PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 AM #1
Extreme1018
ooohhhhh jenna

has been a member for 10 years
the state of the game

I played for seriously for quite a while years ago. 20 to be exact. I started when semi auto guns were just kinda starting. I had an old Tippman pump. I can't remember what it was called then got what I think was called a tippman autolite. Then moved up to and F2 illustrator and an automag, and rocked that untill buying an evil omen and later an 03 shocker when thy were introduced going away from the old brick and barrel design. However about 8 years ago due to kids and Joni quit playing. At the time (01-04) the sport was gaining popularity and doing well. My question is how much has changed since? Is the sport still healthy and what are the top markers now. Also, will I get laughed off the field when I bust out my old shocker and auto cocker Oracle with worr blade. If I can find some parts I my even break out the omen and a 68 automag.

Last edited by Extreme1018 : 08-06-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Extreme1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 AM #2
going_home
Hebrews 13:8

Annual Supporting Member
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Wink

Bust em out and play with them !

going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 AM #3
thegrayghost

the sport has changed because of the economy and all...there will always be new "blood" as to speak to keep this sport going, whether young or old...I have been playing 18 years now and am 70 years old, so go figure, lol...markers have gotten lighter, but the rate of fire has equaled out...

go out and play with the old markers you have and have fun...all my markers are old, main gat, 02 Viking, so go figure...
thegrayghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM #4
Extreme1018
ooohhhhh jenna

What do you mean when you say rate of fire has evened out. In my day the more paint you could spray the better the gun was perceived to be.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM #5
aclark364

aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
PSP tournament ROF is 12bps in a ramp mode. most fields foe rec play are semi only or they will let you know the modes you can use. back in the early 2000's there was a lot of cheater boards. now ramping has helped that out. old school guns shoot just as well as newer ones do for the most part. when buying new high end guns poeple are looking for efficent guns that are smooth and quite.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 AM #6
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 plays in the APPA D3 division
noclue119 supports Empire
The only difference between electronic guns today and guns of early 2k is improved air efficiency and ease of maintenance.

The only difference between mech guns today and guns of early 2k is ease of maintenance usually at the cost of air efficiency.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:01 PM #7
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme1018 View Post
What do you mean when you say rate of fire has evened out. In my day the more paint you could spray the better the gun was perceived to be.
The leagues that survived are the ones that gave up on capping semi-auto and just implementing "ramping", where as long as you're pulling the trigger some number of times per second the gun shoots at a predetermined ROF.

Gone are the ROF wars, and the terrible shot quality and slow game that came with them.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:24 PM #8
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Get out and play. Rate of Fire has certainly gone down.

I think you'll find that your old skills come back to you quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
The only difference between electronic guns today and guns of early 2k is improved air efficiency and ease of maintenance.
I disagree. Modern paintball guns are lighter, more reliable and easier on paint. However, older electronic guns still work well and if they have ramp settings, then they should still be competitive.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 PM #9
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I disagree. Modern paintball guns are lighter, more reliable and easier on paint. However, older electronic guns still work well and if they have ramp settings, then they should still be competitive.
Ya I forgot the reliable and easier on the paint part. The weight is really relative to your entire setup. But yes a e-bladed cocker, shocker and nerve can compete no problem as long as it has ramping.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 PM #10
Tryfan

Quote:
After you left, the rate of fire wars went out of control and nearly killed paintball. We still aren't even close to having recovered back to the level of 2004, not even CLOSE. When the manufacturers realized they were listening to the wrong people, they stopped trying to increase rates of fire at all costs and the tournaments went to capped ramping, putting most people on a level tournament playing field (everyone firing at the same rates) and reducing (but not eliminating) the damage to recball.
Tryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM #11
Extreme1018
ooohhhhh jenna

Well a lot of that sounds like it's better for the sport. Neither my shocker or Oracle have ramp mode. Both were good for 20-24 bps if you could get paint in them. Amazingly the cocker was faster than the shocker. I guess I need to find boards for bothe that will support ramping. The cocker does have a max bps setting but you have to be on the trigger to get it.

