PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-10-2014, 02:54 PM #1
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

Flying with gear

I've been watching lots of videos and doing some reading, but do any of you guys have tips for the best ways to travel with your gear? I'm sure there are many out there that will be making flights to get to this game, so a central last minute thread might help out.
Wakewarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM #2
AMZ

AMZ is playing at Living Legends VII
This will be the first time I have flown with my gear but here's what I found out so far:

I went to the TSA website to verify this. Make sure to remove your regulator from your HPA tank. Even with no pressure they will not let you ship your tank with the regulator on. They need to be able to visually see into the tank. You can carry the tank on the flight or put it in your checked luggage. I put my tanks in plastic zip locks to keep dirt out. Same with the regulators. Markers need to be in your checked luggage. One tip I got was to print out the TSA regulations and put a copy in your luggage on top of your gear. I'm not sure of this but I have been told that even though the TSA does not consider markers firearms it is a good idea to declare them when checking your bag. Also I travel a lot and luggage is definitely not treated gently. I have my markers in cases and my tanks wrapped in towels and located in the middle of my gear bag. I am going to carry my mask on the flight so it doesn't get damaged. I have found masks don't do well in luggage. I used a D clip and just hooked it to my backpack.

Here are the links to the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ball-equipment
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...-gas-cylinders
AMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 AM #3
Jepstein

Thanks for the post - anyone aware if any special rules when traveling internationally? Headed to Brazil and want to ensure I have no issues. Thks
Jepstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 PM #4
bag681
Howdy damnit!

bag681 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepstein View Post
Thanks for the post - anyone aware if any special rules when traveling internationally? Headed to Brazil and want to ensure I have no issues. Thks
Give yourself more time than you'd expect. There shouldn't be anything different but it's not worth a missed flight to be unprepared
Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 AM #5
Deathscythe319

Deathscythe319 is playing at Living Legends VII
Deathscythe319 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
this is some pretty solid information, another amazing idea if someone has any other info, is coming across the border with your gear....i live right on the border of washinton and i might be going to arizona for some games but i've never left canada for PB...kind of worrid they might have problems with the tank..
Deathscythe319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM #6
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Can't really help you in regards to flying international but when I fly domestically, I'll pop the reg off my tank and I usually rubber band the TSA regs to my bottle to avoid issues if they search my bag. I've flown a bunch of times and never had any issues. I did feel quite bad for the TSA person who checked my luggage on the way back from LL last year. With the rain/mud, my clothes just reeked. They were foul. Like sauerkraut and rotten milk blended together in a hot car foul. Some guy must have gotten halfway into my bag before he just decided to call it a day.

If you're a pro you can make sure your bag weighs exactly 50lbs.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM #7
bkblitzed

Do you guys put all your gear in like camera equipment hard boxes? Know where to get one that's the correct size?
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:43 PM #8
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Heh, I remember guys throwing away their shoes and other gear after last year, because the weight of the mud and crud would have put them over 50 pounds.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 PM #9
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblitzed View Post
Do you guys put all your gear in like camera equipment hard boxes? Know where to get one that's the correct size?
I have a few gear bags that I take and I fly southwest to and from. IMO, since they offer 2 free bags, it's almost a no brainer. To protect my gear from any less honest baggage handlers, I run a bike chain and lock through the trigger guard and behind the support bars. It works. After that, the gear is replaceable should something happen.

For pods, you might consider ordering a case and having them shipped to your hotel. That's what I'm planning on doing this year to save weight, and treat them as a disposable commodity.
Wakewarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote