Community Focus

Old 11-15-2015, 08:28 PM #1
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Growing out of Video Games?

Throughout my whole childhood and teens, into my late 20s (Im 29 now) Ive been a Gamer. Ive played everything from Oregon Trail to GTA V, to Pokemon Snap (Who remembers that garbage?). I've never grown old of games or gaming in general, but lately it seems that im just not interested.

This past week was a huge week for gaming. We got Black Ops 3 (I put several hundred hours into Black Ops 2), We got Fallout 4, and everyone i know is devouring these games. I bought BO3 the day after launch (i normally go to midnight release, but didnt bother this year) I played about 20 minutes of it then put it down and havent touched it since. I was really hyped for Fallout leading up to release, but now that its out i havent even bothered to buy it yet.

I feel like im just not that interested in games anymore, and i dont know if its just me "Growing up" or if these games are just turn and burn games (blacks ops is for sure). I feel that i just already know what im getting. Even with fallout 4. I know what the game is before i even play it and that makes me uninterested. Maybe some original IPs will get me back into it, maybe not.

Has anyone else gone through stages like this and eventually got back into it? I feel like i put a lot of my life into gaming and to just suddenly be uninterested is kind of a let down.

CONSPIRACY THEORIST EXTRAORDINAIRE
MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2015, 08:38 PM #2
KeyBank

I'm the same way. I'm 24 and don't have the time to play like I use too. I remember staying awake all night long playing halo campaign and now I have school and work. Me and my friends would rent games from Blockbuster and just stay up all night gaming and now they all have wife's and are married. A shift in priorities and responsibilities.

Aka growing up sucks... But the memories are priceless
KeyBank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:29 AM #3
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
I'm the same way. i used to game a lot with friends before we all had jobs and went to college. i spent like 400 bucks on an xbox one and i use it for netflix. i did get halo and black ops though and have been playing those a bit but not a whole lot. i guess when you get older you just have more important things to do
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:35 AM #4
MaDr0X
Unh uh!

has been a member for 10 years
MaDr0X donated to help Peyton Trent
I stopped gaming consistently years ago. I started building cars and doing other things that kept me outside. Now I have a family and the only time I can manage to jump on a game is when the little one is taking a nap... but that only lasts about 25 min. There isnt enough time in a day and life is a goddamn circus.

F2K Swap

Old Feed back | New Feedback
MaDr0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:51 PM #5
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
I'm 28 and I still game all the time. My tastes have definitely changed though. I've realized that I much prefer competition and the dynamic atmosphere of P2P gaming unless the game has a gripping story. I also grow tired of the same old mechanics being used over and over again.

BO3? Same thing as every other CoD. That franchise has been trash for a very long time.

Fallout 4? It's a rinse and repeat open world game with guns. Everything in it has been done before and the story is pretty forgetful from the get go. Everything in that game has been rather forgetful. It greatly lacks the sense of wonderment that the Elder Scroll Series has been able to maintain.

Nowadays, I just play a **** ton of CS:GO due to its competitive nature and I'm really looking forward to Star Citizen. I'll likely be playing the new Tomb Raider once it comes out on PC as well.

It's just been so hard to top experiences had with previous games. I generally detest MMOs, so I tend to throw those out, but developing a game with a level of intensity and uniqueness is just so damned difficult these days.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 PM #6
shakeyjonez
LANDSLIDE!

I got out of gaming for a few years but recently caught the bug again. I've been playing and buying retro games for Sega Genesis and the NES.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured... but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen.
Now add this, many of those who refuse, or are unable to prove they are citizens, will receive free insurance, paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.
shakeyjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:26 PM #7
Superzeus
Domer

Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I was getting over gaming wasting way too many hours playing FIFA and Battlefield but playing The Last of Us Remastered not too long ago reminded me why I love gaming and that it can be more than a pleasant time suck. That was a compelling and fulfilling experience and the best game I have ever played, bar none. I recently stopped gaming altogether because I have a lot going on in my life and I was worried my lack of self control with it would keep me from achieving my goals. I have been a lot more productive lately, but I'm planning on easing back into it when the dust settles. I hope that's soon cause FO4 looks dope.

OG FEEDBACK
Superzeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:15 AM #8
shakeyjonez
LANDSLIDE!

Now that fall is winding down I'll prob play more during the winter. But when the fishing starts heating up again, I'll be on the lake fosho.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured... but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen.
Now add this, many of those who refuse, or are unable to prove they are citizens, will receive free insurance, paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.
shakeyjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:43 AM #9
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I'm 28 and I still game all the time. My tastes have definitely changed though. I've realized that I much prefer competition and the dynamic atmosphere of P2P gaming unless the game has a gripping story. I also grow tired of the same old mechanics being used over and over again.

BO3? Same thing as every other CoD. That franchise has been trash for a very long time.

Fallout 4? It's a rinse and repeat open world game with guns. Everything in it has been done before and the story is pretty forgetful from the get go. Everything in that game has been rather forgetful. It greatly lacks the sense of wonderment that the Elder Scroll Series has been able to maintain.

