Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 PM #1
Damien - PSP Events

Damien - PSP Events works for a Paintball manufacturer
Damien - PSP Events plays in the PSP
Damien - PSP Events has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Damien - PSP Events has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Damien - PSP Events has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
New 2014 PSP Rulebook - Updated

The 2014 PSP Rulebook is now available on the PSP website.

Below is a quick reference guide.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions:
Paul@pspevents.com
Marcus@pspevents.com

RULE CHANGES & ADDITIONS FOR 2014

The following list covers the majority of the changes or additions for 2014. In reviewing the complete rulebook you will discover some additional changes or altered language the majority of which has brought the rulebook into alignment with practices and procedures already in use on the field during events. Feel free to post up any questions related to these changes or any other rulebook-related questions and we'll do our best to answer them all in a timely fashion.

(Applies to RaceTo-7 only) In 4.2.6.2. the eliminated player [28] refers to the formerly 'active player' pulled as the result of a penalty who is sent to the box to serve the penalty time.
Recent practice was to put the player committing the penalty in the box. This changes to putting the player pulled as result of penalty into the box.

(Applies to RaceTo-7 only) In 4.2.6.10.4.1. the Breakout Exception is applied to exiting the penalty box.
With the changes to the “penalty box” this addition simply provides rules for the altered circumstances.

In 5.1. The second layer is a short sleeved T-shirt or similar
The only change here is the removal of a long-sleeved T-shirt option. Otherwise the rule is unchanged from 2013.

In 5.1.14. A general uniform standard is given for tucking in player jersey. The purpose is to avoid different individual field standards impacting play of the game.

In 5.7.9. Velocity adjusting tool(s) are allowed on the field and/or in a player's possession.
In order to simplify and speed up the on-field chrono'ing process to tools will be allowed on field however there is also a penalty for even the display of such a tool during the play of the game by a live ('active') player.

New Section 5.6. ennumerates ROF including the new limit of 10.2 bps applied to the Pro division.
Nothing new except for the ROF change for the pro division.

In 6.3.2. Players must be chrono'ed prior to point start. Failure to be chrono'ed will result in immediate elimination upon point start.
The referee closest to each pit entrance to the field will chrono the players leaving that pit.

(Applies to RaceTo-7 only) Details of Section 7.2 and 7.3. related to Pro ranking and promotion & relegation are subject to change before the end of the 2014 season.
As written the rules are considered a proposal for the 2015 season where they don't comport with current practices. Some features may take effect toward the end of this season as would be necessary to implement all the changes for 2015.

(Applies to RaceTo-7 only) New rules govern pro rosters in Section 8.3.
The new rules essentially lock pro rosters just prior to the final training push for each event until that event is over.

(Applies to RaceTo-7 only) In 8.4.3.3. defines a pro roster at season's end as the top 2 D1 teams and the top 18 teams in the pro division.
The definition is included to help players and teams understand the classification implications of promotion & relegation.

The no talking rule for eliminated players is being replaced in 9.1.1. & 9.1.1.1. with an interference rule that provides a minor penalty for distracting or impeding a referee during the play of the game. Players are still limited to saying “hit” or “out” in response to being eliminated.
Due to the fact the 'no talking' rule was enforced inconsistently it is being replaced with this interference rule. The new rule provides more official flexibility in dealing with players across all divisions of competition but it is not a free pass to keep talking with, arguing with or debating a call or situation with a referee.

Last edited by Damien - PSP Events : 03-01-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Damien - PSP Events is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM #2
AustinHembo
`~`

Annual Supporting Member
AustinHembo plays in the PSP
AustinHembo is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AustinHembo plays in the APPA D4 division
"Recent practice was to put the player committing the penalty in the box. This changes to putting the player pulled as result of penalty into the box."

Can you explain the reasoning behind this change? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 PM #3
CPT@sales
Trades Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinHembo View Post
"Recent practice was to put the player committing the penalty in the box. This changes to putting the player pulled as result of penalty into the box."

Interesting, this new rule might start a few fights on the team lol.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM #4
empirejr

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Does not make sense.
Aaron Tholey Fan Club #1
empirejr's feedback!
empirejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 PM #5
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is BST Legit
 plays in the NXL
John donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:

I like that. In the past, a player that got caught breaking the rules could potentially come out of the box during the same point he was caught (if the point went on :30 past when he got into the box). I always hated that. Basically he got a second life. This fixes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT@sales View Post
Interesting, this new rule might start a few fights on the team lol.
That will certainly draw attention to the players getting penalties. If I have to sit in the box because you got caught playing on, I won't be happy with you at all.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 PM #6
AustinHembo
`~`

Annual Supporting Member
AustinHembo plays in the PSP
AustinHembo is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AustinHembo plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I like that. In the past, a player that got caught breaking the rules could potentially come out of the box during the same point he was caught (if the point went on :30 past when he got into the box). I always hated that. Basically he got a second life. This fixes that.

