kwik is a Supporting Member
kwik is playing at Living Legends VI
kwik is playing at Living Legends VII
kwik supports Team VICIOUS
kwik supports Pev's Paintball
kwik is Legendary
kwik supports Empire
Drone DX vs Etha

I know the Etha has only been out a short time but there are definitely a decent number who have tried it by now...

I know retail there is a $150 difference and that primarily comes from the drone being all metal and the etha being composite I assume.

Im looking for a comparison in feel-"smoothness", eff, and general opinion from those with experience on both.

ICD-Owners
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 AM #2
tlmiller

tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Never felt the Etha, I've read that people say it FEELS very cheap in the hand though.

I definitely like the feel of the DX. I do want to try the Etha though.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 AM #3
95saturn

if your used to fairly smooth shooting guns and like the luxiorous feel, then don't get the etha.

this is how i look at the etha: a low budget marker designed to be a pure workhorse.
95saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM #4
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
I would go with a drone. Felt the etha, was like "ehh". Not to impressed. The Drone felt like a clone, which I liked. Also, you can put clone parts into a drone.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 PM #5
Nexxux
Axestasy

Annual Supporting Member
Nexxux supports DLX Technology
Nexxux supports Empire
drone dx all the way.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM #6
Oneofthemuppets
2k8 stuck in a 2k11

Oneofthemuppets owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oneofthemuppets owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I have shot the etha, and had a droid (yes it is not a drone, but same company, close to same performance).

I would personally choose the etha BECAUSE I do not like having to maintain guns. I want to be able to go out and shoot case after case and not worry about anything maintenence wise. I want to be able to throw my gun in my bag at the end of the day, week after week and not worry about how it will perform the next time I pull it out. Dont get me wrong, drones are the better marker in pretty much every way except price and ability to beat the piss out of it and not spend any time maintaining it.

Tl;Dr version:
Drone for all around better gun
Etha for something you never have to mess with.
(Yes I know that drones are probably one of the easiest spool valve markers to maintain)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM #7
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneofthemuppets View Post
I have shot the etha, and had a droid (yes it is not a drone, but same company, close to same performance).

I would personally choose the etha BECAUSE I do not like having to maintain guns. I want to be able to go out and shoot case after case and not worry about anything maintenence wise. I want to be able to throw my gun in my bag at the end of the day, week after week and not worry about how it will perform the next time I pull it out. Dont get me wrong, drones are the better marker in pretty much every way except price and ability to beat the piss out of it and not spend any time maintaining it.

Tl;Dr version:
Drone for all around better gun
Etha for something you never have to mess with.
(Yes I know that drones are probably one of the easiest spool valve markers to maintain)
well its obvious you never owned a drone dx or are not even familiar with the way the bolt works. it is so simple and needs next to zero maintenance. out of the box i played in 17F weather with no bolt stick or issues. The bolt is nothing like the droid. I just got back from a week in LA playing 6 days straight. I shot probably 12+ cases and did nothing to the bolt. I would say the drone dx is LESS maintenance and issues than an etha. There is only 1 moving part on the whole drivetrain and that is the bolt. Throw a little lube on the inside and outside of the bolt and you are good to go. As easy as maintaining an ego.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM #8
The_Fresh
Trollin' the trolls.

Annual Supporting Member
The_Fresh plays in the APPA D4 division
The_Fresh has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Fresh supports DLX Technology
The_Fresh supports Empire
there is no comparison to me here. I love both PE and macdev. The drone is just way better. it's a dumbed down clone with a different drive system and shares a lot of the same parts as a clone. The etha is loud and has vibration when shot. feels very cheap. Like i said no disrespect to PE, I love the ego's and geo's, but etha i'll pass. I'd rather spend the extra 50-100 on a used drone or extra 150 new. All metal everything. If you're really stingy with the money, brand new for 60 more dollars than an etha is the axe and that is a fantastic gun as well. the drone is stupid easy to maintain. So is the axe. So is the etha. Drone and axe are your best bets (i own both)
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 AM #9
rkenders
Northern Colorado

There is no comparison between these two guns. It's like comparing an Ego to an A5. OK...not quite that bad, but you get the point. The Drone DX is a far superior gun. My only real gripe about the Drone is the grip covers which are made out of some kind of soft plastic. They don't match the quality of the rest of the gun. Etha's have a plastic frame for starters (WTF) and they don't have the efficiency or smoothness of the Drone. The Etha trigger is an embarrassment for the price of the gun. The DP G4 has a nicer trigger.

IMHO...get the Drone DX and ignore the Etha. I respect PE in general and most of their guns are excellent, but the Etha isn't one of them.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4070838
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4049998
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM #10
kwik
Herbal Cultivar M.D.

Annual Supporting Member
kwik is a Supporting Member
kwik is playing at Living Legends VI
kwik is playing at Living Legends VII
kwik supports Team VICIOUS
kwik supports Pev's Paintball
kwik is Legendary
kwik supports Empire
Thanks to everyone.

I have all but decided to go drone, probably something lightly used as I have seen them for 400-450 with only a couple cases through them.

on a side note the composite frame on the etha doesn't bother me much, I know it is strong enough to handle anything I do, but the more and more I look and read reviews on both the more I am sold on the drone.(yes i have considered an axe also and it is still on the option table)

ICD-Owners
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote