PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 AM #22
Smart Parts Player12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce
You do realize that nearly every president we've had was in a fraternity right? Spoiled cowards don't get elected to the office of the president. They don't go on to run fortune 500 companies either. Besides, if you want to talk about autonomous cowards, look no further than OWS. Apple, Abercrombie & Fitch, and modern marketing already have the monopoly on charging people to look and act the same. It would be naive to say that fraternities started this crap.

Let's set that aside for a moment and think about this. Fraternities and sororities raise millions of dollars for charity and put in hundreds of thousands of hours of voluntary community service every year. Tell me, what have you done in the past year for your community? Chances are, you haven't done **** compared to every "frat douchebag" you came in here whining about.
That is a terribly fallacious argument.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM #23
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
... and where does your vast knowledge of greek life come from? A few trips to your friends' colleges where you got turned away at the door because you aren't a member?
My expierience with them at a number of schools. I never got turned away at any door either. Last time I was in a frat house, I was invited in for breakfast on gameday. Im not sour grapes, I just loathe frats for the reasons I mentioned above.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM #24
SuMaC

SuMaC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SuMaC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SuMaC has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ironically...its the guy whos NOT in the frat thats being the huge douchebag.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM #25
goodEYEDsniper
Iowa State Baller

Annual Supporting Member
goodEYEDsniper owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
goodEYEDsniper supports Team VICIOUS
goodEYEDsniper is an NCPA player
goodEYEDsniper has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
goodEYEDsniper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
goodEYEDsniper is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMaC View Post

Iowa State University Cyclones #563
•Team Site•
Sponsors
Guerrilla Air|Raza
goodEYEDsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM #26
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodEYEDsniper View Post
Haha, chah brah.

You right bro.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM #27
SuMaC

just sayin...you basically proved that you dont have to be in a frat to be a massive tool.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM #28
kuski19

Honestly can someone tell me one benefit of being in a frat, other that what I always hear, "I've meet so many people and I'm making connections/networking", two things that can be done easily without being in a frat. And don't say they throw the best parties. I'm not saying they are bad, they just are not anything special. Booze and women are at every party.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM #29
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuski19 View Post
Honestly can someone tell me one benefit of being in a frat, other that what I always hear, "I've meet so many people and I'm making connections/networking", two things that can be done easily without being in a frat. And don't say they throw the best parties. I'm not saying they are bad, they just are not anything special. Booze and women are at every party.
Consider this: Fraternity men all start off non-greek. We all know how things work if you're not in a house and we all know what the parties are like elsewhere. If you consistently hear people that went greek telling you the networking opportunities are fantastic, obviously that's in comparison to non-greek opportunities. For example, when I graduate, there are 100 years of alumni from my fraternity that will likely give me special consideration when applying for a job. In the mean time, if I need references for another job, I can get a recommendation from university faculty that are alumni from my chapter. As for the parties, the biggest house party you'll go to is a joke compared to a good sized fraternity party. We throw ragers with two sororities at a time. You'll never see that at an apartment. Please understand, I'm not trying to brag when I say that. It's to get the point across that until you actually experience it yourself, you won't know what you're missing out on.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 PM #30
SuMaC

the networking thing is whats got me interested...a buddy of mine is in the business fraternity at stony brook..a kid that he pledged with went to apply for an internship at madison square garden. the guy there took one look at his resume, saw the frat, and immediately hired him because it was the same one he was in when he went to college.

obviously you can network without being in a frat but it sure as hell seems to make it easier.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM #31
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
To those who think frats are for autonomous douches, sure there are guys who didn't really get to be the "cool" guy in high school or whatever and over embrace the whole frat experience, but they really should not be a reflection of what greek life has to offer. Those are the guys who join just to party and **** girls. The leaders in every house will be evident as they are usually the ones who have their **** together and influence the brothers in the house and not let the brothers influence him. Generally what I've seen is that the guys that go in wanting to be a "bro" come out a bro and those that have a stronger sense of self are only affected for the better and remain the same person. This is coming from a guy who's frat is know as "Same *******s Everywhere".

To the OP: just like college, you'll get out what you put into the frat. You won't turn into a bro unless you want to.

Edit: I have 4 best friends and only 1 of them is in the same frat as me. They are all the same down to earth guys I went to high school with.

NCC!

