Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 PM #1
Mr. D0

What type of lube for a mechanical compact spider 2000?

What type of lube do I use for my mechanical spyder compact 2000? and where do I apply it to?
Mr. D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2015, 08:55 PM #2
Clanless

has been a member for 10 years
What type of bolt do you have? If everything is stock, you'll just want to use a thin gun oil on the o-rings of the bolt and the sealing face of the cup seal. If you have a delrin bolt with no o-rings, it doesn't need any lubrication, so just focus on the cup seal. If you are doing a complete break down, you'll want to also oil the o-rings on the valve, and oil the hammer and hammer o-ring.

That covers basic lubrication. If you install an inline regulator like a CP or Hyper 2/3, then you'll want to look at getting a good lubricating grease based on Dow 33. But most Spyders don't need anything more than gun oil. Dow 33 is overkill in most cases.

Feedback for Clanless
Clanless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 AM #3
Mr. D0

Yeah I think it's a stock bolt, I took the marker apart and found an old o ring (I replaced it). I just didn't know where and what to put oil in. Thanks
Mr. D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:29 AM #4
grendal50

I put a drop on the striker o-ring, and just a little on the bolt o-rings and smear it around.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:22 AM #5
Sydarm
accountant

Striker and bolt O-rings indeed are to be oiled. Any paintball related or light machine oil is completely fine. A fine example that can be acquired at most auto is air tool oil. It is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanless View Post
you'll just want to use a thin gun oil on ... the sealing face of the cup seal.
No! The cup seal should be delrin and it is to be left dry to seal best. The stock bolt on a Spyder Compact 2000 is assuredly metal rather than delrin. Delrin swells with most all oils.
Sydarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM #6
C0lin

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Gold cup oil. Works so well on Spyders (and mechs in general). Decently cheap.

You should apply to o-rings on the bolt and striker, as well as anywhere you see scratches or areas where there's a lot of contact, such as the detent slots on the bolt.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:03 AM #7
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
Proper spyder maintenance goes as follows:

Use ANY paintball and or air tool oil: Gold cup and Tri-flow are examples. For years I stole my friends tippmann free samples and kept refilling my bottle.

Every game day for the most part put a couple drops in ASA bottomline (the part the tank screws into on the gun), put the tank on and dry fire your marker to shoot it through.

More extensive- Field strip your marker, wipe down your striker and bolt put a drop on the orings only and just rub it around. Clean the upper tube before re installing. This is pretty much done if and when you break paint which is probably after every outing.

Special note: The red striker oring when it starts to go bad you have more trouble recocking, just replace it with another red oring (or proper striker oring)

@clanless man whats with this generic answer, you're usually on point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanless View Post
What type of bolt do you have? Doesn't matter really, I can't think of any aftermarket bolts that don't have 1/2/3 orings and almost all older bolts including the aftermarket were aluminum If you have a delrin bolt with no o-rings, it doesn't need any lubrication,The new stuff and the ACS don't have orings and thats about it

use a thin gun oil on the o-rings of the bolt and the sealing face of the cup seal. so just focus on the cup seal.
Please don't, The valve side is to be installed dry. You have a leak, put a tank oring on the valve body and replace the cup seal. Any oil they see is from the regular maintenance of shooting oil through

If you are doing a complete break down, you'll want to also oil the o-rings on the valveI've always stood by dry valve install as the best course of action. Old dry orings can be limped along but new stuff is the way to go if your not out at the field. If your out at the field you can try oil, but grease will probably help it swell for now. As mentioned a CO2 tank oring will work great which every field has.

That covers basic lubrication. If you install an inline regulator like a CP or Hyper 2/3, then you'll want to look at getting a good lubricating grease based on Dow 33. But most Spyders don't need anything more than gun oil. Dow 33 is overkill in most cases.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:53 AM #8
Clanless

has been a member for 10 years
It probably is a result of my never actually owning an actual Spyder until recently (2 VS1s). Every STBB that I've ever owned has had a delrin bolt with o rings (even the VS1 stock bolt. As for the cup seal, I started that practice when I had a barrel leak with what appeared to be a good cup seal and good valve o rings. Just seemed to make sense, but OP, I would definitely follow the advise that others on the board have provided, as there are much more knowledgeable people here than I.

Feedback for Clanless
Clanless is offline   Reply With Quote