Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 PM #23
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyskidmore3 View Post
Quote:
Break out drills- If you for some reason haven't mastered running and gunning for 20 feet then you have no business being on a team. Practicing this is a waste of time and most importantly paint. What you should focus on is what happens after the breakout: the actual game.

I don't entirely agree with this statement. Break out drills help a team see how the break out plays out, not just say it and hope it works. I've called a break out and thought it would do well in my head, but when we went to practice it, it fell apart. Break out's should be practiced but you DON'T need to practice them A LOT.
Break out drills do one thing extremely well and one thing very poorly. The thing they do extremely well is waste paint, the thing they do very poorly is simulate an actual breakout(unless you had some other guys at the opposite end of the field shooting lanes but doesn't that just come down to luck? Hoping to slip by during the spaces between the paintballs)
If you do insist on breakout drills may I insist on not doing it with paint, there is nothing that is practiced during a breakout drill that can't effectively done dry firing.
If you're worried about laning and running that is an entirely different drill that actually works.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 PM #24
tyskidmore3
Thats not my name

tyskidmore3 plays in the PSP
tyskidmore3 helped look for balloons
tyskidmore3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
tyskidmore3 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Break out drills do one thing extremely well and one thing very poorly. The thing they do extremely well is waste paint, the thing they do very poorly is simulate an actual breakout(unless you had some other guys at the opposite end of the field shooting lanes but doesn't that just come down to luck? Hoping to slip by during the spaces between the paintballs)
If you do insist on breakout drills may I insist on not doing it with paint, there is nothing that is practiced during a breakout drill that can't effectively done dry firing.
If you're worried about laning and running that is an entirely different drill that actually works.
Thats what your practicing when you're doing break out drills. Laning and running. The amount of paint used in a break out drill can be minimized. Once everyone makes their bunkers we call it. We usually pod up every 3-4 break outs. To each team their own. I'm just trying to point out there are benefits to doing them.
Exalt, Virtue Spire,Pbnation
Diamond Hill Paintball Park
tyskidmore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 PM #25
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyskidmore3 View Post
Thats what your practicing when you're doing break out drills. Laning and running. The amount of paint used in a break out drill can be minimized. Once everyone makes their bunkers we call it. We usually pod up every 3-4 break outs. To each team their own. I'm just trying to point out there are benefits to doing them.
The problem with laning and running during a breakout drill is you don't know if you're actually hitting the mark. Which is why I put up the single practice, so you can have one guy practicing and the one or more people focusing on him to tell him what he is doing wrong/right. It will work better than doing it as a team with nobody there to tell you whether you're getting better or reinforcing bad habits.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 AM #26
BrandonMBW
America **** Yeah!

BrandonMBW owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
BrandonMBW is for the Gunfight
BrandonMBW has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BrandonMBW has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
BrandonMBW has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you want information on supplements, get at me. I gotyou.

BrandonMBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 AM #27
tyskidmore3
Thats not my name

Quote:
The problem with laning and running during a breakout drill is you don't know if you're actually hitting the mark. Which is why I put up the single practice, so you can have one guy practicing and the one or more people focusing on him to tell him what he is doing wrong/right. It will work better than doing it as a team with nobody there to tell you whether you're getting better or reinforcing bad habits.
We only do break out drills if another team is on the other side of the field. Also without the other team, having tall box's we get from work can be used as accuracy targets. The single practice is better if you are focusing in on one aspect of it, but break out drills against another team help see what happens when you pull it all together.

All in all, break out drills are only good if there is another team to do them against. If you get bounced/hit you put your hand up so the other team know's what worked and what didn't. You can then take that info and work on a specific aspect of what you need to work on.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM #28
tyskidmore3
Thats not my name

woops, double post.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM #29
laxplayer9352
USMC