Last edited by Mr.JimJims2.0 : 02-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM #32
SuMaC

well i havent been able to go to a single rush event of the frat that i was most interested in...im thinkin my best bet at this point would be to wait until fall
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 AM #33
2jordan3

Greek is the way to go. I didnt pledge til I was a Junior and can say I've done alot more in my 2years of being greek then first two not being Greek. I didn't have the money but if you're a good kid Alums will help you out with the dues. As far as the parties go its not even close. Went from going to house parties to band parties with 500 people, and come Fall noone tailgates like the us. We can raise more money throwing a party for our philanthropy then any service organization can raise an entire semester, plus we all get a minimum 20hrs community service a semester. Meet great connections. Plus our GPA is well above the "All Men's Average". Also it gives you something to come back to after you graduate. Our Alumni have 3-4 events a year where they all come back and there are always atleast 200 of them there.
2jordan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM #34
iNvaZN
BALL SO HARD

Annual Supporting Member
iNvaZN supports Cereal Killerz 2
iNvaZN donated to help Peyton Trent
iNvaZN helped look for balloons
iNvaZN supports our troops
eforce said it best

I didn't plan on going Greek at all. Walked around this freshman carnival thing and a bunch of groups came up to me but only 1 stood out, ended up giving my info, and pledged the next semester

You want to pledge when you can afford to (money, light workload at school)

I found out after our first year at separate colleges, that some of my closest friends also went Greek and we share a different bond compared to my friends that didn't rush/pledge

Networking is what I benefited from most. Nowadays it isn't "what you know," but rather, "who you know"

85+ PBN | 500+ eBay | 6 years ASM | PAID badges | 2K4er

ELECTROS | CLASSICS
iNvaZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM #35
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

I rushed my freshman year.... my gpa was like a .7 something...

word of advice, wait a year or at least a semester. just so you can get your feet on the ground before having hell week, taking your brothers tests, dding at crazy hours etc etc.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM #36
SuMaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNvaZN View Post
eforce said it best

I didn't plan on going Greek at all. Walked around this freshman carnival thing and a bunch of groups came up to me but only 1 stood out, ended up giving my info, and pledged the next semester

You want to pledge when you can afford to (money, light workload at school)

I found out after our first year at separate colleges, that some of my closest friends also went Greek and we share a different bond compared to my friends that didn't rush/pledge

Networking is what I benefited from most. Nowadays it isn't "what you know," but rather, "who you know"

you dont happen to go to stony brook do you? APD's the frat i was lookin at haha
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 PM #37
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
well i havent been able to go to a single rush event of the frat that i was most interested in...im thinkin my best bet at this point would be to wait until fall
I would pledge in the spring if I were you. You'll have seniority over the big fall 2012 pledge class, you'll get another semester to live in (which is the whole point of joining), and you won't have to take on the responsibilities of pledgeship while still adjusting from summer to school. Given your relative apprehension, it would also be a better idea for you because spring pledgeship is traditionally a bit less intense than fall. Another nice thing about it is that since your pledge class will likely be smaller than the fall, it will be more tightly knit.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM #38
iNvaZN
BALL SO HARD

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
you dont happen to go to stony brook do you? APD's the frat i was lookin at haha
I go to CUNY Baruch but I've partied with the boys up there a few times. Almost went to stony myself since 2958257987 of my friends did haha. Great bunch of guys in that chapter

are you rushing?

ELECTROS | CLASSICS
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM #39
SuMaC

lol attempting to. im actually a commuter but im about 10 minutes away from campus. any time im not there im pretty much working. since i started talkin to them theyve had 3 rush events and i was out of town for 2 of them and one i had work during. definition of my luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 AM #40
iNvaZN
BALL SO HARD

Annual Supporting Member
haha no worries...I went to only 1 rush event myself when I pledged. just let one of the brothers know that you're busy with work if you're serious about rushing/pledging

ELECTROS | CLASSICS
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM #41
aaazackaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
I would pledge in the spring if I were you. You'll have seniority over the big fall 2012 pledge class, you'll get another semester to live in (which is the whole point of joining), and you won't have to take on the responsibilities of pledgeship while still adjusting from summer to school. Given your relative apprehension, it would also be a better idea for you because spring pledgeship is traditionally a bit less intense than fall. Another nice thing about it is that since your pledge class will likely be smaller than the fall, it will be more tightly knit.
Only the pussies or homos pledge spring..Im guessing you did Jake
aaazackaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM #42
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaazackaaa View Post
Only the pussies or homos pledge spring..Im guessing you did Jake
Fall semester freshman year, pledge class of 35. Good luck surviving USC's signature stab a greek week. You should be able to outrun them on your scooter. SuMaC, don't worry about that - it's only at USC.

Last edited by eforce : 02-09-2012 at 11:04 AM.