Nowadays, I just play a **** ton of CS:GO due to its competitive nature and I'm really looking forward to Star Citizen. I'll likely be playing the new Tomb Raider once it comes out on PC as well.

It's just been so hard to top experiences had with previous games. I generally detest MMOs, so I tend to throw those out, but developing a game with a level of intensity and uniqueness is just so damned difficult these days.
Thats exactly how i feel. I havent had a game catch my attention since The Last of Us, and skyrim. If Bethesda makes another Elder Scrolls game im sure ill get it and play it, but i definitely wont put in hundreds of hours like i did with skyrim.

Actually, if they made a TES game with the depth of detail, crafting and building that Fallout 4 has, i might spend tons of time on a game like that. Like you said, TES series has that sense of wonderment that sucks you in.

Part of it is that i have a girlfriends and a family and id much rather spend my time with them. I bet if i got a WiiU id play much more often because there are more family oriented games and "Party games" on that system, but i wouldnt dare call myself a "Gamer" while playing the WiiU lol

CONSPIRACY THEORIST EXTRAORDINAIRE
MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 PM #10
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
The Last of Us has ruined gaming a bit for me. That game was such a gripping, visceral experience that I feel like it will never be beaten until long after I'm dead. Anything Naughty Dog puts out has my utmost attention though. Uncharted was great, but the Last of Us is, by itself, in a whole new realm of storytelling that hasn't been touched thus far.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:14 AM #11
colderthanever
Lives in Pump OT

Annual Supporting Member
colderthanever is Legendary
colderthanever supports DLX Technology
Forza, that is the only reason i still play video games.. well that and NHL.
colderthanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:41 AM #12
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

plays in the NXL
Luigi Speed 05 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 is a top reviewer
I grew up playing games, I'm 45 now and I still remember when Pong
first came out, when there wasn't such thing as video games. I've had
or had friends that had most the consoles that ever existed, Atari was
my first, NES, Genesis and so forth. It wasn't till much later in life that
I "discovererd" paintball, at the time I was heavy into console shooters
like Socom 2 and Rainbow Six. But that was that for gaming, at least
the hardcore way I used to play. First of all the adrenaline and intensity
are similar, but much more heightened when playing paintball. and then
there's the time issue. it's pretty tough to keep a decent life, work and
take care of the family AND regular regimen of paintball practices. Don't
get me wrong, I still play regularly, just played a couple of hour of Star
Wars Battlefront last night, but I can't sink in the time that a game like
Fallout 4 requires to be properly enjoyed. Hopefuly during the holidays
break I'll get a chance to put some more time into GTA, Battlefront and
Dying Light (did you guys try this one? it's AMAZING, one of the best)

$outh Beach Pimp$ sponsored by: Planet Eclipse, SobePaintball, Deadly Wind, Ninja Paintball & The Ford Report

DaLuxeMob
Luigi Speed 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:45 AM #13
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
I'm 25 and considering buying Fallout as a way of saving money. $60 sunk cost to keep me entertained rather than going to restaurants and bars every night? This could be big for my finances.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 PM #14
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

I think most games I've bought in the past few years get no more than 5 hours, then I just don't end up playing them anymore. Its kinda sad.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 AM #15
KeyBank

Games just take away from living life in my opinion. I'd rather snowboard, ski, or do something physical or learn knowledge then sit in front of a screen for hours. GTA V is another story though lol, that game teaches me things I can use in real life.
KeyBank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:49 AM #16
BP0019
Hooligans Paintball

BP0019 plays in the APPA D4 division
BP0019 supports Empire
BP0019 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I'm 31 and gamed pretty regular for years. I've worked nights for years so I have some free time here and there while the wife and kids are sleeping but if one of my friends aren't on (people I work with and physically have a relationship with) I play one or two games of Battlefield or BO3 (I think it's garbage but am trying to like it) and stop. I haven't played a story in those FPS in a long time. To linear and boring. Same ole same ole for me. I really enjoy playing the occasional open world game like GTA or the Batman series. One I'm hoping for a sequel of is Red Dead Redemption. I loved that game and really got caught up in it.
On a side note: Dead Island was a nice step in the right direction I thought with an open world cooperative multiplayer story.
Vypr GSL #658
BP0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 PM #17
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard is playing at Living Legends VIII
digitard has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard is Legendary
I don't think so. I mean, I definitely don't play "hardcore" like I did in the past because I have such little time with the day job, family, GHP3, and the likes... but gaming was a big part of my childhood. I'm 35 now, and we had a Bally Astrocade since i was pretty much born, and then a NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation, Playstation 2, XBOX, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PS4 and now XBOX ONE. Not to mention the years of PC gaming in there. Not to mention the mobile gaming experience now a days. It's always been part of life.

I definitely don't get into it as much as I used to from a skill / competitive standpoint. I just play to enjoy the time I can play, and lately since the industry has been able to finally flesh out compelling stories and experiences... I love the immersion.

I definitely think as you grow older, and life consumes more time, you find your experience changing but i definitely don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Not to mention with kids ranging from in the womb to 9yrs old. I love when I can find a game they love, and I enjoy too (or at least doesn't drive me nuts so I can watch them play).