Community Focus

Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 PM #43
da oreo
JUST DYE

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liealgebra View Post
I agree that the formula has a lot to offer, and it is definitely worth consideration.

You are right that it isn't useless as we could potentially use it in a meaningful way, however at least three of the variables are pure guesses. Now, I'm in math courses that may blow your mind, but I can tell you that "guessing" the variables (namely f_i, f_c and L) is absolutely non-scientific when there is no reasonable amount of evidence or even any actual observational data to base it on.

Furthermore, you need to consider the time in which this equation was developed. It's a true equation in the sense that it makes sense if you know what the hell the probabilities are. As far as I know, and I could be wrong when I say this, we have only recently seen that it was possible for the building blocks of life to come from space, perhaps on object or objects colliding with Earth.

Anyways, it's a pretty unscientific gesture to just plug in probabilities you know jack about. We know a lot, lot more about the universe than we used to, but we still know nothing relative to what is still to be discovered.
Use unscientific gestures to try and find extra terrestrial life... or do nothing? The scientist in me goes with the first option, who knows, you might get lucky and have an apple land on your head.
da oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 AM #44
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Quote:
In 500 years, I'd bet that we'll have figured out how to transfer our consciousness to giant Panda-shaped robots that can fly through space using solar wind. So really not need to colonize other planets, per se.
This, but not joking. Maybe without the panda part. In 500 years parallel tochnologies will make this a very different question to answer. It's almost certain that we'll no longer need anything beyond a decent energy source to thrive, and we will almost certainly have figured out how to upload a mind to a synthetic platform. Heck we might be able to do that in 50 years or less.

So technologies like stasis, generational ships and what animals to take to make a colony will be redundant. Add FTL comms to this (assuming that's possible) and every planet we've been able to send probes or whatever to will be instantly accessible to anyone at all. At least those who have access to avatars of some sort. Most folks will probably just live inside the internet and never become physical at all. We will become machines and machines will become us.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM #45
trixR4kids.
she only had one hand

trixR4kids. supports Team VICIOUS
trixR4kids. plays in the APPA D4 division
trixR4kids. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Colonization def possible within 500 years.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 PM #46
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell

rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
rnauman821 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by da oreo View Post
First of all, thanks for not posting the lizard equation again, so ill put a little more effort on this one.

Have you ever seen the movie contact? It doesnt matter if you liked it or not but if you have, it will help you understand where im coming from.

Your a scientist that has an interest in finding extra terrestrial life. You send in your proposal to raise money as well as acquire a grant. Through tough work and dedication you are able to raise enough money to get ten hours of radio telescope time at NRAO each week. You want to look for life and you are very optimistic that it is out there as the model i have posted shows. but you have no where to look. Well, given your numbers gained from the equation you find that life can be as close as 350-500 light years away. So you go to SETI and ask them, "what planets have you found in that range?" They print out a sheet and you use those ten precious hours each week to listen in on those planets. If it doesnt work... well you better start reworking your equation but also you know where not to look. If it does work and you discover life, well amazing, you have changed history.
It doesnt hurt to use that equation, thats the way i look at it. Even if it isnt as hard ground as the pythagorean theorem, it gives people a jumping off point to think about or atleast theorize with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
It was a clear example of how a formula without known variables is useless.

Why should I fund a program ran on a equation that you, me, and the creator of the equation proclaimed to not be scientific?
Girls, Girls, You are both pretty. Now calm down.
rnauman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM #47
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnauman821 View Post
Girls, Girls, You are both pretty. Now calm down.
Digging up a month old thread for a dumb joke? Quality stuff. Thanks for the contribution.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 PM #48
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell

rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
rnauman821 is Legendary
Thanks man, I though it was pretty good too.
rnauman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 AM #49
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Further awakening...
I think rats are NOT the animal of choice to bring on a colonizing trip. You need scavengers for sure, but not the kind that are pests. Dogs, chickens and some kind of crustacean would be best. Definitely lots and lots of plants. A generation ship if you re going very far would be critical if there is no way to suspend/retard biological function. If you are going to colonize a planet you will need to bring everything with you to establish a contained colony. you would have to assume that the atmosphere is not breathable and therefore would need to bring the ability with you to filter out what ever is harmful.

Viable colonies in the near future...
I like what someone said earlier about having a colony on the moon if it was economically driven. I agree that as long as colonization is driven by research rather than economics that it will probably not happen in the next 100 years. Getting out of our own gravity well is so expensive right now that any colony anywhere isn't going to happen any time soon.