Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 AM #212
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang

TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
TherealInsomniac is playing at Living Legends VI
TherealInsomniac has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
TherealInsomniac supports Empire
Damian has made so seriously fun layouts before. Ill wait to see what he comes us with before really making my decision.... But I'm skeptical at best.
PANTS/JERSEYS
Packs
Masks
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 AM #213
straptrams91
PRESIDENT

Annual Supporting Member
straptrams91 plays in the PSP
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends V
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends VI
straptrams91 supports Team VICIOUS
straptrams91 is an NCPA player
straptrams91 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
One thing is for sure.... the centre A will become a much more popular bunker at the first PSP event, than it has been previous seasons, because anyone there will be killing everyone in the snake pretty easy.

Imagine playing last year, with a snake made entirely by beams, and nothing else.... and being able to stand at the centre 50 waiting, while your sideline coach is telling you where the snake guy is
one of the many reasons why this is a terrible idea. Not looking forward to playing with these
straptrams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 AM #214
Splat7

Splat7 plays in the PSP
Splat7 supports Team VICIOUS
Splat7 plays in the APPA D3 division
oh cool... so now I'm going to have to be completely flat to crawl... and the snake corner can completely shut down a front player not only from moving up, but from shooting doritos. NPPL IT IS!

Palm Beach Vipers
University of Miami

2011 CFPS Series Champions D4X
2012 CFPS Series Champions D4X
Splat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 AM #215
erikguti

Annual Supporting Member
erikguti donated to help Peyton Trent
erikguti owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
erikguti supports Team VICIOUS
erikguti is for the Gunfight
erikguti is for the Gunfight
erikguti owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Live Wire 911 View Post
In this photo you are looking at it from the spectator side .....so the flat or "smooth" side is faceing in just like any other snake .......
ok so no more cake in the snake???

i know why they are making this, because they want more paint in the air, now every one will want to wait to get some picks to get the snake!!! every one will roll their guns in their bunkers!!

like last year mod to the field for ``fat`` people, before for practice game i used to shoot 2 pods and a hoper, now i shoot 4 to 5 pods and a hoper per practice game!!! good one PSP!!! you are making me waste more money!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 AM #216
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Well, it's a nice theory.... but in reality, nobody will back off from an angle more than they do today from a cake (less actually), because they will get shot to pieces by any back play in front of them, that's where the lack of height comes into play....

...unless the snake design includes some big bunker at the 50 to block out the entire wire.... which then renders snake backs useless - and will make snake players move straight to that big 50 bunker anyway - or... the snake back is a small bunker like a cake, which in itself will make the field unbalanced

This upgrade kit is a fail from inception
That's not entirely true. Remember that if nobody sees you and nobody hears you, they don't know you're there until a coach or teammate tells them. That's more than enough time for a snake player to come up, take the shot, and slide forward. In any event, I would expect there to be something blocking the view from corner to corner so that snake players have a little more wiggle room to work with. Even a tall cake at the 50 would be enough to keep the corners off their back unless they're allowed to wrap all the way around the inside, which denotes a bigger problem than bunkers.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 AM #217
ThatGuy86

ThatGuy86 is a Supporting Member
ThatGuy86 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy86 supports our troops
ThatGuy86 plays in the APPA D1 division
From the thread about these bunkers in the PSP forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineGames View Post
I actually does. I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.
Those bunkers allow the layout designer to use 2 to 4 bunkers less for the Snake. That means more bunkers left out for the back line, insert, center.
Yes, the bunkers don't get bigger BUT you get shorter distances between bunkers.
There are still 4 Mayan (tall towers), 4 Cans, 4 Temples (Aztecs) and 2 Large Doritos (I wont count the one on the 50).
That's 15 large bunkers for the bigger/older/slower players.

If you are part of that group, you most likely don't play the snake. Definitely not OTB. So you don't care about the height of the snake.
But you do care about making it to your primary and your secondary.
And those new bunkers will allow you to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineGames View Post
There are not. They are shorter. And the Snake beam is almost concave (about 2" shorter towards to middle.)
I'll see if I can get you pics with someone standing next to them.

RIP DAN DONLON
ThatGuy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 AM #218
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
That's not entirely true. Remember that if nobody sees you and nobody hears you, they don't know you're there until a coach or teammate tells them. That's more than enough time for a snake player to come up, take the shot, and slide forward. In any event, I would expect there to be something blocking the view from corner to corner so that snake players have a little more wiggle room to work with. Even a tall cake at the 50 would be enough to keep the corners off their back unless they're allowed to wrap all the way around the inside, which denotes a bigger problem than bunkers.
So, you are envisioning a situation where nobody on the opposing team, or their coach, has eyes on the snake.... when the snake is now 2,5 feet high, everywhere and the easiest kill on the field?

Well ok, it could happen, occasionally, once in a blue moon, I guess

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 AM #219
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy86 View Post
From the thread about these bunkers in the PSP forum:
Bunch of BS

Everyone cares about the height of the snake.... if you are not in it, you are trying to kill it.

And people have short memories..... every time a snake has been build, with 90 degree angles in it, it has sucked.... because it makes it way too easy to drop paint in on people, when they are not tight up against the side of the snake closest to the opponents.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 AM #220
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
So, you are envisioning a situation where nobody on the opposing team, or their coach, has eyes on the snake.... when the snake is now 2,5 feet high, everywhere and the easiest kill on the field?

Well ok, it could happen, occasionally, once in a blue moon, I guess
That's not what I said. The point is that the corner will likely be blocked out or preoccupied with his mirror and there will be blind spots, as there always are. If you move straight back while staying all the way down and against the side of the beam, you can and will move without being seen for the moment. There is almost always a delay between the coach talking to his players and the players reacting. That's your window of opportunity. It's uncomfortably short, but it's there. Are you screwed if someone near snake side is shooting over the beam? Of course. The whole idea is to do it before they can recognize what you're doing and react accordingly.

It seems as though many people are overlooking a potential result of this change - snake players will no longer be able to lock down the field by keeping their head up on the outside edge of the snake head and blasting anyone moving up the dorito side. This happened way too often, especially in the pro division, and made for boring games until someone broke the gridlock.

Last edited by eforce : 02-05-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 AM #221
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
It seems as though many people are overlooking a potential result of this change - snake players will no longer be able to lock down the field by keeping their head up on the outside edge of the snake head and blasting anyone moving up the dorito side. This happened way too often, especially in the pro division, and made for boring games until someone broke the gridlock.
I completely agree with you, that the D side will become all dominant now

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 AM #222
LSU Foolsball 70
CSL Owner!

LSU Foolsball 70 plays in the PSP
LSU Foolsball 70 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
LSU Foolsball 70 posts videos on PbNation
LSU Foolsball 70 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikguti

ok so no more cake in the snake???

i know why they are making this, because they want more paint in the air, now every one will want to wait to get some picks to get the snake!!! every one will roll their guns in their bunkers!!

like last year mod to the field for ``fat`` people, before for practice game i used to shoot 2 pods and a hoper, now i shoot 4 to 5 pods and a hoper per practice game!!! good one PSP!!! you are making me waste more money!
If your worried about wasting money why are you playing paintball in a speed format of play? Pump might be where you need to play jus saying.

