PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM #1
wavesport001

Question Christians: Why is God good?

A few questions for Christians about the God of the Bible:

1. What does it mean for a person to be a "good person"?

2. What does it mean for God to be "good"

3. What moral standard does God follow?

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM #2
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

teamsilentassassins is BST Trusted
teamsilentassassins plays in the PSP
teamsilentassassins supports Team VICIOUS
teamsilentassassins plays in the APPA D3 division
teamsilentassassins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
This is a basic philosophical question that you'll receive various answers for because the definition of "good" is subjective since we do not know objectively. Try again.

ATO@WKU Colony

By the way, when you see a vagina, your whole world will change. --Thunderstick

wow. your argument has more holes than the failed condom that resulted in your birth. --MaLfUnCtIoN3
teamsilentassassins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM #3
Iamamartianchurch

God is a big fat meany pants therefore he cannot exist and I don't wanna worship him anyway *stomps feet like girl and runs off*
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 PM #4
wavesport001

Quote:
This is a basic philosophical question that you'll receive various answers for because the definition of "good" is subjective since we do not know objectively. Try again.
So you're saying you don't know what it means when you say "God is good"?

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 AM #5
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
I saw this and thought of you whilst imbibin' and dancin' in all sorts of unsavory manner this evenin', I hope y'all enjoy.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 AM #6
wavesport001

Awesome sign Umami. When a sign says "God is good, all the time", what does that mean?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 PM #7
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
God is a big fat meany pants therefore he cannot exist and I don't wanna worship him anyway *stomps feet like girl and runs off*
That's a strawman if I've ever seen one. I don't not believe in God because I think he's mean, I don't believe in God because I've never seen how he's anything more than a figment of mankind's imagination. I don't ignore reality because it is indifferent to my existence

I do think religious zealots tend to be bigoted *****, though.

Quote:
There will be good people and bad people, with or without religion; that is a fact of humanity. But without humanity, we largely tip the scales in the favour of the bad. After all, it is much easier to hate a person when you refuse to see them as just that, a fellow person. History proves time and time again that the simplest, most potent forms of hate come from viewing other human beings as inferior, sub-human creatures. It worked with Nazis and the Jews, Israelis and the Palestinians, and certainly much closer to home, it is working with the Christians and the Muslims.
A lot of Christians will tell you they love their fellow man, and simultaneously look down on those who do not conform to their standards of belief and morality. It's actually amazing to watch.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:28 PM #8
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
That's a strawman if I've ever seen one. I don't not believe in God because I think he's mean, I don't believe in God because I've never seen how he's anything more than a figment of mankind's imagination. I don't ignore reality because it is indifferent to my existence

You need to learn to lighten up. Seriously. Secondly, you know there are people like that.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM #9
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
You need to learn to lighten up. Seriously. Secondly, you know there are people like that.
I've yet to meet one person who honestly makes their decisions by saying that. The only time I ever hear such things is when it is being addressed as a joke, like you just portrayed.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM #10
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I've yet to meet one person who honestly makes their decisions by saying that. The only time I ever hear such things is when it is being addressed as a joke, like you just portrayed.
I love the how the ones that like to swing at the lowest branches of Christianity are the first to deny the same among their own. To pretend that atheism doesn't have a immature, illogical, and just-to-fit-in side to it is absurd.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 PM #11
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not. Sometimes its hard to tell on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I love the how the ones that like to swing at the lowest branches of Christianity are the first to deny the same among their own. To pretend that atheism doesn't have a immature, illogical, and just-to-fit-in side to it is absurd.
I would argue that by the very simple way the megachurch version of Christianity constructs its worldviews, it attracts a greater number of "low hanging branches". Simple minds crave simple worldviews, and it is by far the most pervasive, accessible, socially acceptable and self-confirming belief systems available in the US today. If you're an idiot among idiots, you will be re-enforced. If you're an idiot among atheists, the social structure and culture doesn't exist to re-enforce it.

You're right, they exist, but I feel their proportion is dwarfed.

It is always refreshing to see martian and teamsilentassasins call the megachurch Christians out on their bull****, though.

Quote:
Stop living in denial, there are idiots that prescribe to every belief system.

My favorite are the "green" people who just gobble **** up if it says "green" or "natural" or "organic" on the packaging.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 PM #12
wavesport001

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not. Sometimes its hard to tell on here
Fundamentalism, in any form, is often indistinguishable from satire.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM #13
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Again. I love the context of your post. I haven't met any. That's the truth. It just so happens that atheists are few and far between in this country. Does that mean they don't exist? Did I state that? Have I ever stated the same thing martian said, but in reverse roles (as in, towards Christians)?

Get your head out of your ***.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 PM #14
PurpleDirt
Repurchased Thine Soul

To OP, religion (in my eyes) was sensible way back when it started.

There was no real societal "norm" as far as anything other than respecting your elders and monarch/government was concerned. People needed something to relate to on a lower, more personal level.

It became a religion when people started "believing" it instead of just "following" it.

Just how christianity is a religion, so it paintball. Some people like paintball, some people use it to keep social and stay mentally/physically healthy, and some people are straight up bat**** over it.

