
NIB means New in Box
Selling stuff as usual

It's true, Shards is pretty damn awesome. I've been playing on and off for about 4 years. If anyone wants to get it going, hit me up in game. Character is Tyvec.

X-Ball "X" Bunker for sale HERE
Guns for Sale

Old Feedback
NIB means New in Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM #3
Arabesque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB means New in Box View Post
It's true, Shards is pretty damn awesome. I've been playing on and off for about 4 years. If anyone wants to get it going, hit me up in game. Character is Tyvec.
When are you going to stop being lazy and max your aggression? 5% is silly for t8, okay.

"Originally posted by Anonymous: DEAD PARENTS SHORT MIDGET WARRIOR MOVE TO POLYNESIA YOU GARDEN GNOME HOBBIT"
Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 PM #4
NIB means New in Box
Selling stuff as usual

Laziness prevails, it's on the todo list :[.

Wanted to put up a few pictures from server events and raids and what not.

It looks like a 10 year old PC game, plays pretty damn well though.

This game is seriously better than 90% of the pay to play MMO's I've played over the years. Despite the smaller population base, it's setup so you see and interact with more people than most 4000 person servers. That and there's enough content to keep you busy for as long as you'll want to play for.

Guns for Sale

Old Feedback
Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 PM #5
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA

zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't call this a free MMO, it's an emulation server of a pay-to-play MMO.

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM #6
Stealthgerbil
GERBIL

has been a member for 10 years
ive played it before and its pretty cool
Stealthgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM #7
Arabesque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
I wouldn't call this a free MMO, it's an emulation server of a pay-to-play MMO.
Actually, on the account of it being absolutely custom (as much as the client will allow), I'd call this an independent game by its own right. Yes, it runs off an older EQ client, but it is not bound to EQ.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM #8
Stealthgerbil
GERBIL

yea the zones are totally custom. while you can tell they made some zones be similar to the old design, some of the zones are completely different.

really the only downside is that there is no pvp to speak of. you can type /pvp to turn on your flag but not enough people do that
Stealthgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM #9
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA

zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque. View Post
Actually, on the account of it being absolutely custom (as much as the client will allow), I'd call this an independent game by its own right. Yes, it runs off an older EQ client, but it is not bound to EQ.
Let's take the middle ground and call it a mod of a pay-to-play MMO.

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 PM #10
Arabesque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
Let's take the middle ground and call it a mod of a pay-to-play MMO.
I support this conformation.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM #11
Absolutt (Banned)

i played this for a bit because i missed EQ so much

from everything i've read this is suppose to be the closest to pre-luclin EQ

dont have the time to play now though
Absolutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 PM #12
Arabesque.

Forgot to include this in the OP:

Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 PM #13
Rak_da_Fak
We bleed the same.

Rak_da_Fak is playing at Living Legends III
Rak_da_Fak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
WoW does it better.

GT: Smoootie
PSN: GibbedLOL
Rak_da_Fak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM #14
0aktree (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak_da_Fak View Post
WoW does it better.
you missed 4 very important letters for this game

e r f e
0aktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 PM #15
Absolutt (Banned)

Quote:
WoW does it better.
it really doesnt.

EQ was and always will be the best MMORPG of all time because it wasnt filled with a bunch of nerds who wanted only to get to the end game content as fast as possible, it was all casual players who formed friendships and enjoyed the finer details of the game as much as they did raiding etc.

I played WoW on and off for 2 years and never once was the experiance even close to EQ.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM #16
TTB
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutt View Post
it really doesnt.

EQ was and always will be the best MMORPG of all time because it wasnt filled with a bunch of nerds who wanted only to get to the end game content as fast as possible, it was all casual players who formed friendships and enjoyed the finer details of the game as much as they did raiding etc.

I played WoW on and off for 2 years and never once was the experiance even close to EQ.
No, it was a bunch of pretentious basement dwellers who if you didn't assimilate your behavior to their liking, you were shunned.

Raiding was a joke and was insanely easy if you knew basic game mechanics. Raiding in that game was more about wasting hours upon hours of your life instead of having skill.

WoW does it better.
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 PM #17
a nice bush (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
No, it was a bunch of pretentious basement dwellers who if you didn't assimilate your behavior to their liking, you were shunned.

Raiding was a joke and was insanely easy if you knew basic game mechanics. Raiding in that game was more about wasting hours upon hours of your life instead of having skill.

WoW does it better.
Are you a retard?

How does wow do raiding better? WoW's raiding is not based on skill, every single raid is basically choreographed down to where each person needs to stand, all raiding in wow is about is wasting hours upon your life doing the same thing over and over in every single raid.

Wow is hands down the worst, most linear/basic MMO currently on the market
a nice bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM #18
TTB
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by a nice bush View Post
Are you a retard?

How does wow do raiding better? WoW's raiding is not based on skill, every single raid is basically choreographed down to where each person needs to stand, all raiding in wow is about is wasting hours upon your life doing the same thing over and over in every single raid.

Wow is hands down the worst, most linear/basic MMO currently on the market
Please watch this in HD.

TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM #19
NIB means New in Box
Selling stuff as usual

Shards raids are head and shoulders above most of the content on EQ Live. That encounter looked fairly mild, by the way.

Guns for Sale

Old Feedback
Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM #20
Arabesque.

Quote:
WoW does it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post

WoW does it better.
1.) Shards of Dalaya's content is completely independent of EQLive, aside from the obvious correlation. Comparing SoD to EQLive is a mark of contempt among the entire Dalayan community because it is so much better than EQLive.

2.) If you felt compelled to do some research, you'd find that the general mentality of SoD's player base does not reflect any of the childish bull**** that you'd experience on EQLive.

3.) Shards of Dalaya is free to play.

4.) This thread is not about WoW. I don't care if you like WoW better -- good for you -- please take WoW discussion to the WoW thread.

5.) If you represent the WoW community, I'd say WoW doesn't do it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutt View Post
it really doesnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a nice bush View Post
Are you a retard?
Don't feed the trolls tia.

Last edited by Arabesque. : 08-12-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 PM #21
Absolutt (Banned)

so who of u guys plays it?

i might want to get back into it in wintertime