New OrleansLETHAL 2014!!!
OBAMA BLOWS GOATS FOR QUARTERS SO DOES HIS FOLLOWERS!!!!
LSU Foolsball 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM #223
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
I completely agree with you, that the D side will become all dominant now
Drawing from what I first posted, this doesn't necessarily mean the balance has shifted. Sure, snake players can no longer just sit at the head and lock down the field, but at the same time, dorito players can no longer expect snake players to be at the head every time. This makes it harder to identify windows of opportunity. The biggest change will be the spontaneity now involved in playing the snake. Generally speaking, what this means is that awareness is more important than ever for all players on the field (and coaches too). I think we'll see a lot more surprise moves and sudden changes in the flow of the game.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 AM #224
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Drawing from what I first posted, this doesn't necessarily mean the balance has shifted. Sure, snake players can no longer just sit at the head and lock down the field, but at the same time, dorito players can no longer expect snake players to be at the head every time. This makes it harder to identify windows of opportunity. The biggest change will be the spontaneity now involved in playing the snake. Generally speaking, what this means is that awareness is more important than ever for all players on the field (and coaches too). I think we'll see a lot more surprise moves and sudden changes in the flow of the game.
I completely disagree with that - but if you've gotten that in your head, I won't change your mind through debate - we'll just have to wait and see who was best at predicting the outcome

Old 02-05-2012, 04:37 AM #225
IcyKoolAid
sugar water+purple=grape

some of you guys sound softer than baby powder, play paintball in any snake fool.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 AM #226
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyKoolAid View Post
some of you guys sound softer than baby powder, play paintball in any snake fool.

Let me hear you say that again now

Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 AM #227
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
u have got to be kidding me this is without a doubt the most retarded move that the psp will make. Trust me on this they will live to regret this. This is exactly what was the problem with the old fields is the fact that games took so long because snake players couldnt shoot inside.....

Im sick and tired of the BS from the psp they have been changing the league that we all love for years and this has finally gone far enough. Im boycotting the psp. Im sick and tired of this BS. This move makes no sense. All this does is allow snake players to shoot down the tape. Wow thanks for making the snake worthless.

And on top of that you are going to take money from legitiment field owners who are trying to be a mini feeder into your system pay more. Im sick of this I have had it. This needs to end right now.

I was backing the psp this whole time over the NPPL, but after this im done. The NPPL offically will get my money this is beyond crazy
2 Cyborg 6s, geo 3.5, luxe oled FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post84178345
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 AM #228
IcyKoolAid
sugar water+purple=grape

Quote:

Let me hear you say that again now

even that snake
Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 AM #229
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
i would definitely start playing snake again

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 AM #230
Eldaer
The Gentleman

Annual Supporting Member
Eldaer is playing at Living Legends VI
Eldaer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Eldaer supports Team VICIOUS
Eldaer posts videos on PbNation
Eldaer has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I think this promotes a lot more flexibility for older paintball teams. Should be an interesting change for sure.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM #231
Spazdoc

Annual Supporting Member
Spazdoc is a Supporting Member
Spazdoc plays in the PSP
Spazdoc supports our troops
Spazdoc plays in the APPA D3 division
Interesting. I think this will be fun, but only because I don't dive into snake off of break. I understand that the current players that play snake heavily hate this change, because it will require work on a previously unused (or poorly emphasized) skills. At first thought, I agree that it weakens the snake player, and will likely strengthen the 50 and Doritos sides. It will also increase the use of a player at a 30-40 tall bunker just raining paint on the snake to prevent cross field shots from snake.

Without the knuckles, the snake player can no longer pop up behind a bunker and scan for a cross-field shot. Now, the snake player will have to get good at quickly popping up and taking the intended shot, and dropping back down. This will have to be combined with more thought and communication with the coach and corner, along with knowing exactly where the angles are located. I am not saying that the snake players did not do this before, but they have to be much better at it now.

Aside from the monetary problem of updating the field, I like the changes in bunkers to keep things fresh. No different than having a unique layout, like some of the Chicago layouts or off-center 50X placement. Makes us think, rather than going through the same motions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrsir View Post
ewww...thanks god i don't play snake that often.
That's what you think. We're sending you to snake every point now....

pics of my markers --- old feedback
I want to Buy a Westwood or P&P Supercocker LE Autococker - Contact me
Gearbag sale - tanks, masks, barrels
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.