Community Focus

Old 02-17-2012, 12:56 AM #1
Lungorthin
War Cult Supremacy

Annual Supporting Member
Lungorthin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Lungorthin owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Potential Ram problem...?

Ok so my ram assembly knob on my a1 fly was loose and I wanted to switch it out with a fresh one. I took off the backplate and removed that tiny screw that holds the knob onto the ram and i tried to take it off. It wiggled side to side but wouldnt come off if I pulled. Thought it seemed odd so I tried it on my other fly and it comes off with ease. So i grab some needle nose to get a better grip. No progress so I add a little more force. It twists a little far and now doesnt wiggle at all but still wont come off. Now its even harder to work with so decide to give up, now since it isnt as loose as before. I put the screw back in but now whenI turn the knob for the ram assembly to take the bolt out, it doesnt have a smooth turn anymore. Almost like its a gritty sticky turn, but its not dirty or anything.
Did I break something? Whats the deal with it? And why cant I get the knob off? Its really bothering me.
Lungorthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 AM #2
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
The knob obviously shouldn't be that difficult to remove. In the course of trying to pull it off you may have pulled the ram adjustment apparatus against its retaining pin hard enough that it bent the pin and/or the adjuster itself, which would explain the grinding. I can't think of any real reason the knob would be that difficult to remove.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 AM #3
greatwolf329
still sick of idiots

Annual Supporting Member
They are a tighter fit on occasion. I have run into some that slide right off and some I've had to beat on, and force off. It's a different generational thing.
greatwolf329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM #4
Lungorthin
War Cult Supremacy

Annual Supporting Member
I should probably pick up a new ram all together then, hey? I feel like if I try to take off the knob again, I'll just destroy the ram. That thing just WILL NOT come off. I haent shot the gun since I tried this but Im a little hesitant incase something has been damaged.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM #5
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

If you're going to replace it anyway, you might as well take another crack at getting the knob removed. Heat may help.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 PM #6
Lungorthin
War Cult Supremacy

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
If you're going to replace it anyway, you might as well take another crack at getting the knob removed. Heat may help.
I added a tiny bit of grease to the knob in hopes it will turn smoothly again. I let it set for a while and it seems to be turning a little better but I'm still hesitent to test the gun. Just don't want to make a potential problem worse.
Also I dont have a spare ram so I gotta order it, might as well use the other knob an put it on the new ram instead of removing the (ex-)loose one. Unless you think it would benefit me somehow? Suggetions?

Last edited by Lungorthin : 02-17-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM #7
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

The worst that could happen test firing the gun is that the ram won't stay forward, which would cause the rotobreech to fly open. With that in mind, you could put your hand there to keep it from flying open and smacking into the body while you test fire it.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 PM #8
BillyBob79

Like greatwolf said, sometimes the knobs slide on/off very easily and sometimes you have to beat the hell out of them to get them off. It's possible that with the screw being loose it marred up the indention on the piece that sticks out the back of the ram. Since you have a new knob I suggest getting a pair of Vise Grip pliers (locking pliers) and pulling the old knob off once you've loosend the screw. Use a slight twisting motion while pulling the knob off. Once you have the knob off check for marring on the ram piece. If it looks chewed up at all use a small, fine file (or ultra fine grit sandpaper) and get it smoothed back out. Once you've done that I suggest using some ultra fine sandpaper, get it in a cylindrical shape, and sand out the inside of the new knob just a bit. That will help ensure the new knob goes on the ram easily. When you go to put the grub screw back into the knob make sure you use a very small dab of blue Loctite on the threads and make sure you have the hole lined up properly with the indention on the ram piece.

I know that sounds like a long process but it's pretty quick and simple. I've had to do it to my A1 and a few that belong to teammates.
BillyBob79 is offline   Reply With Quote