Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 AM #1
PzD319

M2A1 Bradley IFV build

I wanted to post some pics of my latest paintball tank - the M2A1 Bradley IFV. Should be a goos paintball AFV as it has a 360 degree turret with dual markers, room in the back for a gunner or two to cover the flanks, and a twin TOW missile launcher for anti-tank work. I have built the turret and installed the markers. The TOW's are in final developement. As you know, the TOW comes in an armored launcher unit that swings up to fire. That will be the case with this one as well. Thanks for viewing and your comments, PzD319

http://gallery.me.com/dkreyes#gallery
PzD319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM #2
CNCRouterman

Nice scaled build in progress

Very sweet. Do you plan to build full tracks?

If yes, I encourage you to visit ScaledTanks.com. That community is very gung-ho on replicas scaled tanks. They also have a significant resources pool of knowledge on building working tracks and a variety of drive trains. Drive trains from off the shelf hydraulic style, to classic skid steer open differentials, to double differential drive/steer, to do it yourself Mantra IV 2 and 4 speed Davy belt drive. Probably the best resource on the web for scaled tank enthusiasts.

They are NOT the best resource for pneumatics however, so try to avoid nerf cannon discussions till you get a feel for the hard boundaries. The rule set/code of conduct is ruthlessly enforced, but makes for a very constructive and friendly environment for pretty much everybody, teenagers to geriatrics.

Pneumatics discussions are best held here, or one of the other PB focused sites. PBTankers.org (notice the ".org") is another site friendly to scaled tankers, and Paintball AFV or Airsoft AFV discussions, including sport specific pneumatic cannon discussions.

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"
CNCRouterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM #3
PzD319

thanks for the info. i actually saw Dave's awesome tutorials on YouTube while reseaching my first paintball tank. it was based on an argo-style vehicle. so from the beginning i have been wanting to make my paintball tank more "tank".
once i saw what Dave had done, i went right to work on tank two. much to my wife's dismay

i am wanting to go full track on this one. i am a bit concerned about the size but i should be able to calculate size/weights pretty soon. once i get the final rough draft of the hull completed in my CAD program.

the turret is a proof of concept. it works well...
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM #4
hardboy

Wow.... very nice work. Cant wait to see it finished.
The Black Korps
hardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM #5
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

wow what a nice job on the turret! good luck with the rest of it!

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM #6
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Really nice job so far. Could I contract you to build me a turret like that?

Treaddz
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM #7
JESTERTLS

Yeah, that is deffinetly a nice turret build. We'll be looking forward to seeing more of it as you do the build.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 AM #8
PzD319

Thanks guys. I have been working on the TOW launcher lately. I have a good prototype missile which works really nice. The actuator just arrived so I will get started on the lift mechinism next. Wish me luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM #9
ScoobyJordan

ScoobyJordan is for the Gunfight
ScoobyJordan is for the Gunfight
ScoobyJordan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ScoobyJordan has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
That's very intimidating! i would run the other way if i saw you coming!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM #10
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VII
Pump Scout supports Team VICIOUS
Pump Scout is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Very nice! Are you going with firing ports like the live Brads have? That'd be a good bit of "authentic" going into it. That would also keep ground-pounders from sneaking up on the flanks and rear.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 PM #11
PzD319

Yeah, this is going to have dual linked pb markers on each side and ports to pop a marker out the rear ramp. The rear troop compartment will hold 1-2 players so there should be good all around protection. I also plan on having the players positions use large netted view ports on the side of the hull instead of periscopes. That should help with target acquisition and engagement.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 PM #12
doc92

Dangit, another cool tank that makes mine look like a pile of junk.
doc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM #13
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

I agree on a very nice build that makes others PAV's look like a ghetto tank. But the bottom line is not every tanker is created equal in the way of money and skill to build something. Some people really have the talent for nice builds like the original poster of this thread. In the games I have played in the scaled tanks dont have much advantage over the others just because they look prototypical. It really boils down to skill, luck, patience, and experience to be a successful tanker no matter what the tanks looks like. But to be honest I would prefer my tank to look more prototypical which is being worked on now. I havent quite liked its total looks since it went to the field a year or so ago. But you make changes to make it look better and more efficient as time goes on.

Treaddz
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM #14
CNCRouterman

I have to agree with Cromagnum Tankerman. A really good replica build is not automatically a combat effective design in the paint ball field. Real world paint ball scenario games have different tactical requirements than real world steal and lead bullets. Real bullet proof glass gets painted up quick, but PB netting doesn't, course, it doesn't stop real bullets either, but works great for PB. Bottom line, purpose built replica Armored Fighting Vehicles designed for Paint ball or Air soft really need to deviate from War-fighter design criteria to be "combat effective". Cool Factor is not the same as a winning design, but a winning design earns it "Cool".