Is the sport still gaining popularity or has it evened out. I must say I still get pissed when I see paintball on tv commercials and shows where they never weer a mask. But no one ever gets shot in the face in Hollywood.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 PM #12
lew
Psychoholic Slag

I stopped playing in 2006 and just started up again this summer. Aside from some new markers I'd never seen before, it was like no time had elapsed between those two points at all. Some minor changes here and there, but largely the same.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM #13
renagabe

renagabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryfan View Post
After you left, the rate of fire wars went out of control and nearly killed paintball. We still aren't even close to having recovered back to the level of 2004, not even CLOSE. When the manufacturers realized they were listening to the wrong people, they stopped trying to increase rates of fire at all costs and the tournaments went to capped ramping, putting most people on a level tournament playing field (everyone firing at the same rates) and reducing (but not eliminating) the damage to recball.
This is how I feel about paintball completely. I quit when the Angel came out, and recently came back because I love the sport too much. The state of the game for me has changed from 1-2 welts per match to 2-5, and I'm losing my temper a lot from it. Bonus balling was easily caught before electricity was brought to paintball, and I'm finding it harder and harder not to scowl at people that have setups that just scream BPS. The only thing keeping me sane is SC Village's beginner's group that does not allow electronic hoppers.

The saying of "don't play paintball if you don't want to get hit." is starting to be relevant for even the most seasoned players.
renagabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 PM #14
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by renagabe View Post
This is how I feel about paintball completely. I quit when the Angel came out, and recently came back because I love the sport too much. The state of the game for me has changed from 1-2 welts per match to 2-5, and I'm losing my temper a lot from it.
Interesting viewpoint and probably fairly accurate.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM #15
Extreme1018
ooohhhhh jenna

I hate guys that bonus ball. Happens a lot. But it's part of the game. I just happen to be opposed to those that contribute to it. I don't think I ever bonus any one with my autolite.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM #16
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Autolite? I remember the Prolite, but it was a semi.

SL68 is the Tippmann pump.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM #17
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
I hate guys that bonus ball. Happens a lot. But it's part of the game. I just happen to be opposed to those that contribute to it. I don't think I ever bonus any one with my autolite.
The problem with today's game is that some people don't get out on the first shot. Specially if they are running you down.

When I play pump I always snap out on 1 shot and confirm the break. If they continue their run, I will step out and shoot them until they stop. Sorry but I had way too many times where i shot the guy once in the mask/body and they still ramp on your back.

I see this more with recball players who think this is COD and newly minted electro players during a run through instead of the more experienced players.

Last edited by noclue119 : 08-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM #18
bigjohn141

bigjohn141 is playing at Living Legends VII
bigjohn141 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigjohn141 posts videos on PbNation
bigjohn141 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I can remember spending a few extra dollars at the field to upgrade rentals from a PMI trracer to a prolite. When the field finally went out of business, from the owners moving away, my brother bought one of each and both still work to this day.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
bigjohn141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:08 PM #19
renagabe

renagabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
The problem with today's game is that some people don't get out on the first shot. Specially if they are running you down.

When I play pump I always snap out on 1 shot and confirm the break. If they continue their run, I will step out and shoot them until they stop. Sorry but I had way too many times where i shot the guy once in the mask/body and they still ramp on your back.

I see this more with recball players who think this is COD and newly minted electro players during a run through instead of the more experienced players.
This is a fine way to play when dealing with that type of problem. I think the biggest problem is people getting both fingers ready and twitchy for any encounter they have. Even getting bunkered by people these days, you can expect them to STILL be walking the trigger.
renagabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 PM #20
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by renagabe View Post
This is a fine way to play when dealing with that type of problem. I think the biggest problem is people getting both fingers ready and twitchy for any encounter they have. Even getting bunkered by people these days, you can expect them to STILL be walking the trigger.
Well that is because of the expectation that someone is going to spin on u.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM #21
G clan
FATHER

G clan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
G clan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
HEy hey hey hey..........you know what really grinds my gears????
The young newbs that call the field "MAPS"
IT'S A FIELD..........NOT CALL OF DUTY.

Proudly Sponsored by:
Cousins Paintball
Famousguy Paintball
G clan is offline   Reply With Quote