Annual Supporting Member
laxplayer9352 is a Supporting Member
laxplayer9352 is a Paintball photographer
laxplayer9352 supports our troops
laxplayer9352 plays in the APPA D3 division
laxplayer9352 is Boss
Quote:
  • Pants: there is no substitute for paintball pants, spend the money and get yourself a nice pair of pants. Make sure to get them a few sizes too big, you want them as baggy as possible if the waste is too big don't fear, that is what they make belts for. A nice pair of pants will effect your game a lot more than you think.
  • Pack: Your pack is another article that makes a lot of difference. A good pack will give you nice back support it and helps you hold what I call "paintball posture" a bit more without tiring out your back. A good pack will not only support your back but it will keep your pods from putting a strain on your back. With a good pack you won't even notice the weight of the 3-4 pods. If you're a smaller guy with a thinner waste, I suggest the NXe pack, you want a pack that squeezes your torso and doesn't bounce around, the NXe is a bit smaller than most packs and it isn't too expensive. Good bang for your buck.
  • Quote:
    It seems a lot of people either want to know or think they know what skills it takes for a team to succeed.
  • Break out drills- If you for some reason haven't mastered running and gunning for 20 feet then you have no business being on a team. Practicing this is a waste of time and most importantly paint. What you should focus on is what happens after the breakout: the actual game.
Quote:
What are some drills that actually help or that you should be practicing?[list][*]Laning off the break- I know I said breakout drills don't work, but this is different. For starters, it only involves a minimum of two people. Have one person shooting and one person at the end of the field standing at the lane he is supposed to be shooting at. Then, you run to a bunker you normally play at seeing if you can shoot the person at the other end of the field. Why is this poor soul at the other end getting shot at? So that he can tell you how tight your lane is. Obviously if you can hit him every time you break out then you're doing good, if you can't you probably need to work on this.
There are a lot of things in here that should be critiqued on, these are decent fundamentals for a person looking to become more accustomed to speedball, but they are not very good tips to improving your skill.

You mentioned that snap shooting and breakouts are not that important. I would say that those two elements are probably the most important aspect of a game. If you're good at snap shooting, you'll be able to control your zone/lane, and not get shot. You'll be able to control/put in your mirrors/people on the other side of the field, and you'll be able to move up the field once you've put them in. You will notice that better players are better at snap shooting/gun battling, this is because it is probably the easiest skill to improve on and arguably the most important skill to actual playing. If you get in a position and can't battle your way out of your bunker to make the kills, then you're just a body contained in your bunker drawing guns.

Breakout drills and Laning are probably the second most important aspect. If you can't survive the first few seconds of a game, then you're already to a disadvantage. However, if you can capitalize on those breakouts, then you have the advantage if you're able to consistently get an elimination off the break.

You mentioned it being the fastest way to burn through paint, I'd disagree. Just running points with no sense of direction is the fastest way to use paint, as yes it gives some experience and it is definitely an essential aspect for practices, but it doesn't really teach anything. If you don't have 10 guys to run a full breakout, run it with 6 or 4 people, focusing on just one side of the field (ie snake or doritos). Have a few different breakouts planned and alternate them, trying to see which ones allow you the highest survival rate as well as which ones you're able to get the most kills from (ie multiple laners, stacking back center, edgers, running and gunning or just runners). All of those positions are critical of a breakout and should be practiced. Have the point last 10-15seconds, just long enough for everyone to make their primary bunkers, and then notify the other side if they were hit, or where they should place their lanes. This works on breakouts as well as laning, especially if you have people rotate through the positions ensuring that everyone is learning how to play multiple roles in case they have to fill a position during a game.

There is a lot more that can be said on the topic, but I feel that you get the gist of it. This may also be a little more advanced than what you were intending, but I believe practicing something more "advanced" is the best way to become a better player.

Also, on your pants segment, DO NOT get overly baggy pants. They make it more difficult to run and will actually slow you down. Make sure to buy a pair that fit you well, most pants nowadays are designed so that you can purchase the size that fit closest to your waist/pant size.

Packs are mostly about personal preference. You mentioned the NXe pack for its stability, but I personally hate the NXe pack because it is so rigid. I prefer the Dye/Proto packs because they mold to your back and feel much more comfortable. I've never had an issue with needing support for carrying paint on my back, and I would change that 3-4 pods to 5-8 pods. Running out of paint is the worst possible way to win games, and shooting more paint/having more paint in the air is proven to win more games (look at the amount of paint pros shoot). I generally run with 6-7 pods and play front/mid doritos.
laxplayer9352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:22 PM #30
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxplayer9352 View Post
stuff by you
Lets start out with your snap shooting tell me, would you let a guy on your team who had no idea how to snap shoot? Plus the expectation that the other player is going to only shoot 1-2 paintballs at you then pop back in is wishful thinking at it's finest. Snap shooting is something you pick up on naturally and practicing it is a waste of time you could be using to work on more advanced skills.
However, you're talking about breakouts, unfortunately there is a bit more to a paintball game than a breakout so practicing different breakouts then leaving the team to make it up as it goes along is a bad way.
When I walk the field I normally work backwards, from where I want to be at the end of the game then work at which steps would best get you there. Making it off the break is nothing more than blind luck and if pro teams can't shoot someone off the break every time what makes you think you are?
As for the pants, I once again find myself making assumptions that the reader is slightly more intelligent than a pile of wet sand and can tell the difference between baggy and wearing a 4 person tent around each leg without me having to explain the difference.
I only said the NXe pack because it is my personal pack and suggesting anything I haven't personally tried is stupid. I had an empire before but I think it was designed to be worn exclusively by people who weigh more than their car because the velcro doesn't even begin until the very end of the strap.

I wrote the article for someone who has at least figured which end of his paintball gun the loud noise comes from but hasn't entirely grasped every little aspect of tourney play.
Of course, I can't cover everything from every point of view, I basically wrote down what I know dumbed down as much as I can while still assuming the reader hasn't shorted out several keyboards with drool to give the player a good stack of cards to use when he starts out and letting him build up his deck with better pokemon on his own.

Obviously, I didn't write this for guys like you on a level you would find relevant because
a. you probably don't come on pbn for advice on what pants you should buy
b. there is nothing I can tell you that you probably don't already know

I'm just trying to give a quick guide that while it isn't perfect should serve the purpose of increasing the general knowledge of the people who look at the tactics/strategy/tips forum for clues on what to do when colorful round objects start flying at their head.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 03-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 PM #31
laxplayer9352
USMC

Annual Supporting Member
laxplayer9352 is a Supporting Member
laxplayer9352 is a Paintball photographer
laxplayer9352 supports our troops
laxplayer9352 plays in the APPA D3 division
laxplayer9352 is Boss
I like your sarcasm and dry humor, I couldn't tell what level of players you were trying to inform from your first post. It's your thread and it's got enough good stuff for people to choose what to work on so to you

Quote:
Making it off the break is nothing more than blind luck and if pro teams can't shoot someone off the break every time what makes you think you are?
This is a very ignorant post though, pros practice breakouts and laning off break to find the lanes with the highest probability of hitting someone off break as well as to increase it by practicing the shots and learning how to shoot them.

Even after a 2day practice, there will still be pro guys grabbing a few pods of paint to work on 1v1 snap shooting. It is a skill that can be constantly improved and is very instrumental. Of course, it should be used with discretion as gun battling increases your risks of getting shot and your style of play shouldn't revolve around it, but it is still very important to know how to come out and gain dominance.
laxplayer9352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM #32
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
I like your sarcasm and dry humor, I couldn't tell what level of players you were trying to inform from your first post. It's your thread and it's got enough good stuff for people to choose what to work on so to you
The problem of course is I wrote it over several weeks, there have been several large edits, so some sections I wrote then a week later I would add to it. I am trying to basically write to people who don't know the info, not trying to critique people who already know what they are doing nor is it a definitive word-of-god guide that if you deviate from you will burn in paintball hell(which I assume is somewhere between shooting crappy paint and playing on fields the refs fail to keep inflated).
Some parts are set in stone, such as the fact that you should drink water and eat well. However, from the start I said that experience is the #1 factor in paintball and no plan you can make is going to be your ticket to victory.
It's actually quite difficult to make a comprehensive guide with no flaws and everything you need to know in one how-to. Though, considering how much the mods are against sticking any thread written after 2004 and that don't consisting of links that no longer work with advice that no longer applies it is doubtful any of my work will actually help people.

Quote:
This is a very ignorant post though, pros practice breakouts and laning off break to find the lanes with the highest probability of hitting someone off break as well as to increase it by practicing the shots and learning how to shoot them.

Even after a 2day practice, there will still be pro guys grabbing a few pods of paint to work on 1v1 snap shooting. It is a skill that can be constantly improved and is very instrumental. Of course, it should be used with discretion as gun battling increases your risks of getting shot and your style of play shouldn't revolve around it, but it is still very important to know how to come out and gain dominance.
Pros also have a budget of 10-20 million cases a year plus one or two millionaires when their paint budget runs out. And as much as the pros practiced it's not like they are getting the entire other team off the break every game. Yeah, they get someone off every so often but I don't think there is a pro who thinks "man, mostly I practice is break outs, if we can't get them off the break we are ****ed."
Laning off the break is to make it difficult for the other team to get to their bunker and hopefully get them out if they get too aggressive, however, if you base your strategy off the breakout then build from there you're not going to do as good as easily than if you worked on your ending and then build back from there.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:37 PM #33
GetInTheVan

GetInTheVan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
/e What's with the debate on supps? They actually awesome. Whey protein is great for when you don't hit your macro's, and PWO's, although I've never used them myself, help people focus and achieve better workouts. Don't be afraid of supplements.

For anyone with access to weights / gym, I'd like to provide a short, basic and very effective workout routine for you guys to do.

I did not create this workout, it is an adapted version of Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength routine. I would recommend you have a solid diet to maximize the gains from your workouts.

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Bent Over Row 3x5
Rear Delt Flys 2x6-8
*Optional Bicep Work, 2x6-8

Workout B:
Front Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Over Head Press 3x5
Dips 2x8

The way this routine works is by alternating each workout. So, for example, you workout Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Monday you do workout A, Wednesday B, Friday A. The next Monday you start with B, then A and so forth. On off days you can rest, or I'd recommend implementing some cardio. I like to do some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and finish with jogging a mile or so at a moderate pace.

This is a strength routine, which some of you may be saying is not needed, but think of it this way. When building a house, whats the first thing that is done? Build the foundation. This routine is going to maximize your strength gains, and make you an overall better athlete as well.

If anyone wants a different type of routine, I would be more then happy to help you find one better to suit your goals. However, I would heavily recommend doing a strength routine first.

Last edited by GetInTheVan : 04-04-2012 at 05:41 PM.
GetInTheVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:34 AM #34
Pickles_21

great tips
Pickles_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 AM #35
memorex2.0
I'm Suppish

memorex2.0 is playing at Living Legends V
memorex2.0 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
memorex2.0 is for the Gunfight
memorex2.0 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
when talking about paintball gear, maybe list some price ranges for each level of the player...

so like some beginner set-ups(friends who woodsball with each other) mid-level players(who play at home and at rec fields) and then advanved where they play at rec fields and tournies
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM #36
StraightBalla

Dont listen to this clown. 90% of what you said is bull****. Snapping is very important. Having an accurate snap will win you games. How do you expect to get in to the snake from an insert bunker? You win your gun fight by snapping, wrapping, then going in. As a snake player, I dont gunfight, but if there is a situation where i have to my first ball has to hit them. Dorito players are always snapping also. Running and gunning/ break out drills are also very important. Running and gunning is the hardest thing to do accurately in paintball. Getting someone off break by doing this will also increase your chances of winning ten fold.

Im not going to write a whole report, but you are totally wrong and no one should take your advice. I get coached by Jrab.

Maryland Ballas Club!!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post33008222
StraightBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 AM #37
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightBalla View Post
Dont listen to this clown. 90% of what you said is bull****. Snapping is very important. Having an accurate snap will win you games. How do you expect to get in to the snake from an insert bunker? You win your gun fight by snapping, wrapping, then going in. As a snake player, I dont gunfight, but if there is a situation where i have to my first ball has to hit them. Dorito players are always snapping also. Running and gunning/ break out drills are also very important. Running and gunning is the hardest thing to do accurately in paintball. Getting someone off break by doing this will also increase your chances of winning ten fold.

Im not going to write a whole report, but you are totally wrong and no one should take your advice. I get coached by Jrab.

Did you actually READ the thread? Because breakouts and snap shooting were a very small part of the thread, and I don't think eating right and staying hydrated is necessarily a bad thing... Also, I stated that breakout drills were ineffective because it doesn't teach you anything. A breakout is an application of a series of skills that you must hone individually. furthermore, I put several running/gunning drills you can do that focus these skills.
A breakout drill is a "drill" in it's true context, it is simply a rehearsal of the individual skills all put together you can run a few times and see how it is working out. A breakout drill(when I say breakout drill I mean the drill where 5 people get on one side of the field and play the first 10 seconds of the game against phantom opponents) is NOT a way to learn running and gunning accurately.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM #38
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Sorry for the revive, but this needs to be stickied anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hemm View Post
Regarding pants i disagree. Too large and they can be uncomfortable to wear or run in. Plus wearing extra large pants to get bounces sounds like a way to not make you a better later. A good player can avoid getting hit instead of hoping hits pants keep him in the game. Just my opinion.
I'd rather be lucky than good any day.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 AM #39
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Put up a how-to for snake, I know how to play dorito side, but if someone could help with back players that would be nice.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 04-27-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM #40
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Lets up this thread, even though the mods are in a perpetual state of "cannot be asked" and refuse to sticky a thread I still think it would help people to read it.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM #41
SkY77
Skynye

SkY77 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
SkY77 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Just read it and i like it, just starting pump thanks!

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
<3

Scammed by Chuninmaster
SkY77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 AM #42
DocDriza

DocDriza is playing at Living Legends VI
DocDriza has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DocDriza has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DocDriza has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DocDriza has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Sorry to rehash some comments about supplements, but they should be considered. Just like everything else in your post is a strong suggestion, I think that supplements are also a strong suggestion. You can go to your local GNC, Vitamin World, or Vitamin Shoppe and explain to the person what you are trying to achieve. They should be able to help you and get you what you need. I'll have to admit that they can get expensive, but hey; paintball can be an expensive sport.

ples exuse ny typos
DocDriza is offline   Reply With Quote