Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 PM #1996
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post

Incorrect. 40 to 1 is leaner than 32 to 1. On a 2 stroke when it runs rich it's because it has too much oil, and the oily gas saturates the spark plug. 32 to 1 would be 4 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas. 40 to 1 would be 3.20 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas.

I learned the little that I know from a guy who raced motocross for longer than you and i have been alive combined. Oil burns hotter than gas and therefore actually helps to keep from fouling the plug. More oil = less fouled plugs. Counter intuitive and probably goes against the status quo, but it works.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM #1997
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Man right now the only thing the 250 has on your bikes is cheap and longer lasting tires! I get between 50-55 on the usual. But the unusual thing is, I still get between 50-55 if I hit the twisties. The most I've ever gotten is 61, and the least I've ever gotten is 41.
I was getting about 65 mpg on average on my 07 Ninja 250. But once when I was trying to see how high it would go, I rode it really easy and hit 79 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
Just picked up this little guy. I was looking for something to use for short runs in to town. I did the math and with my truck I loose about 1/2 a tank a week to these 6 mile runs. So I figure if I loose about 50 dollars a week in diesel I can fill the whole bike up a ton of times for that.

2007 Kawasaki ninja 250. I know its small I'm not a novice rider by any means (been riding dirt bikes since I was 8 and 25 now) didn't need a 600 or bigger. I might do one later but for now I'm happy with it.

That bike looks almost exactly like my last bike. It was a blue 07 Ninja 250 and I removed the flames as well. I have 2 suggestions for you.

1. Get better tires. Those are the tires that came on that bike and they SUCK. You won't believe how much better tires will change the way that bike rides. I went with Bridgestone Battlax BT45s.

2. Once you're comfy with the bike, replace the stock throttle body with an R6 throttle body. With the stock throttle body you can't go wide open throttle (WOT) with one twist of the wrist. You have to twist it, re-grip it, and then twist again. With the R6 throttle body, one full twist is WOT. While it doesn't actually make the bike any faster, it makes the throttle more responsive which makes it quicker.

And one of the coolest things about the old Ninja 250s is that they have a great online community. Check out the 250 Riders Club at
http://forums.ninja250.org/

The Technical and Repair section there has anything you ever wanted to know about that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyePaintballer2k11 View Post
I was told that bike insurance has little to do with age and gender, but rather on what type of bike is getting insured. How much truth is there to that?
That's not true. At 37 I had full coverage on a Ninja 250 and paid $300 a year. Full coverage for my 18 year old brother on a Ninja 250 is $99 a month.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM #1998
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
I learned the little that I know from a guy who raced motocross for longer than you and i have been alive combined. Oil burns hotter than gas and therefore actually helps to keep from fouling the plug. More oil = less fouled plugs. Counter intuitive and probably goes against the status quo, but it works.
I'm willing to bet you've never even see what a fouled 2 stroke plug looks like. It's saturated in oily gas. That is what fouls it. More oil, the leaner the mixture of gas and oil, meaning the plug will foul easier due to more oil soaking it. It's opposite of a 4 stroke. Why do you think a 2 stroke when running 32 to 1 fouls plugs easier than a mixture of 40 to 1? Why do you think a 2 stroke has splooge running out of the silencer on a mixture of 32 to 1 on a 70* day? Your friend is wrong.

My father, uncle, and my experience racing motocross combined is over 100 years, and we have the trophies to prove it. You've never even done it, so what do you know?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 PM #1999
iRoNiQ

I like when you guys argue. I enjoy things like that.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:28 PM #2000
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoNiQ View Post
I like when you guys argue. I enjoy things like that.
Does it turn you on?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 AM #2001
adgergewh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
2. Once you're comfy with the bike, replace the stock throttle body with an R6 throttle body. With the stock throttle body you can't go wide open throttle (WOT) with one twist of the wrist. You have to twist it, re-grip it, and then twist again. With the R6 throttle body, one full twist is WOT. While it doesn't actually make the bike any faster, it makes the throttle more responsive which makes it quicker.
I think you mean throttle tube, not throttle body, I could be wrong though.

Also FWIW I pay $19/month for everything except for bodily damage (rejected by insurance obviously) on my 02 Monster. For my 04 ninja 250 I paid $30 a month for equal coverage.

edit: i'm not making the new thread
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM #2002
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Yeah, throttle tube.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 AM #2003
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
I'm willing to bet you've never even see what a fouled 2 stroke plug looks like.
Right because I've never owned any 2 stroke motorcycles or anything...

You have it backwards. Oil isn't what fouls the plug. Gas it. A leaner (less gas more oil) mixture will burn hotter and burn the mixture off more completely.

Do some research and you'll find this is well known fact.
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik...ios-20502.html
http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/oilpremix.pdf
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 AM #2004
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Yes, that's why at 32:1 splooge will run out of your exhaust even at moderate spring temperatures. It's too lean, there is too much oil, and the oil fouls your plugs. It has not a thing to do with horsepower. 40:1 has been the stand by for years by many racers. It is the perfect balance between oil and gas so your plugs aren't fouled.

Every fouled plug I have pulled out of a bike has been on break in with 32:1 ratio, and it was oil fouled like your typical spark plug. I don't care what the article's say. Instead of writing about it, they should get out there on a sunday and ride and find out the truth that 32:1 is too lean and should only be used in break in sessions.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 AM #2005
greaseball
CZ master race

i thought 40:1 was lean and 32:1 was rich?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 AM #2006
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Clearly those guys have never gotten out there on a sunday and ridden. They don't know what they're talking about.

Doesn't sound like you read either article completely because you didn't get the main idea of either.

Saying 40:1 or any other ratio is some magical "perfect balance" is completely retarded. I don't have to know much about anything to know that. Every bike is different.

Last edited by UglyDuckGizmo : 03-18-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 AM #2007
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Shhh, no tears now; only dreams.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 AM #2008
greaseball
CZ master race

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseball View Post
i thought 40:1 was lean and 32:1 was rich?
so? also biker boyz is hilarious
Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 AM #2009
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3775066
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.
Closed Thread