the magical mystery kind

has been a member for 10 years
spyder20 plays in the APPA D3 division
Rick santorum is legally retarded
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 AM #65
scienceguy

I've always found it funny that the Santorums of the world equate getting an education with becoming an evil liberal.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM #66
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I think Santorum's comments are indicitive to what is wrong with the Repubilcan party and the problems the Neo-Conservative movement is having attracting new supporters and keeping existing supporters toeing the party line.

They lack orignal ideas to the solutions facing the Nation. So instead they are looking for a uniting ralling point that the Tea partiers, conventional conservatives, and Neo-Cons can all agree upon. Normally a Democrat President is the traditional united ralling point BUT they can't attack Obama over the economy because their solution (keynesian economic theory) is the same theory Obama is using and will just as ineffective Obama's has been do to American's crushing National Debt. They can't attack him on defence because Obama has a better track record against fighting terrorism than they did. When it comes to social issues the republican's are in even worse shape. Their traditional strong points of family amd moral values have undercut by leadership that can't keep it in their pants and remain faithfull to their wives, their stance on the "traditional family" being the only good way to raise a family is no longer how the majority of American families live.

All that 's left is Hollywood (which is never a good target because most American's love their favorite Hollywood actors more than ANYBODY in Washington) and Higher Education. So it doesn't surprise me that Republicans are going after high education as they become desparate to gain support.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 AM #67
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceguy View Post
I've always found it funny that the Santorums of the world equate getting an education with becoming an evil liberal.
I think its even funnier that the Santorums of the world are Alumi of, and busily sending their own children to, the same "dens of evil" they cry out against.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM #68
marcozombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
The point is, your average progressive leftist blah blah (it's all the same ****ing thing) holds the most incapable in the highest regard.

Is that a bad thing? I don't know about you, but holding the "most incapable in the highest regard" sounds kinda "Jesusy" to me. Is being "Jesusy" a bad thing?

I know you take care of retarded kids and adults, which is a good thing since we insist on keeping them around. I applaud you. Seriously, that takes some determination.
I don't "take care of retarded kids." I teach students with disabilites to become independent and hopefuly productive members of society. You know like what conservatives are constantly harping about with the "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" line.

Also, your "insist on keeping them around" comment perplexes me: As if we had another choice on what to do with 'them.' Should it be back to the 'sanatariums' with them? I don't get it?

Thanks for the props though
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 PM #69
marcozombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
NOW Liberal Arts does not teach you critical thinking. It used to.
I think you are wrong in your generalization.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:06 PM #70
Tha-Italian-Stallion
InfiniteScornInOurHearts

Tha-Italian-Stallion supports our troops
Tha-Italian-Stallion supports Pev's Paintball
Being a student attending the University of California, Santa Cruz, I can attest to the validity of his claim. There's a reason my 101 class has the chosen topic of Marxism. Of all the topics one could pick to analyze and critique literature, they mandate we go through what is essentially a class formed to radicalize thought in a Marxist fashion. Likewise, I cannot tell you how often the numerous political outbursts of both students and professors that are so vehemently anti "anything resembling a conservative" occur. I can say with full confidence that colleges are for the most part the place where people learn liberal = good, conservative = bad.

The best part of college is the conformity of thought that goes on here. I attend what is considered the most liberal college in America, and rightly so, if you could only see the number of drug addled hippies here you'd agree. With that in mind though, we're also the least diverse college in the UC system, which is to say we have the highest white population. I suppose hipsters don't enjoy it when observable evidence negates their foolish beliefs about say, the plight of minorities in this country.

Rapier7: Freeing the slaves was the fallback reasoning when the mounting casualties made "saving the Union" morally inadequate. I wouldn't call Lincoln vindicated. I'd just say the outcome was better than what we expected, hopefully.
Tha-Italian-Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 PM #71
marcozombie

My question would be: Why Santa Cruz when you could have gone to other more conservative schools in SoCal?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM #72
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
I don't "take care of retarded kids." I teach students with disabilites to become independent and hopefuly productive members of society. You know like what conservatives are constantly harping about with the "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" line.

Also, your "insist on keeping them around" comment perplexes me: As if we had another choice on what to do with 'them.' Should it be back to the 'sanatariums' with them? I don't get it?

Thanks for the props though
First off, Jesus was kind of a loser, if you take the modern Christian characterization of him seriously.

Disabled, retarded, whatever. I'm not interested in changing terminology constantly.

There's always choices.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM #73
Pail Ail (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Your ignorance has been on a ****ing roll lately.
Lol. Did I say getting a math degree was bad? Did you even read what I was replying to? To claim that a degree in mathematics provides a lot of social utility is silly and wrong. Given that business, math, and engineering degrees were 3 "useful" degree types according to 2ffu, I think it's right for me to point out that the social utility of receiving an education in mathematics is on the same level as a degree in queer history.

Prove me wrong. If I'm so ignorant yet you can't provide anything to make me doubt what I'm saying what does that make you?
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 PM #74
Seahawk6060

In my case, the left-wing professors didn't exactly try to overtly indoctrinate the class. Most of them simply plant the seed of doubt and let it germinate. All it takes for you to be a left-wing progressive is to doubt. Doubt about the world, your faith, and your most closely held beliefs. Once you've been deconstructed and doubt everything, including yourself, then you've joined the "left."

I think it's important that academic institutions make you question the world and yourself, however, at the end of the day life's important questions need to be answered. In business, as in a lot of professions, before you ask the question, you better have a good rational answer, otherwise you'll be dismissed by your betters and seen as a trouble maker, rather than a problem solver. Living requires answers, even if they can't be classified as ultimate "truth."

People of religion, like Santorum (this isn't meant as a plug for him), have found answers in their faith. It's the engine that provides their motive force and reason for being. The fact that we don't share that faith (I include myself in that category) shouldn't undermine the value that his faith brings to society. I may not share his religious beliefs, but I do share his basic values. He brings a standard and code that is no longer institutionalized in our colleges and universities. As long as there is no standard and more questions than answers coming out of our education system, then the system will keep churning out more lost souls who only see themselves as victims of a world consumed by more questions than answers.
Seahawk6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 PM #75
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Google Santorum and see the first result, a friend of mine just showed me.

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM #76
SuperSupra619 (Banned)

Attending such a liberal college and having so many liberal professors has only served to reaffirm and reassure the beliefs I held that were considered "conservative".
SuperSupra619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM #77
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball
A douche bag of an activist did that without a second thought to the people that might be effected other than the politician.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM #78
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
A douche bag of an activist did that without a second thought to the people that might be effected other than the politician.
HAHAHAHAHA people that might be affected ... that's rich. Think of the children!!!
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM #79
scienceguy

Quote:
Oh the humanity.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM #80
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
I cant agree more. This douche bag insulted all the "frothy mixtures of lube and fecal matter" everywhere.

ZING!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM #81
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
The first one other than his own site? Yeah just saw that - haha.

Santorum is a staunch creationist and anti evolution - I would gladly vote for Obama over him and any Republican who holds a similar point of view. The overly religious Republicans are nearly as dangerous as the far far left candidates who run for similar offices in the government.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 PM #82
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Oh... So you guys are cool with ol boy doing that?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 01-28-2012 at 08:30 PM.
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM #83
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
Lol. Did I say getting a math degree was bad? Did you even read what I was replying to? To claim that a degree in mathematics provides a lot of social utility is silly and wrong. Given that business, math, and engineering degrees were 3 "useful" degree types according to 2ffu, I think it's right for me to point out that the social utility of receiving an education in mathematics is on the same level as a degree in queer history.

Prove me wrong. If I'm so ignorant yet you can't provide anything to make me doubt what I'm saying what does that make you?
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...DEwOTgyWj.html

Quote:
The Role of Mathematics in Society

Although most of the mathematical research community is university-based, the impact of mathematics on society is pervasive. Mathematics underpins most current scientific and technological activities. Whole new areas of mathematics are evolving in response to problems in experimental science (biology, chemistry, geophysics, medical science), in government (defense, security), and in business (industry, technology, manufacturing, services, finance). All of these areas now require the analysis and management of huge amounts of loosely structured data, and all need mathematical models to simulate phenomena and make predictions. Modeling and simulation are essential to fields where observable data are scarce or involve a great deal of uncertainty, such as astronomy, climatology, and public policy analysis. Addressing such complex problems calls for openness to all of mathematics and to the emergence of new mathematics. Progress requires radical theoretical ideas as well as significantly greater collaboration between pure mathematicians, statisticians, computer scientists, and experimental scientists.
http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1998/nsf9895/math.htm

Need a tissue for the egg on your face?

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded that you're taking this position. The entire field of Applied Mathematics is the application of pure mathematics to science, statistics, engineering, sociology, biology, among many other fields. To argue that a degree in math has any less social utility than, well, anything is just wrong. People who are fluent in the language of Mathematics are making some of the greatest contributions to society.

Quote:
Oh... So you guys are cool with ol boy doing that?
It's not great, but as a response to Santorum's bigoted anti-gay positions, I guess I'm okay with it.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 01-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM #84
madgaot33

madgaot33 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I swear, if Santorum even wins the GOP I will be moving out of the country.