I'm sure that's how different sects were created, over different levels of bat****ness over it.

Now, how this relates to the OP's topic is this (IMHO):

God is the explanation for the source of everything that cannot be proven scientifically by someone who doesn't believe it luck or has the "ability" to determine probable cause.

The "Moral" of god is based on the likelihood of a good event occurring. If karma doesn't strike your fancy and you don't take into account how the people of an area behave depending on local diet, topography, climate, etc.

So the moral of god and how good he is differs with every biome. Of course god must be incredibly gracious to sea creatures by reefs and in the Amazon or else he wouldn't let them proliferate to the extent that they have, right?

To me, a good person is one who will do something for someone else without considering how could it directly or indirectly benefit them. They will do something not because they want to or it will for sure make them feel happy. They will, as one would say, go out of their way to do it.

Homeless person hit by bus? You're in a rush to the party? You take him to the nearby hospital instead of calling someone to help and just walking off happy that you're going to make it on time to the party.

A solid example is the meme "Good Guy Greg" I think. Most of the ones I see, it's like a "I'm happy, he isn't, I may as well share some of my happiness with him in order for someone else to be happy as well since they deserve the chance to" sort of situation.

I believe a good word to sum up what a good person is, is the word "noble".

May have been a bit of heart-led rambling, but that's a bit of the gist of what I think over all that crap.

There are the good and there are the bad. Some people are naturally bad, some are naturally good. Genetics will obviously tell, but same with the diet/location/behavior of the people around him/her. Even if they have high places in the "megachurch" (Which is really just a cooperative gone corporate. Just look at Disney...) they can still be villainous, or at least not heartfelt with their actions and find a way to gain from every event.

Please PM Yelosno if you would like to begin a conversation with me.
PurpleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 PM #15
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Again. I love the context of your post. I haven't met any. That's the truth. It just so happens that atheists are few and far between in this country. Does that mean they don't exist? Did I state that? Have I ever stated the same thing martian said, but in reverse roles (as in, towards Christians)?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM #16
Paper-Cut (Banned)
mentally unstable

Paper-Cut has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jesus cursed a fig tree because he was hungry and it didn't have any figs on it.

Moses had a man stoned to death because he was seen gathering firewood on the sabbath.
Paper-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 AM #17
Treghc

Wavesport, I hope I can contribute to this discussion in a matter by asking this:

To Christians:

Is something moral because it is commanded by God?

Or does God command it because it is moral?

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM #18
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I was. Unfortunately, I have read that sort of thinking a lot. On this forum as well. Some years back I came across a website devoted to how God was a murderer and unfit for worship. Maybe it was a giant troll. Who knows.

Quote:
I would argue that by the very simple way the megachurch version of Christianity constructs its worldviews, it attracts a greater number of "low hanging branches". Simple minds crave simple worldviews, and it is by far the most pervasive, accessible, socially acceptable and self-confirming belief systems available in the US today. If you're an idiot among idiots, you will be re-enforced. If you're an idiot among atheists, the social structure and culture doesn't exist to re-enforce it.
I don't know. It seems the youth are turning their backs on Christianity. Its only remaining stronghold are adults and elderly.

You're right, they exist, but I feel their proportion is dwarfed.

Quote:
It is always refreshing to see martian and teamsilentassasins call the megachurch Christians out on their bull****, though.
Neurotic people of any belief system are irritating.

Quote:
Stop living in denial, there are idiots that prescribe to every belief system.

Quote:
My favorite are the "green" people who just gobble **** up if it says "green" or "natural" or "organic" on the packaging.
Vegans piss me off. They pretend that mass consumption of animals is murder and genocide and thus we shouldn't eat them. Instead of addressing the real issue of human population size. Go to Africa and shake your smug finger at a lion and call her a murderer. Jackasses!

Quote:

You could have avoided the whole thing by saying, "I haven't met anyone with this opinion, but that doesn't mean they don't exist."

You do have to admit, there is a favorite tactic of morons to point to the Christian God's headcount with some aim in mind.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM #19
wavesport001

Quote:
Vegans piss me off. They pretend that mass consumption of animals is murder and genocide and thus we shouldn't eat them. Instead of addressing the real issue of human population size. Go to Africa and shake your smug finger at a lion and call her a murderer. Jackasses!
It's not about mass murder and genocide, it's about reducing suffering in all it's forms. Also, human population size would be less of a factor if we fed our food to people instead of animals.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM #20
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
It's not about mass murder and genocide, it's about reducing suffering in all it's forms. Also, human population size would be less of a factor if we fed our food to people instead of animals.
All those carnivores are so mean!

I don't know about you, but when I'm grilling steak I don't make an extra for the dog. If the dog gets anything, he gets the scraps or the bone if I don't go boneless.

Just for fun, say we find a painless and instant method of slaughtering. Bye bye suffering argument hurray meat!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM #21
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Any Christians like to enter into the OP's discussion? I'd like to see this thread go somewhere.

Last edited by spracks21 : 02-05-2012 at 11:28 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote