Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 AM #85
Maxpow999
 
 
Maxpow999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgaot33 View Post
I swear, if Santorum even wins the GOP I will be moving out of the country.
No kidding.
__________________
"You wanna get rid of drug crime in this country? Fine, let's just get rid of all the drug laws." -Ron Paul
"When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." -Ron Paul
"To me, to be a conservative means to conserve the good parts of America and to conserve our Constitution." -Ron Paul
"Throughout the 20th century, the Republican Party benefited from a non-interventionist foreign policy. Think of how Eisenhower came in to stop the Korean War. Think of how Nixon was elected to stop the mess in Vietnam." - Ron Paul
Maxpow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM #86
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es
 
Angry_Birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Oh... So you guys are cool with ol boy doing that?
If it were for somebody normal like Romney or Cain, I would feel bad, but Santorum is such an overtly bigoted and hypocritical ******* that I don't think you will find much sympathy for him anywhere.
__________________
Hop your pretty *** up in this ****ing car
***** I'm out this world girl you know I'm a star
Angry_Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM #87
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I wouldn't care if that attack was against just him. He doesn't get any sympathy. His family though?
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 PM #88
Pail Ail (Banned)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...DEwOTgyWj.html


http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1998/nsf9895/math.htm

Need a tissue for the egg on your face?

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded that you're taking this position. The entire field of Applied Mathematics is the application of pure mathematics to science, statistics, engineering, sociology, biology, among many other fields. To argue that a degree in math has any less social utility than, well, anything is just wrong. People who are fluent in the language of Mathematics are making some of the greatest contributions to society.


It's not great, but as a response to Santorum's bigoted anti-gay positions, I guess I'm okay with it.
hook.line.sinker.

So the only real social utility for mathematics is when it is applied methodologically to another field?

So then a mathematics degree alone really has no social utility. You can do better than this Umami, nice "attempt" (sort of an overstatement) though.

You basically just said "hey we can try to apply mathematics to specific fields but math on its own doesn't tell us anything". That doesn't contradict anything I said.
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 PM #89
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
hook.line.sinker.

So the only real social utility for mathematics is when it is applied methodologically to another field?

So then a mathematics degree alone really has no social utility. You can do better than this Umami, nice "attempt" (sort of an overstatement) though.

You basically just said "hey we can try to apply mathematics to specific fields but math on its own doesn't tell us anything". That doesn't contradict anything I said.
stop trolling. you're better than that.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM #90
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World
 
licence_to_kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: good ol' So Cal
licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
what exactly is math on its own?
__________________
SAN DIEGO
CHARGERS

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM #91
Pail Ail (Banned)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
stop trolling. you're better than that.
And he knows better than to think by claiming a mathematics degree has low social utility, similar to that of a queer studies degree (in response to 2ffu which is a huge context clue considering he always claims X social studies degree is useless), means that getting a math degree is useless. What really happened is Umami decided he didn't like what I said because he likes math and he had previously just claimed I am deserving of no respect for an off-hand comment about militaryfags (forgive me if you're gay and/or offended) so forgive me if I don't give him the benefit of the doubt.

He couldn't separate his positivist bias from what he was reading, that's not my fault.

but that's the end of this exchange
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM #92
Pail Ail (Banned)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
what exactly is math on its own?
do you know the difference between economics and applied economics?

Theory versus empiricism. How can an econ major not know that?
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 PM #93
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World
 
licence_to_kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: good ol' So Cal
licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
knowing that 2+2=4 is pretty ****ing useful

is that not mathematic theory?
__________________
SAN DIEGO
CHARGERS

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 PM #94
Pail Ail (Banned)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
knowing that 2+2=4 is pretty ****ing useful

is that not mathematic theory?
You don't actually study economics do you?

Think basic economic principles and get back to me.
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM #95
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World
 
licence_to_kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: good ol' So Cal
licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
maybe you should explain yourself better because i don't follow, and by the looks of things i don't think anybody else does either
__________________
SAN DIEGO
CHARGERS

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM #96
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World
 
licence_to_kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: good ol' So Cal
licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
as i re-read your posts it seems to me you're saying that any degree which doesn't go to use is worthless, which is obviously true.

but nobody was making that argument. i'm pretty sure not2ffu, as stupid as he is, was assuming that those degrees get put to use.
__________________
SAN DIEGO
CHARGERS

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM #97
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World
 
licence_to_kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: good ol' So Cal
licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
on another note, not2ffu couldn't even make it at morgan stanley

lulz
__________________
SAN DIEGO
CHARGERS

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 PM #98
AlphaNeo36
lapping your tears
 
AlphaNeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 765-IN
 has been a member for 10 years
These arguments are getting ridiculously stupid.
__________________
Overbear: better 10 innocent men be convicted, than a single guilty man go free to commit more crime.
Overbear: I prefer that I be given a license to shoot anyone who would pick socialism or communism over the basic freedoms inherent to consumerism.
MatrixBaller04 AKA EricS6661: I can guarantee something will happen between now and February 9th.
yesme: i'm not saying you should invest in gold first off, you would be much better off to invest in food,stuff you use and will keep for a couple of years, like razors
Blake360: in highschool, my teacher's father worked for the CIA and she brought my class documents proving the Roswell crash was of extraterrestrial origin.
AlphaNeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 PM #99
Pail Ail (Banned)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
as i re-read your posts it seems to me you're saying that any degree which doesn't go to use is worthless, which is obviously true.

but nobody was making that argument. i'm pretty sure not2ffu, as stupid as he is, was assuming that those degrees get put to use.
They're all useful, but when using a metric like social utility a degree in mathematics won't really contribute just like a queer studies degree wouldn't add to societies utility. They can be used in a useful way, and they may very well be worth studying (on an individual by individual basis), but they aren't providing loads of utility for society as a whole when compared to the work of the engineer.

