Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM #1954
Kinky Wizard

I'm stoked about this, I think the new design is pretty attractive. The new components are great too... a faster A6 chip (coming from an A4 will be a nice improvement), LTE capability, iOS 6 (I know, I could run it on my iPhone 4 too but still), 4" screen. Great timing too, I'm eligible to upgrade as of 10/6 which incidentally is when VZW is supposed to roll out LTE in my town. Good stuff.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: drewzkie
AIM: k1nk33w1zz3rd
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 PM #1955
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogsforprez View Post
Pretty much summed up android for the last couple of years but now that it's apple it's horrible?
Brand new iPhone today and you're posting about Android.

Come on.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM #1956
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post

Brand new iPhone today and you're posting about Android.

Come on.
Troll fail, sorry.

Lrntoreadandcomprehend.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 PM #1957
Alex Burrows
The 1% In Training

pretty meh.. i will probably burn my upgrade on it but i expected some cooler iphone specific features, they didnt even match the feature list of the S3
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 PM #1958
Alex Burrows
The 1% In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg View Post
Contracts suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberThug View Post
Contracts make me sad so I like to avoid them.

Correct. Thanks again.
lol.. what exactly is the downside of a contract? do you guys move often or somthing?

getting a 5 that is worth a miniumum of $650 for $200, so for that sake lets say your $450 up over buying it outright, keep the 5 for 1-2 years, break it, lose it, etc. guess what? you have that $450 you saved to buy another phone within that same term if needed, and for probably less than the money you saved via upgrade

i love people who say "i hate contract" yea.. because your not gonna have a phone in a couple years right? i've had the same number for 12 years.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM #1959
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burrows View Post
pretty meh.. i will probably burn my upgrade on it but i expected some cooler iphone specific features, they didnt even match the feature list of the S3
Same.

Quote:
lol.. what exactly is the downside of a contract? do you guys move often or somthing?

getting a 5 that is worth a miniumum of $650 for $200, so for that sake lets say your $450 up over buying it outright, keep the 5 for 1-2 years, break it, lose it, etc. guess what? you have that $450 you saved to buy another phone within that same term if needed, and for probably less than the money you saved via upgrade

i love people who say "i hate contract" yea.. because your not gonna have a phone in a couple years right? i've had the same number for 12 years.
I too have had the same number/carrier for a while (8 years), and will not be changing in the foreseeable future. I don't LIKE contracts, but you're right. Saving 400-500 on a phone (yes, they're marked up too high, but it's what the market says) in exchange for 20 months of no discounted pricing is something I can work with.

Especially considering you can sell the phone at the end of the contract and recoup all of the money you paid for it 90% of the time.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM #1960
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burrows

On vzw you will lose your current data plan (if you have unlimited) an be forced to a shared data plan if you use a subsidized price
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM #1961
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is a Supporting Member
ikilledkenny donated to help Peyton Trent
ikilledkenny has achieved Level 7 in PbNation Pursuit
ikilledkenny is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
ikilledkenny is Legendary
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
so i think my speaker is damaged on my iphone. have a hard time hearing anyone during a call :/
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] 12/16/02 - 4/18/08 (permed)
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM #1962
hedgehogsforprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikilledkenny View Post
so i think my speaker is damaged on my iphone. have a hard time hearing anyone during a call :/
Did it get wet at all?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 PM #1963
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
im thinking i have in the past. i rarely call anyone, so its not a huge deal, just something i noticed last night
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM #1964
hedgehogsforprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikilledkenny View Post
im thinking i have in the past. i rarely call anyone, so its not a huge deal, just something i noticed last night
I've gotten water on mine before and it took a day or so to dry out, more reason the upgrade...
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM #1965
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
it hasnt rained here in a while, so i know its not recent water damage.
i dont think im eligible for upgrade until November....unless i "steal" someone else in my family.....
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM #1966
209chromatic
Jolie

209chromatic owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
that's a good thing, more options for consumers.

Quote:

Diffrence is you don't pay $70 a month, more like $30 with no contract.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM #1967
hedgehogsforprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209chromatic View Post
I'm not following you on that, my contract is up for the last 6 months and my bill hasn't gone down a dollar...
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM #1968
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209chromatic View Post
that's a good thing, more options for consumers.

If you save $40/mo by going with another carrier, you profit $30 over two years by buying outright assuming a $450 subsidy.

Worth it?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 AM #1969
Blake360

So other than a crippled operating system, what does this phone offer that the flagship android phones don't? It's still using an outdated LCD screen where most others already moved on to OLED, so that's one thing. Are there any others?
The funniest part about this is they kept the top and bottom bezel the same size, so is way taller than it should be. My phone has a 4.3" screen yet has the same overall height of the iphone 5 because my phone doesn't have a ridiculously oversized bezel bordering my screen.

Last edited by Blake360 : 09-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM #1970
hedgehogsforprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
So other than a crippled operating system, what does this phone offer that the flagship android phones don't? It's still using an outdated LCD screen where most others already moved on to OLED, so that's one thing. Are there any others?
The funniest part about this is they kept the top and bottom bezel the same size, so is way taller than it should be. My phone has a 4.3" screen yet has the same overall height of the iphone 5 because my phone doesn't have a ridiculously oversized bezel bordering my screen.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Super...isplay_id18088

First link I came to.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 AM #1971
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

Quote:
the retina is still probably the nicest screen and LCD is much less of a power hog than AMOLED. just an FYI. however 1080p AMOLEDs are rumored to be out next spring..but for now, retina is where its at

edit-
Quote:
this was fair when the retina first came out, but new phones (S3 and Nexus have MUCH higher resoultion than the Galaxy S1 and S2 and the rezound is even higher PPI than the retina). the retina is still probably the overall best screen though.

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 09-13-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM #1972
hedgehogsforprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post

the retina is still probably the nicest screen and LCD is much less of a power hog than AMOLED. just an FYI. however 1080p AMOLEDs are rumored to be out next spring..but for now, retina is where its at

edit-

this was fair when the retina first came out, but new phones (S3 and Nexus have MUCH higher resoultion than the Galaxy S1 and S2 and the rezound is even higher PPI than the retina). the retina is still probably the overall best screen though.
First link I came to, I would hope after 2 years someone would be able to make a better screen...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM #1973
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

Quote:
First link I came to, I would hope after 2 years someone would be able to make a better screen...
i know. im just saying
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM #1974
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

Quote:
Screens on mobile devices are getting to a point of diminishing marginal returns. I have 20/10 vision and hugely welcomed the iPad 3's new display, but I seriously don't think the iPhone 4's display can get any better unless it becomes holographic.
Closed Thread