PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM #1
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
MMOs and other subscription games

You know how pretty much all games are X amount per month reguardless of how much or how often you play? Why don't they charge by the playing hour? That way, you're only paying for the time spent.

It's good for the customer because he doesn't feel obligated to sign on every day because he is paying for it. Instead, you pay just for the time you play.

It's good for the company because it lightens their server load as people don't feel forced to sign on and stay on for long periods of time. As such the ping is much better for the players and the cost of running the servers is lower for the company.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Thoughts?

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 AM #2
darkdragun05

darkdragun05 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
darkdragun05 plays in the APPA beginner division
darkdragun05 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think it is a good idea. There are some games that I like to play but don't always have the time to. I doubt they will do it however. I would think they would loose more then they gain.
Maryland Balla #22

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
darkdragun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:18 AM #3
fallofmantopaint
Certified Gamer

It sounds like a win-win situation to me as well. Reminds me of EVE Online, I had to pay the monthly fee to play the game.
fallofmantopaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM #4
SmrtPrtsIon101
^I hate my name^

SmrtPrtsIon101 helped look for balloons
SmrtPrtsIon101 is playing at Living Legends III
SmrtPrtsIon101 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SmrtPrtsIon101 supports Team VICIOUS
I'm fairly sure in China, you don't purchase World of Warcraft by the month, but rather in bundles of "x" hours.

So companies do work like that and I agree, it is a win-win. I don't play much, but when I did I would pay the same amount to play 3 hours a week than someone that played 3 hours a day did.
SmrtPrtsIon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM #5
ZeroNotHero
Terse? I can be terse.

ZeroNotHero owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ZeroNotHero has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ZeroNotHero supports Empire
It works and it doesn't. People paying monthly means they're getting revenue regardless of how much actual time they are online and occupying server space. Plus most people don't quit games like that cold, their playing time just dwindles until they eventually stop, could be months of them only playing a few hours a month until they cancel their subscription.

Also, paying by the hour either means you have to purchase time up front, which would get annoying and could lead to it's own set of problems. Say you'd bought 2.5 hours to play but the raid you joined runs long. Your party is soooo close to beating the boss and BAM! Time's up, you're booted from the server, no loot, no xp, just wasted whatever amount of time you spent on that raid. They could charge by the hour for actual amount of time played, but for some people that would mean the company losing money because of how little they play and for others they would be getting titanic monthly bills because they aren't keeping track of how much they play.

Monthly subscription fees are the best way to go for everyone. If they company was breaking even or barely making any money, which would happen with hourly, then they have no profit to use to create new content, build new servers, etc.

Last edited by ZeroNotHero : 07-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.
ZeroNotHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM #6
darkdragun05

darkdragun05 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
darkdragun05 plays in the APPA beginner division
darkdragun05 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroNotHero View Post
Also, paying by the hour either means you have to purchase time up front, which would get annoying and could lead to it's own set of problems. Say you'd bought 2.5 hours to play but the raid you joined runs long. Your party is soooo close to beating the boss and BAM! Time's up, you're booted from the server, no loot, no xp, just wasted whatever amount of time you spent on that raid.
You are right up front won't work. If they did do that they would have to have a counter counting how many hours played and then charge your credit monthly for it.
Maryland Balla #22

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
darkdragun05 is offline   Reply With Quote