PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM #1
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
school, work, or both?

So looking for a bit of advice here. I have 3 choices.

1: I can go to school full time and draw on unemployment through the CAT(commissioner approved training) and get my associate in arts and science degree. Which would allow me to transfer to a university and get my engineering degree. Problem with this is that money around our house would be tight. My girlfriend and I would be relying on her income to pay the bills. Though low because we live frugally leaves me feeling like a leach.

2: I have 2 job offers available to me. One for a job making 12.32 an hour with 80 hour work weeks, the other as a real estate agent in a town experiencing a small boom in the market. I could make a good deal of money doing either or both, but I'm 21 and I've been putting off going to school for the last 4 years.

3: I could do full time school and real estate agent. It wouldn't make me feel like as much of a leech but the income would be unreliable at best. Could be awesome one moment and fail the next.

I can't do both the hourly job and school because it's a physical job that for the next few months would occupy 1/2 of my time. Seeing as my girlfriend works 2 jobs that would mean we would hardly ever see each other let alone time to study and classes with mandatory attendance.

Thank you in advance.

cy
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM #2
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
80 hours a week at that salary? **** that. Sounds like a miserable life-sucking shell of a career. Stay away. Unless it is very temporary to make sure you don't get in deep **** with loans.

I like the option of school + real estate, but only if what you say is accurate. Real estate makes good money when the market cooperates. If your local market is actually doing well, then this would give you a perfect part time job with flexible hours to work around classes as you see fit.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM #3
M98custom1212

In this case I would say real estate or no job.

Other opinion would be to find some junk part time job just so you and your lady friend have another income

OLD FEEDBACK

No Custom Milling Without A Deposit
CAD/CAM Engineer
M98custom1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM #4
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
School plus a job. It will be tougher though.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM #5
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
axe the choice where you don't go to school. if you go that route, you will be making that 12 bucks an hour for the rest of your life
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 AM #6
memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is playing at Living Legends V
memorex owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
memorex supports Team VICIOUS
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
go to school and try to get a job. Any extra income during college is a plus. Maybe just look for part time at the moment? I got a job where I only worked 15-20 hours in a week during the semesters. And then when there wasn't school I was able to get in 30-40. Was a lawn care business, really fairly easy.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM #7
SoAgg159

SoAgg159 helped look for balloons
Yea, idk how smart you already are, but physics alone is ****ing hard. I'd recommend starting your schedule, then see how you feel about working. See if you can get that 80hr job in the summer, use that money to coast throughout the year.

Prepare for **** sandwiches for the next 4-5 years depending how hard they **** you from transferring from a community college to university. Not all credits transfer over.

Patience.-"No! Don't delete the thread! I actually contributed and made a difference in this forum for once! haha"
SoAgg159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM #8
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAgg159 View Post
Yea, idk how smart you already are, but physics alone is ****ing hard. I'd recommend starting your schedule, then see how you feel about working. See if you can get that 80hr job in the summer, use that money to coast throughout the year.

Prepare for **** sandwiches for the next 4-5 years depending how hard they **** you from transferring from a community college to university. Not all credits transfer over.
Well I'm going to be working really closely with WSU to make sure any credits I get will transfer.
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM #9
rkhig
Virginia Tech

Annual Supporting Member
rkhig owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
rkhig is an NCPA player
rkhig plays in the APPA D4 division
rkhig supports DLX Technology
school. simple
rkhig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM #10
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Blue_Cobra is playing at Living Legends VII
Blue_Cobra supports Team VICIOUS
Blue_Cobra posts videos on PbNation
Blue_Cobra supports Pev's Paintball
Blue_Cobra plays in the APPA D4 division
If you could do a job and school that would be best but it would be difficult. Taking light credit loads would be ideal but you would be going to school longer.

These are difficult and big decisions. I hope you can figure it out. As the man of the house it is instinctive for him to be the one providing for the family and can be discouraging. I would look ahead and see which one would be best, to have a job now or to wait and go to school and get a better job. If you could do both, that would be nice but you would have a large work load.
I'll be praying for you bro. Good luck and God Bless!

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
LEGO PAINTBALL WHAT DO YOU THINK???
Need to sell gear? Go to U.S.A. B/S/T! It's easy & it's Facebook!
Blue_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:10 PM #11
Watermelondrea
Ridin' in that 'Gatti

If you don't go to school you'll be making $12/hour for the rest of your life.
Watermelondrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 PM #12
drew`
jeajea

Annual Supporting Member
drew` supports Team VICIOUS
drew` supports Pev's Paintball
drew` supports DLX Technology
lol@"if you don't go to school you'll be making $12/hour for the rest of your life"

But working 80 hour weeks at $12/hour is ridiculous. I'd work with all the mexicants in construction before I did that. They're working on my building at work right now and they're making $19/hour @ 8-5/5:30 Mon-Fri.

And don't listen to these kids that have never had a job saying the above statement. There are a variety of jobs with a lot better earning potential than $12/hour that don't require a degree, or any college for that matter. Also, personally, I wouldn't be asking an internet forum to decide my life's path. Decide which one will work best for you now, and in the future.

Going to college has its ups and downs, as does working without a degree. I've done both and I've made a decision based on where MY life is at. You're better off talking this over with friend(s) or your girlfriend.