Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 PM #1
Veritable

Not Your Regular "Which Barrel Should I Get For My Phenom" Question

Hi everyone, first time poster, excited to be here, so I guess a picture is in order:

As you can see, I'm pretty firmly in the "I should really be playing airsoft" camp. Due to that, though, and kinda strangely enough, it causes some problems with deciding what barrel I should run.

The picture above is my "2011" A5. I run it with Deadlywind Fibur with A5 thread + Freak Boremaster. Love the setup.

A couple of years ago, I picked up an X7 Phenom hoping to "upgrade." It is fairly common knowledge that the Fibur with A5 thread HATES the Phenom, though. So, picked up a Fibur-X at the same time. No problems, right?

WRONG! As you can well imagine, trying to work with 2-piece barrels + inserts all the while with handguard / shroud limiting access, was utter nightmare:
  1. Inserts falling into the shroud while I was trying to install them, because the "front" (understandably) doesn't hold the insert in place...
  2. ...take advantage of the "lefty-righty" threads that the Fibur-X uses, and take the "back" off every time I want to change inserts?
  3. Unfortunately, the "back" should be TIGHT into the barrel adapter... and DUE to the "lefty-righty" threads it is impossible to tighten neither "front" nor "back" properly with the shroud in place...
  4. ...so, take off the shroud every time I want to change inserts? Ugh, that's terrible.
Thus, despite having a Phenom, I end up using the A5 every time I want to... you know, play paintball. This year I want to do something about it.

The Fibur, being 1-piece and thus swallows the insert, works perfectly with floating shrouds. As above, though, the Fibur is no-go with Phenoms. So, I'm thinking of doing either of the following:

Buy the Lapco AC barrel adapter for A5 (which replaces the Tippmann barrel adapter), then pair it with a AC-thread Fibur.
  • Pro: Works with no chopping, apparently? Also better efficiency, somehow?
  • Con: The only write-up I remember about this combination was that barrel test by Lord Odin, but I saw it on A5OG which is now dead. Does it solve the chopping problem? I'm not sure.
Buy the actual Freak "back" for A5, and then change the marker shroud to a shorter one like the Tippmann Assault Foregrip.
  • Pro: I BELIEVE that the Freak back is longer than the Foregrip, so the "front" thread will actually be exposed. I will likely pair the Freak "back" with the DW Whip Tip, so I can keep using the Apex2.
  • Con: IS the Freak "back," being 6in I think? actually longer than the Tippmann foregrip? So I can screw / unscrew the Whip Tip outside the shroud? Also, does it solves the chopping problem as well?
I guess I'm mostly looking for Phenom owners who either use the Lapco AC barrel adapter with the DW Fibur, or the Freak "back." Your feedbacks on their performance and reliability will be invaluable. Other thoughts are welcome, too!
Veritable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 PM #2
sandman13605

sandman13605 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sandman13605 supports Ninja Paintball
doesn't deadlywinds make an insert for their freak bored barrels that helps with the phenom? If i remember correctly it was more for bolt stick though. I would say stop using a two piece barrel if possible and just run the fibur with the insert for the phenom.

You say the fibur is a no-go with phenoms? why is that i have a buddy who uses a freak bored deadlywind (fibur?) just fine in his phenom.
sandman13605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:32 AM #3
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
paintzapper supports Ninja Paintball
I personally use the freak back on my Phenom and have found no issues while using the UMP body kit and regular gameplay. The freak back sticks out of the shroud about an inch and I can unscrew it if needed.

Just keep in mind you want to purchase the revised version (after 06?) of the A5 threaded back. This version is longer, only allows inserts to be installed from the front, does not allow the insert to go all the way back into the bore, and has a wider bore on the breach side to allow the bolt to move freely without sticking or coming in contact with the insert.

I am going to go on a limb and say not to get the Empire superfreak version as I do not think it has the updates and I have heard bad things with the A5 and Phenom. The SP/GoG variations should be what you need. It's too bad because the superfreak comes with the APEX tip.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:36 PM #4
Veritable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman13605 View Post
doesn't deadlywinds make an insert for their freak bored barrels that helps with the phenom? If i remember correctly it was more for bolt stick though.
Yes, the bolt stick causes chops pretty much guaranteed. Before buying my own Phenom I recommended my brother-in-law to get one, then I tried my A5 Fibur on his marker, with expected results.

I did get the insert but since you have to put it on top of the Freak insert, you have to remove it so often that you're liable to lose it. Mine is lost, and besides which I thought the Fibur-X was the answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
I personally use the freak back on my Phenom and have found no issues while using the UMP body kit and regular gameplay. The freak back sticks out of the shroud about an inch and I can unscrew it if needed.
Thanks for this feedback! This is perfect. Yes the Freak back I can buy have the inserts going in from the front. It means running with a shorter shroud, but it will save me a lot of headaches if I can access the "front" outside the shroud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
It's too bad because the superfreak comes with the APEX tip.
I actually use the Deadlywind Fusion Apex2 adapter on the Fibur A5, and it is clamp-on. So, as long as I use the DW Whip Tip as the "front," I can transfer the Apex2 no problems.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM #5
Veritable

Decided to go with the Lapco AC (barrel) -> A5 Barrel Adapter + 12in Deadlywind Fibur for AC on clearance. Rebuilt the Phenom too, and now shoots perfect

Tippmann X7 Phenom, with:
- Deadlywind Fibur 12in AC thread
- Apex2 + DW Fusion adapter
- Lapco AC to A5 barrel adapter
- Tactical-Mod 416 Extended Foregrip (slightly cut down)
- UTG Ambidextrous Vertical Foregrip
- Tippmann X7 Phenom M16 Curved Magazine
- Q-Loader with Marlowe kit
- UTG Medium Profile Riser
- EOTech 517 holographic sight
- EOTech G33.STS magnifier
- Killhouse Weapon Systems X7 Phenom Gas Through ASA
- Killhouse Metal Gas Through Stock Insert
- ACS Stock
Old 05-30-2016, 08:11 AM #6
DramaLifeNy

DramaLifeNy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DramaLifeNy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DramaLifeNy supports Ninja Paintball
I have a LAPCO BIG ASSAULT Barrel on mine. Not sure bout A-5 tho. I generally run mine kinda mixed i have the M16 curved Mag with M16 collaspe stock. the assault shroud (kinda like a AR shroud) with the 4 rails. the G36 carry handle with the built in iron sight and a red dot on top and just a regular folding grip and sling I found on amazon.
Looks like a CQC and Mid-Range gunplay hybrid lol.
Set up works great I only took it out a few times so far only big thing im questioning is if i should get the magfed conversion kit.
Barrel wise I have no complaints bout the LAPCO big assault
DramaLifeNy is offline   Reply With Quote