Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-17-2012, 12:35 PM #1
Carnage88

Ancient Philosophy and other questions

I'm going to be taking an ancient philosophy class pretty soon and I was wondering if anyone has philosophy as a major; those who do I want to know what you expect to come of it? I'd love to make philosophy a major but from the dim prospects in the case of employment I continue to fill them in as free electives. I was wondering what I should expect by taking this class besides Allegory of the Cave, Euthyphro and Aristoles divided line.

As an addition I'd like a suggestion for a more upbeat philosophy book to read than my last "Existentialism from Dostoevsky to Sartre". Dostoevsky is my favorite writer IMHO Notes of the Underground is a genius look into the selfpunishing sick psyche of humans but god he can be depressing.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM #2
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

has been a member for 10 years
Philosophy majors are relatively useless in this day and age.
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM #3
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage88 View Post
I'm going to be taking an ancient philosophy class pretty soon and I was wondering if anyone has philosophy as a major; those who do I want to know what you expect to come of it?
I majored in Religious Studies and Philosophy in college. For a philosophy major, expect a lot of hard work leading to little respect from most people. But if you enjoy it, it's worth it. If you are interested in grad school, it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage88 View Post
I was wondering what I should expect by taking this class besides Allegory of the Cave, Euthyphro and Aristoles divided line.
My university broke up ancient philosophy into two courses, but I would assume that you will see 3 units:
1) Pre-socratic - mostly a quick overview of ten-ish ancient philosophy before Socrates.
2) Socrates and Plato
3) Aristotle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTtBoy-II View Post
Philosophy majors are relatively useless in this day and age.
You will hear this a lot. Don't listen to the trolls. I would never recommend doing only a philosophy major but double majoring has become pretty common now-a-days. A philosophy major coupled with something else (sociology, RS, econ, math, business, etc) can lead to a very strong resume.

Statistically, a philosophy major will do well in every grad school test (that could be partially attributed to both philosophy classes making kids smart and smart kids taking philosophy classes).