I'd put mathematics on the same level as philosophy. Highly worthwhile for studying, not very worthwhile for contributing (and i'm looking at all this from an economics pov) to society (i.e. the average person won't notice the great work done by Rorty but they will notice and benefit from the work done by unknown engineer and architect who built the street they drive on).
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 AM #100
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
Hmm yeah, mathematics does not contribute to a societies utility. Shame. One could do well if it did. Now if we could somehow prepare a student (using math) to become usefull in a way that truly makes an impact in society...like i don't know, helping to establish a vast and usefull infrastructure...

https://www.civil.tamu.edu/downloads...atalog_131.pdf

...nah, math is usless and completely on par with 'queer history.'
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/

Last edited by marcozombie : 01-30-2012 at 12:20 AM.
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 AM #101
Pail Ail (Banned)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
Hmm yeah, mathematics does not contribute to a societies utility. Shame. One could do well if it did. Now if we could somehow prepare a student (using math) to become usefull in a way that truly makes an impact in society...like i don't know, helping to establish a vast and usefull infrastructure...

https://www.civil.tamu.edu/downloads...atalog_131.pdf

...nah, math is usless and completely on par with 'queer history.'
Are you being purposefully retarded?

Nothing I am saying is controversial in anyway, and as soon as you apply mathematical theory to empirical problems you're venturing beyond simple mathematics and into a new field.

P.s. it's not very democratic of you to claim queer history is useless, but thanks for accepting some of my assumptions

psps why do you link to a civil engineering major when I'm claiming a major in mathematics is useless? Purposefully ignoring the fact that such a link strengthens my argument?
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM #102
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
You don't actually study economics do you?

Think basic economic principles and get back to me.
Everyone knows , "The only reason we keep economists around is to make the weathermen look good.". I forgot who said it but it's true.

Their job is to make 50 economic predictions and if 1 one comes true they consider themselves a hero.

Want to know why they make so much money relative to scientists and engineers? I'll prove it with math from the Dilbert principle.

Power = work / time.

Everyone knows knowledge (k) is power and time is money.

Substitute K= w/$

Take the limit as k --> 0 , $ --> infinity

Not sure what this has to do with Santorum being an idiot, but... whatever.

Last edited by scienceguy : 01-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM #103
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell
 
rnauman821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 563
rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
rnauman821 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Except that not everyone who enters college studies Science and Engineering. I'm not defending any of this, just saying. Honestly, if your focus is liberal arts (useless), I'm sure he's accurate. I mean holding a degree in lesbian latino studies is pretty much the embodiment of leftism. Tack on some mental retardation component to that "degree" and you are a leftist deity.

He is partially right in that marxists did infiltrate academia pretty hard.
If you are going to assume by attending a program of further education you are predestined to be turned liberal, I will assume you are retarded.

1. People that decide to major in "lesbian latino studies" (really stupid example) don't just show up as racist bigots and turn into accepting leftists. People follow their own moral compass, college just gives them more room to follow whatever direction they decide to follow.

2. People pick their own schools, majors, and their own classes.... So it is completely up to them which professors they have, what clubs they are involved in, and what people they surround themselves with.

3. It seems to me most republican senators, congressmen, governors all seem to have gone to college... most for an additional several years for a masters or doctorate. So they should unequivocally be Liberal with all their time spend at these brain wash camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBlood View Post
I would say that most of the people in my major (Economics & Finance) were "indoctrinated" far far more to the right than they were to the left. Although that may be because the profs like to make us think we're the future 1%ers of America
Yep, it's the same way with most MBA's and CPA's. However it isn't "right" as much as becoming more fiscally conservative in voting motivation... Which anymore doesn't lend itself to either party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafari Makonnen View Post
Liberal Arts does not teach you critical thinking. Those courses teach you how to cherry pick evidence that supports your argument. Sciences teach you critical thinking.
I will pick hairs but most hard sciences teach you analytical thinking. The term Critical thinking is a much broader concept, often tied in with the philosophy of truth. I do agree with you that most with a LA Major aren't much more than empowered versions of their freshman self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
But whats wrong with a person who is spiritual?
Religious individuals often defer any and all logic in place of misquoted doctrine that is hundreds to thousands of years old, regardless of what hard tangible evidence has been able to substantiate or what circumstances exist around the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
.

If your child can be completely brainwashed in a 16 week semester, they are literally too stupid to be in college and should consider dropping out. Professors teach you to think independently and to question, traits that generally don't mesh well with social conservatism.
This. I don't understand why cults use the methods they do when all they need to do it send someone to a class 3 hours a week for 4 months and they will come out a zombie.
rnauman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM #104
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnauman821 View Post
...
Religious individuals often defer any and all logic in place of misquoted doctrine that is hundreds to thousands of years old, regardless of what hard tangible evidence has been able to substantiate or what circumstances exist around the issue.
...

A generalization is your answer? A bad one at that.

Are you playing devil's advocate?
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM #105
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell
 
rnauman821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 563
rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
rnauman821 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
A generalization is your answer? A bad one at that.

Are you playing devil's advocate?
A generalization is my answer. One that proves itself correct time and time again.

I am stoutly against religion. I believe what little good it does would be accomplished just as easily without it's existence. However the negatives blatantly derived from organized faith still hold our species back.
rnauman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump