Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM #1
johnlvswhitney

Cool Sponsorship

Ok so Im sure everyone has thought about it or at least heard of it. Sponsorships help solitify the team as a whole and offer help into the "next level" of the sport we all know and love. If you are one of the teams who has indeed been fortunate enough to get the paintball industry to back your team then this post is for you. I have recently received offers for sponsorships from 3 or 4 different companies. Neither of them are "full rides" so to speak mainly discounted rates on products they sale. Here is the question. If there is anybody that is in the same boat as I, how has it worked for your team? Did it help? What are your thoughts? I just want a little insight in order for me as the team captain to take my team a step further in the world of paintball. Thanks Nation keep it real! -John
johnlvswhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM #2
Sh00t2Thrill

Sh00t2Thrill posts videos on PbNation
Sh00t2Thrill supports Empire
Not sure "full rides" even exist. Any full riders out there?

Many companies offer deals, discounts, dealer accounts, or team package deals. If you can get any of these I'd go for it. Package deals can be iffy because everyone on your team would need to shell out big bucks for a whole new set of gear, which can be tough but maybe worth it.

Not sure if that helps answer your question.
Also I should add that in my experience the very best thing to get is a tournament paint sponsorship.
Sh00t2Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM #3
johnlvswhitney

Hey bro I appreciate the comment. I will definately take any advice I can get. that being said I'm probably gonna take a couple of these offers up and take a shot in the dark. sink or swim I know my guys love the game and with or without sponsorship we will always maintain our love for the game. Thanks
johnlvswhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM #4
curt419
Contracted by 419

curt419 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
curt419 supports Team VICIOUS
curt419 supports Pev's Paintball
curt419 plays in the APPA D4 division
sit down with your team, decide what company you would like to go with, full rides are mainly just at the pro and D-1 levels and a few lucky teams. it wont be free but if you can get pants, jersey, pads, masks ect... possibly a gun for costs it will save you alot of money, its worth it
curt419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM #5
Jacobl

Jacobl owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Jacobl has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jacobl has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jacobl has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My team and I are sponsored by Empire (Sponsored like a pro program)
and we had to get at least 5 packages. They gave us a list of packages we could choose from (from basic just clothes to full out package which includes gun and masks with clothes). I really don't know if it was worth the money (we all bought the basic for $135) but we saved $60 and the gear is really nice. I think it is worth going after companies like empire because in the end you would need clothing anyway. Just go for it!
Jacobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM #6
wrx 22b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobl View Post
My team and I are sponsored by Empire (Sponsored like a pro program)
and we had to get at least 5 packages. They gave us a list of packages we could choose from (from basic just clothes to full out package which includes gun and masks with clothes). I really don't know if it was worth the money (we all bought the basic for $135) but we saved $60 and the gear is really nice. I think it is worth going after companies like empire because in the end you would need clothing anyway. Just go for it!
I'm pretty sure that's not a sponsorship. Empire does that program with some of their dealers every year. Pretty much a discounted group buy.
wrx 22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM #7
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
A sponsorship deal isn't so much going to help being your team closer, unless you feel that all of you wearing matching pants and jerseys, masks, shooting the same marker, and such, is bringing you closer. It may actually drive a wedge in your team. You need to talk to your team mates, and show them the offers. Give them an option of a team vote as to what to go with. If you make a decision without consulting the team, you may be breaking up your team. Like, if you got the Empire sponsorship deal that Jacobl mentioned, and you decided that you were going to go with the lowest package deal, that means that everyone on the team has to shell out $135 each, just to be on the team, and not even for playing paintball. Keep in mind what sponsorship is for a company, advertisement. So if you are sponsored by Empire, they want you to wear their gear, represent them positively, and when you win, hype them up a bit. What happens if four out of five of you are wearing your Empire gear, but the last one is wearing a JT jersey? Or they may require that you all wear the newest Empire gear, and someone may not be able to afford it, and buy older, cheaper Empire gear. That can affect you negatively with your team and sponsors. Or what about air tanks, or markers, or hoppers? What if one person does not like a sponsor that offers you guys deal on those? That person may be unhappy enough, it may affect their performance on the field, or even cause them to quit the team.

So talk to your team mates, get their views on the sponsorship deals, and what they are comfortable with.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM #8
Sh00t2Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Truth View Post
Like, if you got the Empire sponsorship deal that Jacobl mentioned, and you decided that you were going to go with the lowest package deal, that means that everyone on the team has to shell out $135 each, just to be on the team, and not even for playing paintball. ..........

So talk to your team mates, get their views on the sponsorship deals, and what they are comfortable with.
Great point. My team has turned down packages for this exact reason. Its just tough to shell out for gear that you might not even like that much. I should also point out that if you are running a college or D4 team then there's usually a bit of wiggle room on the whole "use only our stuff" clause. No one is paying super close attention. On the other hand, if you're sponsored by Empire and you make podium you better make sure you leave your grills and rotor in the pits... just in case.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM #9
wrx 22b

empire's sponsored like a pro and their package deals are two different things, one is an actual sponsorship and the other is a discounted group buy...
wrx 22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM #10
Sh00t2Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx 22b View Post
empire's sponsored like a pro and their package deals are two different things, one is an actual sponsorship and the other is a discounted group buy...
Yeah, to my understanding there's a bit of a "spectrum" of support, arrangements, and stipulations from companies. Either way, it can be a good thing or a curse depending on your teams feelings on the matter.

Also, If you know the right people, are cool guys passionate about paintball, and don't have a "gimme gimme gimme" attitude then you can usually get the hookup in some way without anyone asking you to slap logos on your jerseys.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM #11
SPECTRE Fox
PLAY PUMP!

SPECTRE Fox plays in the PSP
SPECTRE Fox is playing at Living Legends III
SPECTRE Fox supports Sherwood Forest
In my opinion and experience, the best sponsorships to get (aside from the elusive "full ride") are from local fields. Most bigger fields have the connections with many different companies and can give your team access to deals from them without the burden of exclusivity.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM #12
pbbuddy12
I'm more of a 3 wire guy

pbbuddy12 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
pbbuddy12 supports Pev's Paintball
pbbuddy12 is Legendary
Local field sponsorship should be priority 1. Reduced or no practice fees on entry and paint. They usually have a relationship with paint companies and can help with costs at tournys, From there like people have said I would be more tempted to get partial sponsorships vs full. Easier to obtain and easier for the team to afford. The second team I was on was a full dye team. Was nice but at the same time was not cheap getting a full kit or two plus a marker.

Anyone know if Empire still does the promo where if you podium or win with a Axe they pay your paint for the tourny?
pbbuddy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:41 PM #13
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbuddy12 View Post
Anyone know if Empire still does the promo where if you podium or win with a Axe they pay your paint for the tourny?
I was on one team where we were sponsored by Planet Eclipse, and I can't speak for any other team, but when we got 1st place, they gave us three Ego's and/of Geo's, 2nd place got two, and 3rd place got one.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote