Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
Ex-Heroes/Ex-Patriots

Has anyone read these books?

A while back a friend had advised me that I needed to read "The Walking Dead" comics. I'm not a comic person, but he insisted I needed to read them because we were talking about the, then, forthcoming show on AMC. So at his suggestion I did. Loved the series. Picked up every possible issue, and was hooked. Having finally had that "oh, I see... not all comics are what I grew up with" moment I asked about some others, and blew through Y! The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, and a few other "ended" series so I could read a beginning/middle/end without having to wait for new issues (like I was with TWD). Being on a kick at that point I started looking for more recommended series, and found this book EX-HEROES by Peter Clines.

It's not a graphic novel. It's your standard book, but it was on the top of a lot of people's favorites at the time who were reading things like I had listed above. So I took a chance and picked it up not even reading what it was about. It's a good thing, because had I read it... I probably wouldn't have given it a chance. Coming in fresh I was quite surprised at how good this book was, and the sequel recently dropped.

EX-HEROES is a geeks dream. It's about Superheroes battling Zombies. What? I know... I said it. Superheroes, and Zombies. That would've normally kept me away from it, but like I said... I had jumped in blind.

Turns out it's actually quite well done, and interesting. Going to post the official info below.

Quote:
Stealth. Gorgon. Regenerator. Cerberus. Zzzap. The Mighty Dragon. They were heroes. Vigilantes. Crusaders for justice, using their superhuman abilites to make Los Angeles a better place. Then the plague of living death spread around the globe. Despite the best efforts of the superheroes, the police, and the military, the hungry corpses rose up and overwhelmed the country. The population was decimated, heroes fell, and the city of angels was left a desolate zombie wasteland like so many others. Now, a year later, the Mighty Dragon and his companions must overcome their differences and recover from their own scars to protect the thousands of survivors sheltered in their film studio-turned-fortress, the Mount. The heroes lead teams out to scavenge supplies, keep the peace within the walls of their home, and try to be the symbols the survivors so desperately need. For while the ex-humans walk the streets night and day, they are not the only threat left in the world, and the people of the Mount are not the only survivors left in Los Angeles. Across the city, another group has grown and gained power. And they are not heroes.
During the above you find out what started the Zombie Apocalypse and stuff, but that's all secondary to them protecting the survivors, etc. Very good read. Glad I picked it up.

Then I found the sequel came out a month and change ago called "Ex-Patriots". I had forgotten it was coming so I picked it up on my Nook software on the iPad and read it in 24hrs.

I'm leaving the info for the sequel out in case someone chooses to read them so it doesn't spoil anything.

Full of geek culture references, etc, I enjoyed them both immensely.

****. I'm rambling... back to the original question. Has anyone else read these? What did you think if you have?
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement