Pando

Pando works for a Paintball manufacturer
Pando plays in the PSP
Pando posts videos on PbNation
Pando is an NCPA player
PSP Raises "True Semi" Rate of Fire to 13.33 BPS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

PSP Raises True Semi ROF Cap to 13.33 BPS

Lawrenceville, Georgia – February 3rd, 2015 - After months of technical development, a collective of paintball industry engineers launched a beta version of a unique new firing mode for professional paintball players, “True Semi”, designed to showcase the true talent of the PSP’s incredible athletes. Originally released with a semi-automatic 12.5 BPS cap, PSP pro players around the world tested True Semi and provided amazing feedback, all of which was taken into account and analyzed in great detail. Today the PSP team has decided to raise the True Semi ROF cap to 13.33 BPS for the 2015 season.

The PSP launched True Semi to bring the skill of shooting a paintball gun back to the sport of professional paintball. True Semi creates a more competitive environment, where getting G’s becomes even more of an art form than it is today. True Semi adds another layer of difficulty to the game of paintball that correlates with the PSP’s core values of providing the highest level of competitive tournament paintball in the world.

How True Semi Works:
At the 12.5 BPS cap, there was a mandatory 80-millisecond delay enforced between every trigger pull. With our new 13.33 BPS cap, there is now only a 75 millisecond delay.

In simple terms, if you shoot TOO FAST (pull the trigger twice before the 75-millisecond delay) the second trigger pull will not register. If you pull the trigger at or above the 75-millisecond delay, your gun will fire twice. This delay between trigger pulls, exclusive to True Semi, eliminates the possibility of trigger bounce. As long as a player using True Semi shoots at or below the balls per second cap, the gun will shoot perfect streams at 10, 11, 12+ balls per second.

The PSP is excited to see the best paintball athletes in the world competing with this new True Semi firing mode. With field layouts now being released just one day before an event, and the added skills required to excel with True Semi, we believe the best players and teams will now be even more exciting to watch in 2015.

Last edited by Pando : 02-03-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Pando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 PM #2
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is BST Legit
 plays in the NXL
John donated to help Peyton Trent
Added it to the big thread in the PSP forum here too:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4582745
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:34 PM #3
BatmanLiera

Would it be too hard to just be 10bps or 12 bps semi?
I guess I am asking how do pros cheat with regular semi?

Also how can regular semi be cheated or hacked and true semi not be cheated or hacked??
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 PM #4
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 plays in the APPA beginner division
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Why not 15? If its REAL semi, 15 would be great.

a 5ms difference seems like it would be negligible. How should I know though, my boards bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanLiera View Post

Also how can regular semi be cheated or hacked and true semi not be cheated or hacked??
Most guns bounce a little, even if it is controllable. I prefer a little bounce with my semi. I shoot semi during practice and it helps keep the lane a bit more steady. They want to filter out 100% of the bounce so it is true semi, hence the name. The board makers will simply design the software to not allow any bounce.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 PM #5
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
4leaf4life posts videos on PbNation
Need to get my board flashed again...
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 PM #6
gunhero5
High Fives & Good Vibes

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 is BST Legit
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal

OG Supporting Member | Hopelessly Stuck In 2003 | 1TIM6:12
"Quit smiling, you're suppose to be professional." - RR
gunhero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 PM #7
ferg man 5000
Amature Gynecologist

I really hate this .333 and such. Why not make it 13, or just a whole number? Flashing boards must get old year after year. I don't play PSP so I can't complain personally but reflashing every year would blow.

Last edited by ferg man 5000 : 02-03-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct
ferg man 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 PM #8
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is BST Trusted
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VII
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VIII
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg man 5000 View Post
I really hate this .333 and such. Why not make it 13, or just a whole number? Flashing boards must get old year after year. I don't play PSP so I can't complain personally but reflashing every year would blow.
It's only Pro players that are limited to this, the percentage of people that play PSP and are subject to these changes compared to those who aren't (divisional) is small.

PbNation: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

DAB Photo: Instagram | Facebook
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 PM #9
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanLiera View Post
That's a good question.

So when you trip an electric switch it's not really a simple off, then on, then off when you let go. There's a bit of "noise" when you trip the switch. Literally tiny lightning bolts zapping back and forth. So it's more of an off, then on-off-on-off-on-off-on, then off when you let go. It happens really quickly, in mere milliseconds, so it's not something you'd notice if it was just turning on an light.

But a circuit board can detect those quick offs and ons, unless it deliberately filters them out. That's what that "debounce" setting is on boards, a setting to wait a certain amount of time after that first switch activation before registering the next. But if you set that debounce setting too low the board may register two or three switch activations for each trigger pull. And three shots for one trigger pull isn't semi auto.

There are other ways a trigger can bounce, such as mechanically, were the slight recoil of the gun combined with an extremely light trigger pull can make the trigger swing back and forth like a pendulum with little or no actual pulling being done by the shooter. That's more an issue with cheaper guns though, which tend to have more recoil.

