Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 PM #1
the gun show
fat boy baller

the gun show owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
the gun show supports DLX Technology
tournament team need help!!!

hey guys me and a friend are looking to start a team and i would like some pointers on where to start and just some general pointers
post here please
thanks guys

Modern Day MOBsters
The Luxe MOB
the gun show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 PM #2
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Step one, set a goal(s). Pick a tournament, put it on the calendar and PLAY IT. Whether or not you think you're ready. You're probably not going to be ready for your first tournament, but you won't know where you stand until you've gotten out there and done it. Then, when the time comes for your second or third event you WILL be ready.

Step two, practice. Start with basics, if you need to work on physical stuff, get your boys doing some sort of conditioning routine during the week. Then get some sort of schedule together for practice. Manage your practice time so that it is effective, lots of teams waste tons of time when they could be doing good work.

When you practice, start with the basics, simple drills and form. You've got to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run. Establishing sound fundamentals will put you ahead of the game. In my experience the most effective drills are those that can best isolate the one thing your working on. Lots of teams want to run goofy complex drills, resist the temptation. Even if it's boring (and it often is) isolating your basics will enable you to execute the more complex stuff better and more cleanly. Keep any criticism constructive and upbeat so that your players feel / know they are improving.

Step three, find another (preferably better) team and scrimmage. Talk to their guys, be respectful, set up a practice and show up early, get your basics in and then play as many points as you can. Work on the weakest aspects of your game. No one likes getting smoked all day, but if you spend time practicing what you're already good at, you're not really getting any better. Shuffle your guys around, play different positions and game plans as much as possible, limit your down time. Stay positive, the entire point of practice is to improve, no one ever won a tournament by beating down the team the scrimmaged the week before.

In my mind, the toughest part isn't finding capable players, or places to play or even money, it's getting your system organized enough to get the team moving forward in a manner that's going to keep everyone on board and committed.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM #3
the gun show
fat boy baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen
Step one, set a goal(s). Pick a tournament, put it on the calendar and PLAY IT. Whether or not you think you're ready. You're probably not going to be ready for your first tournament, but you won't know where you stand until you've gotten out there and done it. Then, when the time comes for your second or third event you WILL be ready.

Step two, practice. Start with basics, if you need to work on physical stuff, get your boys doing some sort of conditioning routine during the week. Then get some sort of schedule together for practice. Manage your practice time so that it is effective, lots of teams waste tons of time when they could be doing good work.

When you practice, start with the basics, simple drills and form. You've got to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run. Establishing sound fundamentals will put you ahead of the game. In my experience the most effective drills are those that can best isolate the one thing your working on. Lots of teams want to run goofy complex drills, resist the temptation. Even if it's boring (and it often is) isolating your basics will enable you to execute the more complex stuff better and more cleanly. Keep any criticism constructive and upbeat so that your players feel / know they are improving.

Step three, find another (preferably better) team and scrimmage. Talk to their guys, be respectful, set up a practice and show up early, get your basics in and then play as many points as you can. Work on the weakest aspects of your game. No one likes getting smoked all day, but if you spend time practicing what you're already good at, you're not really getting any better. Shuffle your guys around, play different positions and game plans as much as possible, limit your down time. Stay positive, the entire point of practice is to improve, no one ever won a tournament by beating down the team the scrimmaged the week before.

In my mind, the toughest part isn't finding capable players, or places to play or even money, it's getting your system organized enough to get the team moving forward in a manner that's going to keep everyone on board and committed.
Definitely going to use this advice

Modern Day MOBsters
The Luxe MOB
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 AM #4
skeeter456
eats puss lik wonton soup

skeeter456 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
make sure to have fun...i have been on many teams, some felt more like a job then having fun.
skeeter456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM #5
the gun show
fat boy baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter456
make sure to have fun...i have been on many teams, some felt more like a job then having fun.
That's a good idea

Modern Day MOBsters
The Luxe MOB
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 PM #6
LiL_NguyeN707

LiL_NguyeN707 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
LiL_NguyeN707 plays in the APPA D4 division
When forming your team, go with people you can get along with. It doesn't matter if they are the best player ever, if you cant get along with them, they dont mean anything. The most important thing in paintball is to have fun, and having bad teammates isnt going to accomplish that.

I would also make sure that everyone is good and able to practice routinely. As posted above(in his opinion) it isnt the biggest factor. I would slightly agree with that, its not the biggest, but its within the top 3. When you go to a field or store and ask for a sponsorship, way down the road, they want consistency. My team is currently working on sponsorship with a local field, and thats the main thing they want.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM #7
the gun show
fat boy baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_NguyeN707
When forming your team, go with people you can get along with. It doesn't matter if they are the best player ever, if you cant get along with them, they dont mean anything. The most important thing in paintball is to have fun, and having bad teammates isnt going to accomplish that.

I would also make sure that everyone is good and able to practice routinely. As posted above(in his opinion) it isnt the biggest factor. I would slightly agree with that, its not the biggest, but its within the top 3. When you go to a field or store and ask for a sponsorship, way down the road, they want consistency. My team is currently working on sponsorship with a local field, and thats the main thing they want.
Ok thanks

Modern Day MOBsters
The Luxe MOB
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 AM #8
trixR4kids.
she only had one hand

trixR4kids. supports Team VICIOUS
trixR4kids. plays in the APPA D4 division
trixR4kids. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't put too much pressure on winning right away, it will come. The Dynasty Dysected video has great team drills I suggest watching that. Maybe watch an event together talk about what you see and what you would do differently.( I would also suggest doing this after every practice.) Most importantly keep it fun that is the fastest way players get burnt out, quit and why teams dont make it. If it becomes a chore or a job it becomes a waste of money.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 AM #9
the gun show
fat boy baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixR4kids.
Don't put too much pressure on winning right away, it will come. The Dynasty Dysected video has great team drills I suggest watching that. Maybe watch an event together talk about what you see and what you would do differently.( I would also suggest doing this after every practice.) Most importantly keep it fun that is the fastest way players get burnt out, quit and why teams dont make it. If it becomes a chore or a job it becomes a waste of money.
Ok thanks

Modern Day MOBsters
The Luxe MOB
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 AM #10
gersan101
BOSS

Annual Supporting Member
gersan101 is playing at Living Legends V
gersan101 supports Team VICIOUS
gersan101 is for the Gunfight
gersan101 posts videos on PbNation
gersan101 is Legendary
gersan101 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I would start with people you know first and then recruit more in time

Also make sure you know the cost of tourneys and paint for those tourneys

Usually if you go to a local shop for paint before a tourney they will give you a wholesale discount
gersan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 AM #11
calidrifter
Bloody Wooden Pickles

calidrifter posts videos on PbNation
calidrifter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
calidrifter has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
calidrifter is a top reviewer
calidrifter supports DLX Technology
Just follow and tweak some of the things said here. Also don't skimp on tournament level paint.

"Originally posted by B*FordPRO: I dont read the manuals to guns, I just shoot them and hope they work. If not, I have a tech do that for me. (This is what you call baller status and I am a baller)."
calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM #12
the gun show
fat boy baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidrifter
Just follow and tweak some of the things said here. Also don't skimp on tournament level paint.
Ok

Modern Day MOBsters
The Luxe MOB
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM #13
SNEAKY JO

SNEAKY JO plays in the PSP
SNEAKY JO owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SNEAKY JO has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Its ahrd to start your own team, but if you have the amount of friends to do this then utilize it. No one is ever ready for their 1st event, I took dead last my 1st event. But i learned a few things on the field that day, 1 of those being always have fun. Thats the most important rule of paintball.
CHICAGO BACKDRAFT

The Badlandz
G.I Sportz
BBT
SNEAKY JO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM #14
gbaby19_2
Making a comeback

gbaby19_2 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter456 View Post
+284249072387234893

One of the main reasons why I quit playing paintball
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM #15
PAfrontman22

PAfrontman22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PAfrontman22 plays in the APPA beginner division
Lots of good answers here. First thing you can do is start out small. Try a few local tournaments and move up from there. We started as a 3-man team then moved into 5 man and progressed up in divisions. Best of luck!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 AM #16
sogo

Everyone should have tournament level gear. This doesn't mean you need to go spend $1,500. There are plenty of markers on this site < $200 that will shoot accurately @ 15bps, loaders for <$50, and air tanks aren't too expensive either.

once everyone has gear spend all your extra money on practice! get out on a field with the three of you & shoot paintball's together. learn how each other play. Get beat down by teams that are better than you, one day you will return the favor

With that being said I'll reiterate, HAVE FUN!!

One of my team practices usually goes like this, meet up in the AM dick around. Once paintball starts its serious time. Lunch break shennangins. Back to super cereal. Afterward eating burgers & drinking beers
sogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM #17
theh0liestcow
No, I am not cheating.

theh0liestcow has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
theh0liestcow has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post

That was really helpful man, thanks!
theh0liestcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 PM #18
TrYH@Rd

Alright Im new to this website but not to paintball, ive been playing for the past year to year and a half and am looking to get on a team. i started one about three months ago then quit cause no one would show up to play and they wouldnt pay for the equiment that they were supposed to pay me back for! but if anybodies knows where any tryouts will be and the info on them id appreciate the heads up.
TrYH@Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM #19
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
It's a bit late in the season to get picked up, but check the regional forum for your state. You could certainly find a squad to practice with or sub in with.

The majority of team tryouts are going to happen in the December and January, which is "off season" for most tournament series. This gives the teams' plenty of time to try out new talent, pick up the guys they want and get in serious practice time before tourney season cranks back up again.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 PM #20
TrYH@Rd

alright thanks, and i live in Arkansas so there arent very many teams and arent very many feilds either so what should i do? btw im fifteen so i dont know a whole lot about this but i know all the types of paintball and almost all the rules
TrYH@Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM #21
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
Not sure what the question is there. If you don't have access to a field, you may have to wait until you're 16 and can drive. If you have financial constraints, that's going to present more of a problem. Most of the jobs people get at that age are tough to get out of on the weekends for practice or events. In case you haven't noticed, paintball is expensive, you will have trouble supporting the habit.

If you're concerned with breaking in to a small, close knit community, you just have to start a dialog with those guys, be respectful, work hard, [in some cases] take your lumps, and just generally prove yourself to be a solid guy who's good to be around and can play some ball. Most teams won't care about having an extra body at practice, so start there. Walking up to someone and asking, "Do you mind if..." is as good a place to start as any.

Tournament ball isn't like recball, you have to work at it. Do research here, on youtube, read magazine articles etc. etc. Work on stuff by yourself, basic form, snap shooting, off hand shooting. All of that can be done at home. Even a few minutes a day will make a difference. Get yourself in good physical condition, strengthen your legs and core, work on your recovery rate. Interval training is excellent for that. Just focus on being the best paintball player you can be. If you do that, more than likely you'll get a shot somewhere along the line.