That will certainly draw attention to the players getting penalties. If I have to sit in the box because you got caught playing on, I won't be happy with you at all.
Ok, I can see what you mean. Being banned from entering that point again is a little more congruent with justice.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 PM #7
CPT@sales
Trades Welcome

Quote:
Ok, I can see what you mean. Being banned from entering that point again is a little more congruent with justice.
Putting a teammate in the penalty box would feel pretty bad.

#PSPGuiltTrip2014
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM #8
RORplayer44
still a joke

RORplayer44 is a Supporting Member
RORplayer44 plays in the PSP
RORplayer44 plays in the MiLP
RORplayer44 plays in the APPA D4 division
We want halves.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM #9
BP0019
Hooligans Paintball

BP0019 plays in the APPA D4 division
BP0019 supports Empire
BP0019 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
"Recent practice was to put the player committing the penalty in the box. This changes to putting the player pulled as result of penalty into the box."!
I like this. I never understood why the person who committed the penalty was put in the box because in most cases a penalty is thrown on a player who is hit and plays on. That player should be eliminated and the player pulled should be put in the box because he isn't actually "eliminated" therefore allowed to possibly re enter the game. Nice.
Vypr GSL #658
BP0019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM #10
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is BST Legit
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RORplayer44 View Post
We want halves.
There are two real issues with halves. It costs more. It takes more time.

PSP runs on a tight schedule and halves might mean an extra day (unless the halves were real short).

Plus, more points played means more paint used. Who is going to pay for that?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:00 PM #11
kp2com
I am who I am

Annual Supporting Member
kp2com plays in the PSP
kp2com plays in the MiLP
Quote:
this very thing happened at cup. Player got minor penalty, went to box. Time ran out on penalty player then came out playing and got another minor. Had the point lasted much longer the player could have come out a third time. With putting an active player in the box you eliminate reincarnations.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM #12
RORplayer44
still a joke

RORplayer44 is a Supporting Member
RORplayer44 plays in the PSP
RORplayer44 plays in the MiLP
RORplayer44 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
There are two real issues with halves. It costs more. It takes more time.

PSP runs on a tight schedule and halves might mean an extra day (unless the halves were real short).

Maybe not for divisional but why not pro? I do not know what a match is allocated time wise. 15 20 min halves don't sound so unreasonable. Throw some stats at me
Old 03-01-2014, 02:13 PM #13
Splatkid10

Meh, you break the rules you do the time! Same as hockey.

So did they relax talking after you're hit? Or does it mean if I go man ref thats a BS call they can't throw a minor? So confusing, and I can guarantee the younger divisional refs will botch that one nicely.
Splatkid10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:16 PM #14
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
It takes more time...
How will it take longer? Pro matches are already 20 minutes max. Wouldn't 2 10 minute halves work okay? That would work out to be 30.6 cases of paint per match if all 5 guns were firing 10.2bps the entire time of regulation. That equates to about 16 minutes of continuous shooting at the 2013 rate of fire.

As far as more paint used... go Limited paint. How? As the ref chronos he ensures the hopper is empty (save for the feed neck). Each player brings on 5 standard pods and is checked by the chrono ref. Before the point starts players can move paint to players they choose.

Now laning is a matter of strategy instead of who can sit and shoot the most; sit and lane 9 out 10 pods or sit and lane 4 out 5 pods? Perhaps you should just move and get a better angle instead of hoping for a luck shot.

"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot

Last edited by soccerguy243 : 03-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 PM #15
turmoil
that's the bottom line

Annual Supporting Member
turmoil is a Paintball photographer
turmoil plays in the APPA D4 division
turmoil is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien - PSP Events View Post

In 5.1.14. A general uniform standard is given for tucking in player jersey. The purpose is to avoid different individual field standards impacting play of the game.

The no talking rule for eliminated players is being replaced in 9.1.1. & 9.1.1.1. with an interference rule that provides a minor penalty for distracting or impeding a referee during the play of the game. Players are still limited to saying “hit” or “out” in response to being eliminated.
Due to the fact the 'no talking' rule was enforced inconsistently it is being replaced with this interference rule. The new rule provides more official flexibility in dealing with players across all divisions of competition but it is not a free pass to keep talking with, arguing with or debating a call or situation with a referee.
Looks like everyone has to start tucking in their jerseys now

I'll be curious to see how often 9.1.1 and 9.1.1.1 get enforced. I like the rule change though.
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM #16
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is BST Legit
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RORplayer44 View Post
Maybe not for divisional but why not pro? I do not know what a match is allocated time wise. 15 20 min halves don't sound so unreasonable. Throw some stats at me
There is just one Pro Champions field and one set of refs. You are asking for that field to run even longer than it does. Often the early and late games already have to deal with a rising or setting sun.

If you would like halves for everyone, be prepared for a 100-120 team limit.

Or the PSP can go back to the old way they did it which is double-elimination. That would mean you can be eliminated in 2 matches and/or have 4-5 matches back-to-back on Sunday. Back the old way, I was eliminated once just by Dynasty. We beat everyone else but lost to Dynasty twice and went home. We didn't even make the finals.

Teams would also shoot ~160 cases if you have to go through the losers bracket. There's a reason the only teams pushing halves are the ones with the best financing. If you think the top teams have an advantage now, that would be an extreme advantage for the better funded teams. It would seriously limit the chances of upstart and underdog teams from winning.

And I don't know of any paint company that is volunteering to pay for the extra paint that would be needed.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:26 PM #17
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is BST Legit
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy243 View Post
How will it take longer? Pro matches are already 20 minutes max. Wouldn't 2 10 minute halves work okay?
No, right now the PSP counts on most games not going to time to finish the tournament on time. Any division that goes to halves either loses a third of their clock time or has to pay 50% more entry (and paint)...
Old 03-01-2014, 02:37 PM #18
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatkid10 View Post
Meh, you break the rules you do the time! Same as hockey.

So did they relax talking after you're hit? Or does it mean if I go man ref thats a BS call they can't throw a minor?
No. This rule is specifically warning against that type of behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP Rulebook
9.1. Interference and Sportsmanship
9.1.1. Any person who distracts or impedes the referee in the performance of his duties may be
subject to a minor penalty.
9.1.1.1. Distracting or impeding is determined by the referee and includes but is not limited to a refusal
to leave the field when eliminated, engaging the referee in dialogue after elimination, etc.
Plain english:

9.1.1 - Refuse to cooperate, receive penalty.
9.1.1.1 - Grounds for penalty include refusing to get off the field, arguing the call before the point has ended, or other defiant, disruptive behavior.

tl;dr - Do what the ref tells you or accept a penalty if you don't.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:40 PM #19
Paper_or_Plastic

Paper_or_Plastic plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Paper_or_Plastic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paper_or_Plastic supports Empire
In theory halves sound great but like John is pointing out it is just beyond what the PSP is capable of. One day if paintball transitions into a more traditional sport with teams playing a hockey like schedule for example (82 games over many months) then I think a Halves format is definitely the better option. Literally not possible right now, not only more point but 10 players minimum is absolutely required almost. If your playing that many points in such a short time guys are just going to get flat out exhausted.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:53 PM #20
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
No, right now the PSP counts on most games not going to time to finish the tournament on time.
It's not just the amount of time spent playing the game, but also the amount of time spent on timeouts between points. So, a 7-2 blowout might use 14 minutes of game time and 18 minutes of timeout time, maybe one team calls a timeout so that's 34 minutes of real time, plus 5 minutes between matches, so you're at 39 minutes total for that match. A tight 6-5 match uses all 20 minutes of clock time plus 22 minutes of timeout time plus 4 minutes of team timeout time plus the 5 minutes between matches and now you're at 51 minutes. And god forbid there's overtime...

Now take away the point cap, and that 7-2 match becomes a 10-3 match, and instead of taking 39 minutes takes 47 minutes.

And the impact is greater than that, because under the current rules, a team winning a blowout wants to get to 7 points while giving up as few points as possible. (7-1 is better than 7-2) If you take away the point cap, a team winning the blowout wants to win as many points as they can, even if they lose a couple along the way. (8-2 is better than 7-1.) Or if you have a really big blowout, 13-2 is much MUCH better than 7-1... and teams HAVE to rack up as many points as they can because margin is the first tiebreaker. A match like that you're spending a full half hour on point timeouts alone!

End result is, it's not possible to "just play halves" - that change requires other changes, whether that be a big reduction in clock time, smaller reduction in clock time coupled with reduction in prelim matches, or higher entry fees/paint costs per team and lower team limits. So if you say you want halves, you also need to pick which one of those other things you want too.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 03-01-2014 at 02:59 PM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:04 PM #21
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
a change in points should do it no? Wins ties and loss are the goal... not individual match points. Group play instead of round robin?

Are these possible compromises?

"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.