Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 AM #1
NickDanyl

Looking for a new barrel kit.

Hey fellow paintballers, i have been looking at new barrels/ barrel kits for my DP FX (cocker threaded of course) and was wondering which is the best bang for my buck?

I dont mind throwing out a bit of extra coin to get something REALLY nice though. At the moment im torn between

1. Smart Parts Freak Barrel Complete Kit 16" 155.00
2. Stiffi Switch Carbon Fiber Barrel Kit 16" 195.00
3. Dye Carbon Fiber 2 Piece Boomstick Barrel 160.00

Now what i like about the freak kit is that it comes with 6 bore sizes, and its cheaper then the Stiffi by about 50 bucks. However its not carbon fibre. Is Carbon fiber really that good to warrant spending an extra 50$ on it?

What i like about the stiffi is it has 4 bore sizes, and from what i've heard it even helps increase air efficiency and decrease sound output, PLUS its carbon fiber. Still though if its only a LITTLE better then the freak kit im gonna go with that, Just because it has more bore sizes. Also its not 2 piece. Is there any discernable advantage to having a 2 piece barrel, aside from the convenience factor?

And then there is the boomstick. I have heard nothing but good things about the boomstick, but it's pretty expensive for just a BARREL. Not even a barrel kit. It only comes with 1 bore size which also kinda turns me off. But like i said i have heard really good things about the Boomsticks.

So overall which one would be the best you guys think? Any other options i might/should consider?
NickDanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM #2
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDanyl View Post
Hey fellow paintballers, i have been looking at new barrels/ barrel kits for my DP FX (cocker threaded of course) and was wondering which is the best bang for my buck?

I dont mind throwing out a bit of extra coin to get something REALLY nice though. At the moment im torn between

1. Smart Parts Freak Barrel Complete Kit 16" 155.00
2. Stiffi Switch Carbon Fiber Barrel Kit 16" 195.00
3. Dye Carbon Fiber 2 Piece Boomstick Barrel 160.00

Now what i like about the freak kit is that it comes with 6 bore sizes, and its cheaper then the Stiffi by about 50 bucks. However its not carbon fibre. Is Carbon fiber really that good to warrant spending an extra 50$ on it?

What i like about the stiffi is it has 4 bore sizes, and from what i've heard it even helps increase air efficiency and decrease sound output, PLUS its carbon fiber. Still though if its only a LITTLE better then the freak kit im gonna go with that, Just because it has more bore sizes. Also its not 2 piece. Is there any discernable advantage to having a 2 piece barrel, aside from the convenience factor?

And then there is the boomstick. I have heard nothing but good things about the boomstick, but it's pretty expensive for just a BARREL. Not even a barrel kit. It only comes with 1 bore size which also kinda turns me off. But like i said i have heard really good things about the Boomsticks.

So overall which one would be the best you guys think? Any other options i might/should consider?
The freak kit will be the best performance wise out of the barrels that you listed due to the large number of control bores and the longer control bore length in comparison to the stiffi.

The stiffi barrel will obviously be lighter, however its extremely short control bores are less than ideal for optimum efficiency.

The CF boomstick is a nice barrel but it doesn't give you any bore size options so unless you know what kind of paint you want to shoot or are planning on just overboring it isn't as ideal of an option. It also costs as much as a barrel kit would but for just one barrel. I have one and like it but the price doesn't really match the performance you get.

I would also recommend looking into the Disruptive barrels and CP barrels and the deadlywind Fibur barrel.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM #3
TeamLeadersAccount

TeamLeadersAccount owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Look at the shift kit from Macdev.com very nice barrels
TeamLeadersAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 AM #4
Eudaemon87

If you like the idea of having the numerous inserts that you would get from a freak kit but really like the carbon fiber one piece feel of the stiffi you could always get a deadlywind with a freak kit. That way you get the best of both worlds.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM #5
border411
AllGaveSome,SomeGaveAll

border411 supports Pev's Paintball
border411 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I bought a complete CP kit off of here ($160 shipped but it came with EVERY barrel back and tip they EVER made), then sold the tips and one back I knew I would never need. The kit after those parts sold was around $80. Best barrel kit I ever used.
How To Make Custom Lexan Grips
border411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM #6
bulldogs58

bulldogs58 is playing at Living Legends V
bulldogs58 is for the Gunfight
bulldogs58 is for the Gunfight
bulldogs58 posts videos on PbNation
bulldogs58 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
you can pick up a used empire kit pretty cheap on the forum
bulldogs58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM #7
krupasjeans
happy day

J&J makes nice barrels.

You can get a kit with all the backs you need for a hundred on eBay. Save you some scratch and you'd be getting a kit you know hasn't been scratched.

J&J Autococker Edge kit
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM #8
border411
AllGaveSome,SomeGaveAll

border411 supports Pev's Paintball
border411 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I had that exact Edge kit. LOVED IT, but wanted to try something new. By the way, if you get a J&J kit make sure it comes with the new smaller bore (.678 or .682 I think). A lot are on the market with the bigger bore sizes, and paint is getting smaller. Some paint rolled out of my kit. A bore back costs $45 directly from J&J.
How To Make Custom Lexan Grips
border411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM #9
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Id look at the deadlywinds, amazingly light and the inserts make it one of the best out there. I use the freak a lot too just because I like the option of different tip lengths. The good thing about the freak is you can swap the inserts between several different barrels that will accept them, I have one set that I can use on 3 guns.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 AM #10
Paper-Cut (Banned)

Paper-Cut has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
People still use kits?
Paper-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM #11
xgreyfox

Annual Supporting Member
xgreyfox owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xgreyfox owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
xgreyfox supports Team VICIOUS
xgreyfox has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xgreyfox has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I can't shoot over an .85 ...

Anyway disruptive products is the way to go
Can get a whole kit for 180 2 tips and 4 backs extra backs are availiable for 35 bucks each, ive used the balanced barrel and imo they are one of the best and quitest barrels in the market, their new deathtouch is supposed to be even quiterand as light as a carbon fiber barrel, but with the strenth of alumminum and a whole 8" control bore. Only planet eclipse shaft 4 has a longer bore at 8.5"
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM #12
jtguy2269
PL gun collector

has been a member for 10 years
Deadlywind with the freak insert kit is my personal favorite
followed by J&J edge kit
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM #13
Killer Carton
Give'm Welts

Annual Supporting Member
Killer Carton has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Killer Carton has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Freaks always a good choice and you can get carbon fiber versions (DW and Super Freak).

Stiffi has never really impressed me and the Dye barrels are WAY overpriced and overrated IMO.

Shift Kits from MacDev and Disruptive kits are really nice as stated above.
Killer Carton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM #14
xgreyfox

Annual Supporting Member
xgreyfox owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xgreyfox owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
xgreyfox has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xgreyfox has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bang for buck is the freak kit/ dw if you want the carbon fiber comes with everythkng you would need

But a longer control bore = tighter grouping more accuracy .... truth be told aslong as your barrel matching acc isnt that diffrent between barrels anyway in that case the dP barrels at 50 bucks for a whole barrel cant be beat, there is a 9"bore barrel somewhere just dont remember who makes it...
But dp has sound sig/weight/honning/and barrel tip milling on its side, try to tape any other barrel for rain play and still get use out of its porting youll be hard pressed
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM #15
Dominic88

got a sly cf barrel kit 16 tip and 4 backs
Dominic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM #16
TheJakeWade

TheJakeWade has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TheJakeWade has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd go with the freak barrel kit. Nice barrel kit, my favorite, and still leaves you with more money for paint than the other ones do. Also look around and try to get one BNIB or almost new, you'd be surprised how cheap you can get them
TheJakeWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM #17
methodsushi

Dye carbon fiber is the lightest so if u want to go light weight get that. The freak kit is light too and is a lot easier to switch out boring sizes. I say get the freak kit
methodsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM #18
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodsushi View Post
Dye carbon fiber is the lightest so if u want to go light weight get that. The freak kit is light too and is a lot easier to switch out boring sizes. I say get the freak kit
Freak kits are actually in my opinion really heavy.