Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Question Electro vs Mech; For beginner guns

I've always been the kind of guy who believes most players should start with something simple like a 98c, or Spyder, learning the fundamentals and testing out the sport before spending too much cash.

I always felt the people who start with mech guns tend to learn how to shoot, how to move, etc better. While the electro guys tend to just spray and waste tons of paint. Even if the paint sales help our industry.

With the rise of cheaper electros and used guns for for $150-300, I'm seeing lots of people telling new players to go grab a used Ego or Bob Long.

How do you guys and gals feel about it?

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"

Last edited by o5pr3y : 01-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 AM #2
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Agreed. I typically recommend a mech first, unless the player already has some electros in mind. Maintenance is less involving, they're cheaper, won't go through paint as fast, etc. BUt even if they have electros in mind, i generally try to steer them toward entry-level electros instead.

Now really, they should START with pump, but that's a rather extreme view. I wish i started with a pump, then maybe my aim would be better, lol.

Last edited by nerdcore : 01-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM #3
CONFEDERATE ARMY
ha ha ha

CONFEDERATE ARMY has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
personally i think it depends.... mostly on age, it seems the older you get the more you realize the actual mechanaics of the game , the younger kids i feel are just scared crapless when they go aginst something called ramping, forces them to grip their m98 as firm as their parents when their about to get a shot at the DR. i think throwing a ion in their hands really loosens them up a bit... personally i remember a few times during open play when i got shot early on i would find the littlest guy i could on my way to the tape line and take off my pod pack and set my gun down and say something like go ahead buddy , everythings turned on, be careful tho it, it will shoot if you just barely touch the trigger... through the kids mask everytime it is the same face made when people scratch off them fake lottery tickets that are always winners... i know the cost is up there for someone just starting out but i really think the younger groups should never be out gunned.... HOWEVER .... ive had times where when you put a electro in the wrong hands teammates get shot in the back of the head and such.. personally i dont think theirs any place for ramping or full auto of any sort with open play.. i think its bad for the game, big games, tournys, etc ramping is perfectly fine but i been playing since a vm-68 was considered a goood gun.. ive been through the ages, and i can say i feel ramping has hurt the noobs and younger groups that are out gunned ... just my 2 cents

if you hear....
a "yeee ha" in the woods its never a good thing for the other team (either i just took a few of your players out or im comming your way...)
a "yeee ha" on a plane is something to not even think about , just RUN (pointing a gun at me only tempts me to drop off and shoot you in the face) "its happened before and will again.
a "yeee ha" in a chopper it might be a good idea to just call your self out now. (no discription needed.......at all!!!)

Global conquest y2k12 team mexico "president"
CONFEDERATE ARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM #4
nabisco_12

nabisco_12 is playing at Living Legends VII
nothing can shoot faster than an AutoMag Rt..... it can be set up where the trigger feels like a electro pull, a pneumatic set up.... and with the new ninja tank reg it makes the marker just that more better.... then the fact u can customize the crap out of it....
nabisco_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 AM #5
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
I want a pneumag so bad it's not even funny.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM #6
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
It depends on the player and where they are at. I would say for the FIRST day a tippman 98C is all they need. But on day TWO they will want an electro. I suggest renting/borrowing for a bit then when you are serious get a new under warranty mid-end electro, don't waste the money on a spyder/tippman 98C. Once you can maintain a mid-end then you can look into used high-end for the third purchase.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote