PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM #1
irishcman

irishcman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FX Chopping paint all day

So I just got home from my field today and all my fx did was chop paint all day. I am using a pinokio hopper and just installed the newest version of the Techt bolt with an NDZ ram. I also installed the offset detents from DP. So my question is how are you supposed to install the detents. currently i have both detents sticking through rotated so they are as far from the breach as possible. Should one be towards the breach and one be away from the breach? I am thinking maybe they are too far from the breach so a ball is too far forward allowing another to slide down and chop.

Thoughts? Please help. Thanks.
irishcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM #2
samwf
(Insert witty quote here)

samwf is an NCPA player
samwf has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
samwf has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
samwf has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
samwf has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcman
So I just got home from my field today and all my fx did was chop paint all day. I am using a pinokio hopper and just installed the newest version of the Techt bolt with an NDZ ram. I also installed the offset detents from DP. So my question is how are you supposed to install the detents. currently i have both detents sticking through rotated so they are as far from the breach as possible. Should one be towards the breach and one be away from the breach? I am thinking maybe they are too far from the breach so a ball is too far forward allowing another to slide down and chop.

They're called offset detents.... So yes they should be offset, one forward and one back, ur paint is rolling too far forward which is allowing the bolt to chop

Like us on facebook!
samwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM #3
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
Do you still have the detents you got when you bought the TechT bolt?

I don't believe any of us here have used the new offset detents, so I have no idea how to help on that. If you were using the detents you got with your TechT bolt, I could help you a bit.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:52 PM #4
irishcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwf View Post
They're called offset detents.... So yes they should be offset, one forward and one back, ur paint is rolling too far forward which is allowing the bolt to chop
I do think this is what is happening... but they are probably called offset detents because the spike part of the detent is actually offset to one of the sides and not centered. So would it matter which detent is turned toward the breach? Right or left detent?

Tvveak... yes I do have the other detents but would rather not have to deal with trimming them. Just wanted to get some feedback from someone using the offset detents without problems.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM #5
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Vein Throbber View Post
WTF are you saying, they are offset because the detent nub is more toward the side as opposed to being in the center. Giving the ability to rotate the nub around to compensate for rollback. I ended up having to have both nubs toward the back because paint here is lucky to be .685 at it's biggest.

But to the OP, question is, did it break paint before the new parts were installed? Did you try different weight setups on the ram? Was the ram binding at all? Were your eyes on? Were your eyes working? What were your settings too low an eye delay and it will chop? Try to reset the board to default? Did you try a new battery?

Your set up,minus the ram, is the exact as mine. Remember the pinokio does NOT put tension on the ballstack and I had to back off or increase my eye delay to 6 I believe.

Clean the gun, add new battery, reset board but increase eye delay, and make sure the eyes are working and then try. Also make sure your loader is working properly. If it still chops then put the stock parts back in the gun and see what happens.. Also could have been a bad batch of paint or too brittle of paint. My FX doesn't like anything more brittle than premium or valken crusade.
The NDZ ram is not adjustable. I had absolutely no problems with the ram myself when I used it.

His upgrade setup was the same as mine minus the detents. Only thing I look at is the detents. Try what Blu said and give us an update

If you still have problems, I think you'll want to attempt at cutting those other detents.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM #6
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
Quote:
My bad it's the techt ram that's adjustable right....?
Correct.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM #7
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
I don't have a lot of knowledge xD I just got to know my FX more than anything and bought every upgrade lol
Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM #8
irishcman

Cool

Quote:
WTF are you saying, they are offset because the detent nub is more toward the side as opposed to being in the center. Giving the ability to rotate the nub around to compensate for rollback. I ended up having to have both nubs toward the back because paint here is lucky to be .685 at it's biggest.

But to the OP, question is, did it break paint before the new parts were installed? Did you try different weight setups on the ram? Was the ram binding at all? Were your eyes on? Were your eyes working? What were your settings too low an eye delay and it will chop? Try to reset the board to default? Did you try a new battery?

Your set up,minus the ram, is the exact as mine. Remember the pinokio does NOT put tension on the ballstack and I had to back off or increase my eye delay to 6 I believe.

Clean the gun, add new battery, reset board but increase eye delay, and make sure the eyes are working and then try. Also make sure your loader is working properly. If it still chops then put the stock parts back in the gun and see what happens.. Also could have been a bad batch of paint or too brittle of paint. My FX doesn't like anything more brittle than premium or valken crusade.
I did put new batteries in my loader thinking maybe that was the problem. all the settings on the gun are stock so I haven't made any adjustments there. My eyes were on... but I am not sure how to test to make sure they were working. Is the how to change your eye settings in the manual?

The other option was the paint was valken field paint and it was 38F outside today so I am sure it was brittle. But that is pretty sad if rentals can use the same paint and be fine and my fx can't handle it. I was 1 balling not ramping or shooting fast.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM #9
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
He meant change the 9 volt in your marker. The silver button on your gun turns the eyes on or off. You can tell if they are on or off by looking at the board, to text if the eyes work you can stick your finger in the breach of the gun and pull the trigger. If the noid clicks, it works.

Your FX is capable of handling that. It's the detents that are causing the breaks, I can about guarantee that.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:37 PM #10
irishcman

Quote:
Wow your are kinda lost...On the back of the gun where the on/off button is...the other button on top turns the eyes on and off. Then check to see if the eye symbol on the OLED board is lite. If so then eyes are on, if not then eyes are off. If on and nothing is in the breech, then it should not fire but if the eyes are dirty from chooped paint and such it will still fire even with nothing in the breech.

Also 38 is kinda cold what what type of valken paint, or what grade. Post the name of the paint and it sounds like you need to read the manual too. Check to eyes real quick to see if they are working, hopefully it's a simple quick fix!
I know where the button is for the eyes and how to turn them off and on.. Just tested and yes eyes work. In the manual I am just trying to figure out which setting you changed "I had to back off or increase my eye delay to 6 I believe.". There is Breech load delay and bolt return delay. Not sure which of those 2 you changed. Also this is my first marker so learning as I go here.

The paint was Valken Infinity field grade paint. http://www.valken.com/paintball/valk...paintballs.php
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM #11
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
I never played with that setting so I cannot tell you where that is. Haha
Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM #12
irishcman

Quote:
Breech delay is eye delay, same premis, delays the time of firing once a ball is detcted in the breech. I would still clean and lube the gun, espeically the eyes again and let the paint sit inside for a day then try shooting it again after it warms up. Definitely could be the culprit!

Infinity is a thick shelled paint! Were you keeping stored inside the car while playing or outside in the elements?
Ok so I just cleaned the entire thing.. eyes/detents/breach/ bolt and replaced gun battery. Took balls that have been inside all day out with my nokio. Was single firing them and was having no problems. Started walking the trigger and just had a break. When I brought it in the bolt was stuck forward and paint had been chopped all in the breach.

Note on the detents... before this firing test I rotated one of the detents in closer to the breach and left the other rotated out away from the breach.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 PM #13
irishcman

Gonna have to finish this tomorrow. Thanks for all the fast replies and help.

Gonna be really pissed if old bolt works and new bolt just chops.

I can't really tell you how the NDZ ram is behaving as I installed it and the bolt at the same time so I don't know which upgrade is providing which result. But as for how the gun shot (before it started chopping with upgrades)... almost unnoticeable "kick" when the gun shoots and the ram was much lighter. the gun was also noticeably more quiet.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM #14
Rastven

Try the ram with the stock bolt, and the stock ram with the Techt bolt.
I suspect the issue will be with the NDZ ram and not the Techt bolt.
Rastven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM #15
irishcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastven View Post
Try the ram with the stock bolt, and the stock ram with the Techt bolt.
I suspect the issue will be with the NDZ ram and not the Techt bolt.
What makes you think it is the ram?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 AM #16
Tvveak
DP User

Tvveak is Legendary
I don't believe it's the ram at all. I ran that thing for case upon case and it never caused one issue. I felt it performed far better than my TechT bolt. May I ask why you believe it was the culprit?

I would test the stock bolt with the ram first. I had major problems with my TechT bolt. After the TechT bolt just quit on life, I bought the NDZ bolt and never had a problem again.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 AM #17
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcman View Post

The whole point off the offset detents is so they can recess into the detent hole when the ball and bolt move forward (so they don't pinch). It sounds like you need to rotate them 180 degrees so they are closest to the bolt.

Also, you might want to replace the front oring on the bolt with a 014...it helps the bolt cycle better

Last edited by justicexd : 02-12-2012 at 01:42 AM.
justicexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 AM #18
rottensquad07
Peter Griffin = HERO

has been a member for 10 years
You know I think it could be detents. But I am definitely beginning to suspect the electronics of the FX. My FX would "dry fire" sometimes even with no broken paint present. I am starting to wonder if the issue may be that the eyes are becoming slightly misaligned to allow the beam to be broken or the board just is flawed and does not work as it should.

-violet/silver Dangerous Power G3SE-

-purple/black Dangerous Power Fusion LE-

-red/black Dangerous Power Threshold-
rottensquad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM #19
Rastven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvveak View Post
I don't believe it's the ram at all. I ran that thing for case upon case and it never caused one issue. I felt it performed far better than my TechT bolt. May I ask why you believe it was the culprit?

I would test the stock bolt with the ram first. I had major problems with my TechT bolt. After the TechT bolt just quit on life, I bought the NDZ bolt and never had a problem again.
Because I've run All Stars at similar temps with the stock ram, TechT bolt combo, stock settings and I don't chop.
Your mileage may vary but I've found the TechT bolt, especially the new version, to be very reliable.
Rastven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:37 PM #20
irishcman

UPDATE: put everything back together this morning. test fired some shots and walked the trigger and no chops or break. So I go to the field chrono with no problems. First game out I go to play .... chops r us starts over again. Long story short cleaned the gun adjusted the eyes for more of a delay it is at 8 now. Go back out... chops again.

At this point I am tired of trying to figure this out. Who do I need to contact TechT or DP?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM #21
Yeti6669
Shoot 'em in the Face

Yeti6669 donated to help Peyton Trent
Yeti6669 posts videos on PbNation
Yeti6669 supports our troops
Yeti6669 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Yeti6669 is a top reviewer
Yeti6669 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcman
UPDATE: put everything back together this morning. test fired some shots and walked the trigger and no chops or break. So I go to the field chrono with no problems. First game out I go to play .... chops r us starts over again. Long story short cleaned the gun adjusted the eyes for more of a delay it is at 8 now. Go back out... chops again.

At this point I am tired of trying to figure this out. Who do I need to contact TechT or DP?
I'm thinking it's your paint or bad detents. What paint are you shooting and how old is it? Are you using a rotor? Do you still chop when you load balls individually? Have you tried backing your loader off 1/8th to 1/4 inch in the feedneck then shooting?
Yeti6669 is offline   Reply With Quote