Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 PM #1
Sh1neSp4rk

Resurgence of paintball...

So I haven't played in at least a decade. I gather Paintball kinda peaked around 2006. I started wanting to play again a couple years ago, I haven't made time until recently though. One thing I've noticed is that it seems a lot of players have decided to get back into it. Has this been a consistent thing over the last few years or are we seeing a large influx of old players? If it's the latter whey do you think people are coming back more now?
Sh1neSp4rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2016, 01:16 AM #2
jtguy2269
PL gun collector

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1neSp4rk View Post
So I haven't played in at least a decade. I gather Paintball kinda peaked around 2006. I started wanting to play again a couple years ago, I haven't made time until recently though. One thing I've noticed is that it seems a lot of players have decided to get back into it. Has this been a consistent thing over the last few years or are we seeing a large influx of old players? If it's the latter whey do you think people are coming back more now?
I've been running into a lot of players in their twenties getting back in now that we have big boy jobs and can support the habit again
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 AM #3
booty chedda

booty chedda has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yep i quit in 2003 and im just getting back in. I think for me it was that I loved woodsball and the giant structures that were being built on fields. I stopped when speedball took over and I would go to my local field and see most of my favorite fields replaced with speedball. The whole pace of the game changed, and it was no longer exciting to bring friends and family to play at that time, they would just get annihilated in the first minute of a game. It was hard to introduce new people to the game. I mean you would have a group of rich 12 year olds come out and spray the crap out of paint with high end markers, and no skill. At my field you voted on which field to play before every game and it was always speedball back to back to back. I just lost interest in the game at that point. you have to remember back then buying a paintball gun that would shoot with the pace of the modern cheap electros was not affordable for most people. They did have some cheap electros emerging but they would chop the crap out of balls and would break all the time, most small local fields couldnt fix them. So when so many of us were invested in nice autocockers and automags and people started shooting streams of paint playing speedball it wasnt fun anymore. . Now that I am older and seeing people interested in pump, and both woodsball and speedball equally I have decided to give it a try.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:51 PM #4
pmack374

I played from 97 to 05 and got back into it last year. Just turned 40 and still keep up with the younger guys.
pmack374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:33 AM #5
Moore92
The Beard is Strong

Annual Supporting Member
Moore92 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Moore92 supports Ninja Paintball
It seems the original speedball generation is coming back. Now in their late 20s and 30s. Ive been playing again for the first time since 07. Able to afford all the toys now that i couldn't back then. Could be an early midlife crisis, but hey, i have no kids and the wife loves it. Even if my knees don't.

Black Swamp Eliminatorz #92
Moore92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 AM #6
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty chedda View Post
yep i quit in 2003 and im just getting back in. I think for me it was that I loved woodsball and the giant structures that were being built on fields. I stopped when speedball took over and I would go to my local field and see most of my favorite fields replaced with speedball. The whole pace of the game changed, and it was no longer exciting to bring friends and family to play at that time, they would just get annihilated in the first minute of a game. It was hard to introduce new people to the game. I mean you would have a group of rich 12 year olds come out and spray the crap out of paint with high end markers, and no skill. At my field you voted on which field to play before every game and it was always speedball back to back to back. I just lost interest in the game at that point. you have to remember back then buying a paintball gun that would shoot with the pace of the modern cheap electros was not affordable for most people. They did have some cheap electros emerging but they would chop the crap out of balls and would break all the time, most small local fields couldnt fix them. So when so many of us were invested in nice autocockers and automags and people started shooting streams of paint playing speedball it wasnt fun anymore. . Now that I am older and seeing people interested in pump, and both woodsball and speedball equally I have decided to give it a try.

yeah i try to convey this to people but paintball players that are deep in the sport can't understand why people would take issue with 15 bps, some even want to bring it back. im really glad rates of fire have dropped because it makes it easier for casual players as well as people who just dont wanna spend all kinds of money on a sport thats supposed to be fun.

i've seen people come back and i think it has picked up but we have a while to go before its really a resurgence.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:44 AM #7
TaintedSoul
***That1Dud3***

TaintedSoul owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
TaintedSoul plays in the APPA beginner division
TaintedSoul has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
TaintedSoul supports Ninja Paintball
Out in 2007, back in 2015. I do more now with paintball than I ever did back then. I'm in this crowd.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 PM #8
CockersRl33t
Bunkering Corp.

CockersRl33t plays in the APPA D5 division
I stopped in 06, came back this year...trying to get my old pb friends back into it as well