PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 AM #1093
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
My point is the r6 is a race bike with headlights. Same as any other supersport. You said you won't be racing so why do you need a race bike to commute on? I ride a supersport every day and I can tell you it definitely gets old after a while. I'll still own one for the track, but I'd take something with an upright seating position and more low end grunt for a DD any day. You're not going to use "all of what it is" on any bike on the street. Also why would you need to sink money into upgrades on an aprilia, or anything else really?

There are plenty of sporty options that will give you more than enough bike to have fun with but won't be race purposed. If I had a basically unlimited budget to use towards a bike I'd be riding everyday I' consider any of these: Aprilia Tuono, Ducati 848 streetfighter, Triumph Speed Triple, Kawi z1000, Yamaha FZ1, Honda CB1000R, KTM super duke, MV Augusta Brutale 920.
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM #1094
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
My point is the r6 is a race bike with headlights. Same as any other supersport. You said you won't be racing so why do you need a race bike to commute on? I ride a supersport every day and I can tell you it definitely gets old after a while. I'll still own one for the track, but I'd take something with an upright seating position and more low end grunt for a DD any day. You're not going to use "all of what it is" on any bike on the street. Also why would you need to sink money into upgrades on an aprilia, or anything else really?

There are plenty of sporty options that will give you more than enough bike to have fun with but won't be race purposed. If I had a basically unlimited budget to use towards a bike I'd be riding everyday I' consider any of these: Aprilia Tuono, Ducati 848 streetfighter, Triumph Speed Triple, Kawi z1000, Yamaha FZ1, Honda CB1000R, KTM super duke, MV Augusta Brutale 920.

That is more helpful, thanks.

Now, price wise, of those you suggested what is close to the price of the R6? I know it sounds odd given what I can spend but again, don't spend what I don't have to. The Z1000, FZ1, or CB1000R are probably the cheapest, right?
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM #1095
zoink
cats cats cats

cb1000r you will have a hard time finding used, they're only importing a limited amount so far.

z1000 and fz1 you can find used relatively easy and yes they'll be similar in price to the r6. New they're usually just a bit cheaper. Insurance will be much cheaper as well on these types of bikes.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM #1096
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
Yet you suggest liter bikes?

Because those bikes are standards. Their motors are much more detuned than your average 1000CC I4. The power they put out is akin to an I4 600 with more torque and a lot easier to ride, and much more comfortable. They're made for riding on the street, around town, down the highway, across the country, and on the track.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM #1097
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is Immortal
Makes sense. What won't an FZ1 do that the R6 will?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM #1098
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Quote:
Makes sense. What won't an FZ1 do that the R6 will?
Well, I'm sure the R6 would turn faster and probably handle a little better due to being a high performance motorcycle, but nothing you would ever utilize in a street riding situation. I know a guy who has 90,000 miles on his FZ1 and rides it everyday, including track days I do believe.

They say riding 1 track day is akin to 5-10 years of street riding. What ever you get, I would definitely suggest doing some track days.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM #1099
iRoNiQ

Quote:
Yet you suggest liter bikes?

So really 2006+ gives me the most bang for my buck based on the current Yamaha line.

Now, priced the same what do the other makers offer used that is comparable or better? I understand that in stock form, for my purposes, there will be little difference, correct?
What he was suggesting was that you buy something a bit more street-oriented. There will be little difference but it's personal preference. I always wanted to try all of the big 4 (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda) before I kept one for any period of time but that is just how I am. They all ride differently and have different features.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM #1100
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is Immortal
I will be riding on the track, but not allowing track riding to dictate the bulk of my riding, if that makes sense.

Now another twist. I had a Victory Hammer S for a bit and hated it in the turns, wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. Will the FZ1 become that too? I have no issues getting the R6 over the FZ1 if time on the FZ1 would have me wanting the R6 more.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM #1101
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoNiQ View Post
What he was suggesting was that you buy something a bit more street-oriented. There will be little difference but it's personal preference. I always wanted to try all of the big 4 (Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda) before I kept one for any period of time but that is just how I am. They all ride differently and have different features.
I was taking hit suggestion a bit differently. Never knew much of those liter bikes, I assumed they were more akin to the R1. I also suspected a bit of "go buy a 125cc street bike first, son" rather than honest suggestions.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM #1102
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

The FZ1 puts out a little more horsepower than the R6 but doesn't have to be ridden in a gear low like an R6 would be, so you'd enjoy one much more, not to mention the comfort.

The FZ1 will make the Victory Hammer feel like a dog turd. I LOVE the victory hammer but with that big 250mm rear tire and long wheel base, it's best suited to the same stuff my bike is suited for... straight lines and corners at very low speeds. I'm sure you could drop knee on an FZ1 pretty easy.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM #1103
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is Immortal
The Hammer was not bad going straight but I had to fight the hell out of it to make it turn. Fat rear tire wanted to stand straight up.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 AM #1104
zoink
cats cats cats

Win any 600cc races? I think you're thinking about it wrong...the rider makes the bike do stuff. The bike is rarely the limiting factor.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM #1105
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

I feel ya. My bike has a 200 in the rear and a 150 up front, plus with 125 cubic inch motor in the frame it doesn't like turns at all.... but man does it ride good in a straight line, lol. I have taken it on some of the few twisty roads we have around here and it does ok. I have more fun enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells than going fast.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM #1106
iRoNiQ

Quote:
I was taking hit suggestion a bit differently. Never knew much of those liter bikes, I assumed they were more akin to the R1. I also suspected a bit of "go buy a 125cc street bike first, son" rather than honest suggestions.
That's usually what it is but most people come in and say "um i want motor bike im 16 and want to go fast look cool pick up girls run from cops is the gsxr 750 a good starter bike 4 me"
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM #1107
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
Win any 600cc races? I think you're thinking about it wrong...the rider makes the bike do stuff. The bike is rarely the limiting factor.
This I understand. Is one easier to ride than the other. If my goal was The Tail of the Dragon is one better than the other to the point that it would be worth buying a different one?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM #1108
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You'll be a million times happier with the FZ-1. Upright, comfortable, long distance and travel worthy, handles well and has a buttload of power.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM #1109
tmanbuckhunter
This Title is Red

Any of the modern standards (Z1000, Ninja 1000, CB1000f, Fz8 etc...) will ride a lot better than an R6 on the street. Comfort, and power are all there in a nice package.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM #1110
binaryterror
Static?

binaryterror is a Supporting Member
man for 25k i would buy a rsv4 factory for sure.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 AM #1111
zoink
cats cats cats

Quote:
This I understand. Is one easier to ride than the other. If my goal was The Tail of the Dragon is one better than the other to the point that it would be worth buying a different one?
No, you'll have fun either way.

The fz1 is still a sportibke. It's just got features that make it more oriented towards street riding. Supersport bikes just have features that make them more track oriented.

Here's a dude on an fz1 at a trackday tearing it up.

According to the title t's actually ken hill and he'll likely be faster on that bike then you will on any bike...but still, you can see the fz1 is a perfectly capable bike.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM #1112
xXinpayneXx
MW

Just put a new shock and upgrade the forks a little bit and it will handle anything just fine. Its the same frame s the t- the only bad thing is the suspension is better on the t- fix that and it will handle fine. A guy I used to ride with ripped on one.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM #1113
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Finally got a new bike

However bike is still older than I am
My dad has an '84 1000 in the garage, pretty sweet bikes. I definitely wouldn't put it on the grass though without at least a piece of plywood.

Last edited by Worr, the wee tot. : 02-26-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Closed Thread