Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
well if you get in a game where its primarily missles, you wont be "sniping" youll be trying to either run for cover and hope for best or needing to get up close to take away the effect of missle boats.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM #1241
Fuzzy R. McNuggs
Awaiting Email Confirmation

yea lrms own all long range combat

laser sniping usually doesnt work that well for me

gauss and autocannons from medium range is the only viable "sniping"
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM #1242
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
ER PPCs are much better for extreme ranges than ER lasers. As far as energy weapons go. They might have a travel time, requiring you to lead, but when they hit all that force impacts at once, doing full damage to where ever it hits. Lasers have a duration time in which you have to hold on one spot to do the full amount of damage the lasers are rated for. That can be hard to do from far away.

Your setup isn't bad, just needs a few tweaks. Don't expect to get a lot of kills with it but if you can get good at popping out and ducking back into cover you could use it as a decent skirmisher , just dealing a little damage here and there and running away before you can be targeted. It's a little slow to be ideal in that role (the centy 9d is better suited) but if your smart you can make it work.

Personally I would keep a hunch 4P basically stock besides upgrades. When I ran one, I mapped the arm lasers to weapon groups 1 and 2 and mapped all the torso lasers to 3. 7 Mlasers at the push of a button is 35 pts of damage. That's enough to melt the armor off of just about anything in a couple of volleys. Then just stick to arm lasers until the heat can dissipate enough to fire the torso again.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM #1243
gamesondemand
NYANNYANNYANNYANNYANNYAN!

gamesondemand helped look for balloons
gamesondemand plays in the APPA D4 division
4p's were meant to be laser boats, just deck that thing out in all med and small lasers, dhs', and a nice non-xl engine and you're good to go. Don't xl if you plan on surviving, everyone shoots the hunch, as you probably found out already.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM #1244
HOSLAY3R
Prince of Biomass

Thanks for advice all, so far I've had some success playing mid map taking pop shots at anyone that pokes their head out, one good thing is overheating is a non-issue.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 PM #1245
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaintballer15 View Post
so caved and bought 6500 credits. bought myself a catapult to use as a missle boat. Which has been hit or miss, since it has alot of head buildup, but also have two med lasers on it for emergency situations and when i run outta ammo.
sine youve got some MC, you might want to consider one of the hero mechs for the 30% c-bill bonus. its pretty cool for those of us that missed out on founders. i average about 80-100k cbills for a loss and 140-200k for a win.

also ER ppc's FTW. 10 points damage vs 15 for the guass, but doesnt run out of ammo, not near as heavy, no min. range compared to normal ppc's, and adds heat on impact. ive shut down many larger laser boats with it in a centurion from that, but it does build up quite a lot of heat though. have to lay off from it when fighting up close unless you have double heat sinks. er large lasers just seem to build up too much heat to be useful to me.

with the cataphract added there seems to be very many "sniper" set ups in teams lately, its almost annoying since no one ever wants to go capture the base. then when it comes up against a decent missile team they get destroyed because they wont quit standing in the open.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 AM #1246
Fuzzy R. McNuggs
Awaiting Email Confirmation

ppcs give the target heat?

did not know that

time to make a flamer/ppc atlas
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM #1247
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

yep, its not a whole lot but its enough to be annoying. might be enough to push something over its limit if theyve already got their heat built up. would probably work great on that trial awesome that goes from 0 straight to 75% if it fires everything at once lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM #1248
gamesondemand

ECM is interesting. I'll definitely be having it in my 3L... If I can get it to fit back on. Heard there were problems with taking it off and not being able to stick it back on. Might have to buy a whole new mech to have it -.-
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM #1249
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

did they change the erppc from closed beta? that thing was a heat monster to the mech it was equipped to.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM #1250
gamesondemand

Nope, but with DHS it's more manageable.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM #1251
blitz121

Annual Supporting Member
blitz121 helped look for balloons
blitz121 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
blitz121 supports Sherwood Forest
blitz121 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesondemand View Post
Nope, but with DHS it's more manageable.
I still haven't figured out the benefit to DHS

XTC social crew
Elite Sports
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM #1252
gamesondemand

They dissapate heat at 1.4x the amount of heat a normal heat sink does. Does not stop heat from building up, it just makes cooldown faster.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM #1253
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

which means you need less of them so you can save some tonnage, or fit more of them. the tradeoff is they take up quite a bit of room. so you wont be able to fit both them and FF armor for example. totally worth the 1.5 mil imo, in a way they let you hit above your weight just because you can keep firing for longer.

also once you get your own mech and start earning xp theres a couple skills in the pilot lab that help with heat a little.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 PM #1254
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesondemand
ECM is interesting. I'll definitely be having it in my 3L... If I can get it to fit back on. Heard there were problems with taking it off and not being able to stick it back on. Might have to buy a whole new mech to have it -.-
I'm loving ECM. It has already made streak cats far less common and manageable. As someone who has always preferred direct fire weapons like lasers, auto cannons and regular SRMs, ECM doesn't negatively effect me much.

Also the new hero mech is expensive, but really fun. I just lost all but one medium laser, added an endosteel frame and packed in as much AC ammo I could. Constantly firing AC5s is a blast.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 PM #1255
gamesondemand

Oh man, tons of AC2 and 5... glad I'm not around to see that spamfest. What lights have ecms? If it's only ravens I'll keep my streaks, if not then I'll swap for srm6's.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM #1256
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

is it more than the yen lo?

edit: 5250mc FUUUUUU. thats like $20.

how does the ecm in this one work? just keep them from locking on to you as much.

the other day i came face to face with a streak cat and just powered down in front of him for like 3 min just watching him stare at me, got him to look away for a split second and powerd back up, shot once and powerd back down lol.

then his dragon buddy came around the corner and blew me up.

edit2: santa atlas and elf commando cockpit items look awesome lol.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 12-05-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM #1257
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesondemand View Post
Oh man, tons of AC2 and 5... glad I'm not around to see that spamfest. What lights have ecms? If it's only ravens I'll keep my streaks, if not then I'll swap for srm6's.
Commando COM-2D
Raven RVN-3L
Cicada CDA-3M
Atlas AS7-D-DC

Those are the variants with ECM now. I see at least one mech a match with ECM on my team.

BTW, what is your Raven setup? I just bought an 3L for the ECM and Rebel said you had a pretty badass one.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 PM #1258
gamesondemand

Uh... It's honestly been so long that I forgot. Basically xl 285ish? The one that is like 2 sizes down from max, dhs, endo, ams, 2 ssrm2's, and here's where I really forget, either 2 lpl's or 2mpl's or a mix (Pretty sure it was 1 lpl and 1 mpl). I took the ecm out cause it was a placeholder, and I think I have ferro, so I'll have to adjust the build with ecm in. Mind you, when he was specc'ing me I had every basic unlocked, with a few elites unlocked, so it was not as good stock, but if you can get a good team to back you up and don't get surrounded you'll be getting exp galore. Most matches I would either finish with 7 assists or 3-4 kills and 3-4 assists. Scout fast, run back to a group, dart in for the kill, harass the lights attacking your heavies. Always stay near a group except for the initial scouting. With the speed boost you should be maxing at almost the same speed as a jenner, I think I was hitting 130ish, maybe 140ish.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM #1259
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

anyone else seem to be getting more and more smaller glitches than before? like your map not working and only half your hud?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM #1260
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
I had a few games where minimap wouldnt appear when in my atlas. Only other glitch ive really had was whole screen being orange so i couldnf see where i was shooting
Closed Thread