This new mode (which is actually identical to the semi auto mode of very old electros), basically has a really long debounce filter. Wait for trigger signal, fire, wait 75 ms, wait for next trigger signal.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 PM #10
joshmanore

joshmanore plays in the PSP
Maybe I'm completely crazy, but there seems to be a simple solution to the issue the pros are all having with true semi. You're being penalized for your gun bouncing with true semi. You aren't really shooting over 12 bps, you're getting help from the gun bouncing. So crank up your debounce, add a tensioner spring, adjust your trigger to stiffen it so it doesn't rebound from the shot's recoil. Seems like that should solve everything...Has anyone really taken the time to put this theory to test. Seems straight forward to me. Regardless, I hope everyone gets it sorted out. Looking forward to seeing the new rules playout this year. Season start can't come soon enough

Last edited by joshmanore : 02-03-2015 at 11:12 PM.
joshmanore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 PM #11
bmankool

bmankool plays in the PSP
bmankool plays in the APPA D5 division
bmankool has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bmankool has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
^Ive never had to flash my boards. Ever. Pros have to because this mode isnt standard in any gun currently. Most people dont need to flash a board unless its super out of date. Or they just want the newest software for there markers.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 PM #12
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg man 5000 View Post
It's a programming thing. The rate of fire setting on the board is processed with time, not balls per second.

There are 1000 milliseconds in one second. If the PSP wants a 75ms gap between shots, you find:

1000ms / 75ms = 13.33bps

It may be frustrating as a player, but as far as the technology is concerned, it's way better to have a clean number internally than it is to have a clean number in balls per second.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:06 PM #13
707GTO

Yess that sounds better then 12.5 should be some good games with a good cap
707GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 PM #14
WP2015
ACL tears are no bueno

Annual Supporting Member
WP2015 plays in the PSP
WP2015 is playing at Living Legends VIII
WP2015 is an NCPA player
WP2015 supports Pev's Paintball
WP2015 is Legendary
WP2015 supports Empire
WP2015 is All In
meh
Bring me ETACS or Skull Eflexes - PM Me
WP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:10 PM #15
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmanore View Post
Maybe I'm completely crazy, but there seems to be a simple solution to the issue the pros are all having with true semi. You're being penalized for your gun bouncing with true semi. You aren't really shooting over 12 bps, you're getting help from the gun bouncing. So crank up your debounce, add a tensioner spring, adjust your trigger to stiffen it so it doesn't rebound from the shot's recoil. Seems like that should solve everything...Has anyone really taken the time to put this theory to test. Seems straight forward to me.
Given time I have a feeling that some key trigger adjustments will be figured out rather quickly, as well as potentially different techniques being used. Heck, you might see some old school trigger fanning happening to help get that just perfect rhythm.

And rhythm is the key. I know myself, and it seems a lot of other people as well, tend to not walk the trigger in a perfect 1..2..1..2..1..2 rhythm. It's more a 1.2...1.2...1.2... So the time between the first and second pull may be quicker than 75 ms, but it's longer than 75 ms before the next two pulls. Hence a lot of skipped shots with the new mode until you learn to use more precise rhythm The shot buffer on the modern boards would smooth this out, but the new mode doesn't.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 PM #16
Trevor the great

"true" semi has gotta be the dumbest thing the psp has ever done
Trevor the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 PM #17
Ion103
SEMPER VIC

Ion103 is an NCPA National Champion
Ion103 plays in the APPA D2 division
Ion103 is All In
Just as others have asked (who are not pro), I ask Lane and Tom to increase divisionals to 13 as well. We played 10 back in 2009 and most of us did not like it. Also a lot of teams play against the pros at practice and it's not fun nor fair for them to be shooting up to 13.33 Even though I know they won't be shooting consistently at that rate but it's still a nuisance.
Edge Paintball Field Janesville WI - KEE/EMPIRE
Ion103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 PM #18
Jaccen

A step in the right direction. If they're going to do true semi, I still think the bps limit should be even higher.
Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:37 PM #19
JohnSherman

JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
There are some Elmer Fudd-level incompetents working at PSP HQ, aren't there?
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 PM #20
VPB-ChristianW
Virtue Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
VPB-ChristianW works for a Paintball manufacturer
VPB-ChristianW donated to help Peyton Trent
How's this. In simple terms True Semi guns are capped at 13.33, and will not allow the storing and adding of shots.
VPB-ChristianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 AM #21
ProMod
Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
ProMod owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ProMod is an NCPA player
ProMod supports DLX Technology
Purely curious, why not keep the 'true semi' mode and just bring the bps up to 15 or even 18? I don't play on a professional level, nor do I plan on it, but at some of the local fields, we do like to use pro-level rules. I'm curious as to what their reasoning is behind these lower rates of fire.

From a monetary standpoint, I understand they want us to shoot less paint. I'm fine with that. But if that is indeed the case, why not limit the amount of paint a player can bring onto the field each point? Fix the problem at the source instead of beating around the bush. Double trouble, that means more players will run low on paint, which will make them less likely to bunker down and put up lanes for hours at a time.
Originally posted by msonic- Think of Simon as Paintball's Tony Stark. For real.
"...Looks Like A...." earns you an instant NEWBIE tag. Don't be a newbie.
ProMod is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.