Without a Doubt PzD319's efforts win the design "Cool Factor" and high merits for craftsmanship, so even if it never scores a kill, it will still be "Cool". With a little emphasis on the PB and Airsoft tactical requirements, as indicated, I expect it will hold it's own in (PB) battle too.

Been up against a few ghetto tanks that didn't win any "Artistic" medals, but because they had exceptional fields of view, were quite formidable on the field.

Keep up the good work PzD319.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM #15
doc92

I just stated it looks alot cooler and cleaner than mine. I never mentioned anything about function. The larger the tank the easier to tag. A Bradley replica will have the nose sticking out 8 feet from cover before the turret can even see the target. The turrets are cool and definitely get all the grunts to notice but I like the opfors not knowing where I'm looking until the barrel is pointing at them.

Last edited by doc92 : 02-13-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: pic
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM #16
CNCRouterman

Yup, I've seen builds similar to yours, at least in the aspect of using a LAW/RPG type primary weapon through fire ports or slits. Full 360 field of fire, and accuracy is as good as the gunner and the hardware.

The tanks I have played gunner from had fully rotating turrets with the cannon mounted on crude trunnions, so aiming required aligning the turret on target or at least close to it. Slower to bring to bear than doc's, but the extra mass does lend something towards stability.

There's always trade offs.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 PM #17
PzD319

I totally agree with you guys about PB vs. real world AFV requirements. Also that skill is the real determining factor on the battlefield.

But there is something to be said for the pride you feel when other players look at you like "Awe s**t, here comes the pain". I started playing scenario paintball about 5-6 years ago. I always have been handy in the shop so I decided to make my marker look like an MG42, complete with bipod and an ammo belt hanging off the side. Players would just stand aside when I passed.

Needless to say, even if I never get a kill, at least I will look good dying

Last edited by PzD319 : 02-13-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 AM #18
doc92

I still think that Bradley will look dang good. Yea, that stability thing can get a bit scary in a 3-wheel tank going down a hill at an angle.

Last edited by doc92 : 02-14-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: stab
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 PM #19
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

PzD319, Please continue your tank and turret build. It will give credit where its due and to us tankers who go to the field. Like I said not all of us possess the skills to build a tank of prototypical proportions. People like myself envy in what guys like you can create. Believe me its a good feeling and makes all your troubles worth it when players come up to you and tell you how great it looks and performs. BTW, speaking of performs. Make sure your tank engine and all other running parts are reliable and maintained. You dont wont your great looking tank sitting on the trailer or in the parking lot because it broke down on you. I see that alot. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on my tank to rebuild it to making sure it runs and can cover just about any terrain. Now thats done I am replacing the items that I rushed onto the tank to get onto the field to make it look and perform better.

Treaddz
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM #20
PzD319

Thanks Cromag. Mechanical reliablity is key. When I started researching tanks years ago, I found a guy who posted that 'a tank will cost you thousands of dollars, much more than you think. Make it mechanically reliable - seeing a pile of money sitting on the sideline sucks.' I also have practical experience. When I was young I got an old Jeep CJ5 which needed a lot of TLC. I had a limited amount of cash so it was either body work or fix the mechanicals. I went with body work. O, did that Jeep look good sitting in the driveway!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM #21
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzD319 View Post
I totally agree with you guys about PB vs. real world AFV requirements. Also that skill is the real determining factor on the battlefield. But there is something to be said for the pride you feel when other players look at you like "Awe s**t, here comes the pain". I started playing scenario paintball about 5-6 years ago. I always have been handy in the shop so I decided to make my marker look like an MG42, complete with bipod and an ammo belt hanging off the side. Players would just stand aside when I passed.

Needless to say, even if I never get a kill, at least I will look good dying

It's 90% skill ,10% weapon and 10% luck lol

when i first started building my tank destroyer everyone was like"you wont be able to aim fast enough you will have to turn the entire tank ectect" well no tank has ever outshot us in 6 years so i guess that theory is out the window. practice off the field helps alot too. so does tactics. ive been camoed up at times and nailed tanks from almost 100 yards away and they had ZERO idea where it came from.
i am building a 60% scale panzer 4 right now. ill post pics sometime. right now the hull and superstructure are framed out and some of the sheeting is on

1.SS Panzer Korps

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 02-15-2012 at 08:34 AM.
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote