PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM #1
myownmarkers

Need help designing/building my first marker

Hello,

My name is Nolie I'm 13 and designing my first marker in AutoCad.
first things first,

1. We are getting a Hurco 3 axis CNC mill in the next 2 weeks.

2. I have enough experience in AutoCad to design one I just don't know what to design(the guts of the marker)

3. I want to build a marker as my first project.

4. The marker that I'm building NEEDS to be simple.

5. What type or marker should I use?

6. Absolutely anything helps. Please tell me if you need any information.

Thank you
Nolie
myownmarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM #2
thermodynamics

thermodynamics has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
thermodynamics has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
thermodynamics has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Check out zdspb.com > tech info > marker animations.

It has the inner workings of several different styles and types of guns. surf through those and find one you would like to replicate.
thermodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 AM #3
y0da900
Nerdivore

A lathe will be just as, if not more, important as a mill.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 AM #4
pbjosh
In February -

pbjosh is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
pbjosh works for a Paintball manufacturer
Before getting more machine tools and building a marker:

Get a paintball gun, any paintball gun, and make ALL the parts in AutoCAD. Then do another, different gun. Get a broken gun and fix it. Fix allot of guns. Get a gun or 3 that you can tinker with and not care about.

See, even if I handed you design to build a gun and all the tools, you need to know how to tune it. You could build everything to spec, but then you still would need to know how it works, need to know how the o-ring is suppose to feel when the parts go together, need to be familiar with the screws and action and weights.

After that, to build a gun, even from plans, means you need to understand the o-ring crush limits, the dimension of an air chamber, the tolerance of a bolt to breech fit. You need to know why parts are sized the way they are, or at least know what dictates the sizes of parts (often it is ANSI o-ring sizes.)

Then you need to weight hammers (if you use them) understand the operation of a solenoid and bolt, be able to tune a gun and figure out why it is leaking.

There are a tons a variables, and you need to feel comfortable knowing which is which.

So, I would get a paintball gun, even just a spyder, and build parts for it. New bolt, new hammer, new valve. Machine the body, make it lighter, polish up a few bits.

I would give this advice to anybody of any age - unless you have allot of experience teching paintball guns and allot of experience machining then starting right out and building a gun is going to be very frustrating. But designing parts, testing them, looking at variables, finding out what fits and what feels right will go a long way to setting you up to begin to build your own.

And I say this as a guy who has 8 prototypes of a gun in my garage, over 30 guns and years of CAD work.

That being said, simple is better. But you need to understand what the different guns are, what makes them simple to machine and simple to build. Just having random strangers on the internets dictating what gun to build means you are not ready yet to build a gun. When you have the experience you need to go forward, you will have a gun in mind.

Colin @ Deadly wind: “We need to stay away from each other. You scare me.”

Owner of Patent #7610907: Paintball marker action assembly
pbjosh is offline   Reply With Quote