Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 AM #1
Shockwave

Shockwave is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Project Log - Shimmy

I'll be updating this thread with info regarding project - Shimmy

I've had several Shockers over the years. I've liked how they shoot and point, but I have never really liked the triggers. I played NPPL for many years, so having a "perfect for me" trigger is extremely important due to the fact that semi-auto requires a ton more work than ramping. If I was ramping, then trigger feel wouldn't be as nearly as important.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it was due to the fact that I'm a west coaster, but I've always thought that Timmy's had the best trigger geometry/feel of the popular guns out there. I really think that the shoulder screw used for the pivot point does an awesome job of capturing bearings, providing a good platform for a completely slack/wobble free trigger. I also like the close spacing of the web of your hand and the trigger itself. While this requires a vertical solenoid, I do feel that it allows me to wrap my fingers further around the actual trigger, and pull it faster and more comfortably while keeping a firm grip on the gun with my thumb.

This project was born out of taking a look at my parts box, and realizing I have a ton of parts that could be used for tinkering

I'll be updating this thread over the next few weeks with my progress, hopefully it ends in success and not failure.

12/31
Here is a Z frame mocked up on the body. I also have a critical and empire frame that I may try out. I'm not sure if I like the huge "luxe-like" spacing that the Z frame is providing.

Vertical Challenge
My first challenge is to figure out how to orient the solenoid in a vertical fashion, as Timmy frames do not have enough space to accommodate a horizontal one. CS900 has been doing some amazing magical work using the Luxe manifold to do just this. However, I am not a magician like him, so I decided to go with using hoses/barbs (just like in a stock Timmy).

I realize that going with hoses/barbs presents a couple of possible challenges:
1) Slower cycle rate due to the less direct air passages. Since PSP is capped at 12.5, and NPPL at 15, I realize I do not necessarily need a quick cycling gun. As a side effect, perhaps the slower cycle rate will be gentler on paint.
2) Shockers work at a much higher solenoid pressure that other guns using LP tubing. One of my huge worries is that the 160-180psi that Shockers need will blow the hoses off of the barbs. I guess I'll figure this out once I get there.

With the help/advice of CS900 (which I will probably be saying a lot during this build thread) I isolated the fire and rest solenoid transfer passages, and tapped them for M3 barbs. There wasn't enough space to have a 3rd barb in the area for the main air source, (especially since the passage is angled), so I will be plugging the normal hole, and using a factory sealed passage a inch or so away.

I hooked up a solenoid, and used an external LP source ~ 100psi. The Shocker itself was not gassed up at all, only the bolt fire/rest passages. Using the manual cycle button on the solenoid, I was able to get the Shocker bolt to shuttle back and forth perfectly. When holding down the manual cycle button, I was getting some air venting out of one of the air source passages, which may be normal, or perhaps I need to change out some orings on the bolt.

Next steps will be to plug the stock air source passage, unplug the factory sealed one and tap it for M3 barbs. I have some 90 degree barbs on their way to me which may make routing the hosing easier.

1/1
I got the new air passage tapped and barb installed. I still need to plug the stock air passage. It's drilled at an angle, which is making me a bit paranoid about tapping and inserting a grub screw to plug it. I did go by the hardware store and they didn't have 4-40 taps (sad), so I'm debating on just using a dab of JB weld to plug it. Anyone have any other ideas?

I chopped the front of the frame down and tried to contour it to the VA as much as I could. Front screw fits nicely. I'll have to drill/tap the rear screw hole though. Ordered a 10/32 bottom tap and endmill bit. Gonna start it with a normal drill bit, then finish it with the endmill so I get a flat bottom without poking into the body. Then I'll start the tapping with a normal plug tap, then finish it with the bottom tap. Going to be scary but fun! I was also really glad to see that there was more than enough clearance for the hoses within the frame, even if I don't use a 90 degree elbow.

I also got a hopper/tank on the sucker so I could shoulder it. Shoulders very nicely, felt great. Glad I'm going through with this project. I really liked moving the grip towards the back of the gun, as it relatively moves the hopper further forward on the gun. This will help a ton with running and shooting while hunching over your gun since you won't have to worry about a hopper smacking you in the head with every step.

1/6
Been a while since the last update. Been working on getting my workshop ready for primetime. Moving all the tools in this weekend so I'll be able to do all my drill press necessary operations then. We just finished painting the space - check it out.

I did get a chance to make a quick video showing the system manually cycling, along with the leak that occurs when the bolt is in the forward position. Please take a look and let me know if this is normal.

7/16
Yep, I'm still alive. Millions of things got in the way, but I dusted this project off and did a bit of work today.

I decided to use an LPR, mainly because I'm a bit afraid of sending ~ 180psi through hoses and barbs to a solenoid. I did get a solenoid rated up to 300psi, so I'm not worried about that, I'm mainly worried about blowing -Lhoses off of barbs. I also imagine that dropping the cocking pressure a bit should reduce kick a tiny amount (probably not noticeable) as a side benefit.

I used the gauge port to fit a 90 degree elbow and used a plain old cocker LPR.

I then trimmed a bit out of the front edge of the trigger frame to allow the hose to neatly route into the frame.

This was the first time having the firing and cocking sides both gassed up. Set the HPR to 180psi, and turned up the LPR while manually cycling the solenoid. Shot a couple of balls (awkwardly since I had to use the solenoid button), and was shooting ~ 320 fps. Very good sign.

Next step will be electronics.

7/17
Today was dedicated to EYES!

Using the schematic at ZDSPB, I was able to figure out what the stock eyes were pined out to. Eyes are made up of 2 parts, a emitter, and a detector. Both of them have 2 wires each. Both the emitter and detector require an input voltage of some sort, which is 1 of the wires. The other wire can be looked at as a "signal" wire, which via voltage pulses or droops, will let the board know what is going on.

According to the schematic, Shocker eyes want a voltage of 3.75v. This made me a bit nervous, as Timmy eyes are spec'ed at a voltage of 5v. I decided to try em out anyways. If this didn't work, my backup plan was to figure out a way to wire Timmy eyes directly into the Shocker. I wanted to avoid this though, as it would require me to make modifications to the body and eye covers.

So, after some detective work, I was able to figure out the pinout of the Timmy harness (no fancy schematic for this), and then moved onto soldering. As most of you know, the Shocker eyes use a thin ribbon cable. I took one look at it and knew soldering it would be near impossible. I then remembered that the ribbon plugs into the upper board in a nice little slot with pins that interface to the upper board. I unsoldered that plug from the upper, and then soldered leads to the exposed pins. That was still extremely difficult to do. I used some harvested wire from an old IDE cable. After about 20 min, I had all 4 wires done.

Testing was a success, and I then placed a bunch of hot glue over the plug to make sure I would never ever have to solder something that small again in my life.

Here's the pics - not much to look at, but I'm proud of it, took a lot of time to do

Check the join date.

Last edited by Shockwave : 07-25-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 AM #2
Shockwave

saved for future updates

Check the join date.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 AM #3
Shockwave

saved for future updates

Check the join date.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:35 AM #4
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
I got a ton of 2k2 and some 2k5 parts if you need. I like the idea of this.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 AM #5
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Looks fugly, but I like the name.

Shimmy.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 AM #6
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Most project guns look uglier than sin until they're done. I personally love timmy triggers/frames over most Shockers, but love the feel of a shooting shocker over a timmy. This would be the best of both worlds for me to see.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:05 AM #7
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
This is neat
ΞΞ

R.I.P.{HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 PM #8
cs900
makin' chips

Annual Supporting Member
cs900 supports our troops
cs900 supports DLX Technology
Good to see you're underway with your project.

It's perfectly normal for air to come back out the barb fittings. If it's coming out somewhere else that's another story.

there any way to move the frame forward a bit so the back of the fame lines up with the indent on the back of the body. Would make it look 100X better.
cs900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM #9
smartparts07
W8

thats pretty sweet is it lighter with the timmy frame or heavier?
smartparts07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:14 PM #10
Nic#27
hvhrt

Nic#27 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Nic#27 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Looks fugly, but I like the name.

Shimmy.
i concur

cool luxe
cool gear
Nic#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:55 PM #11
vs3 man ftw

vs3 man ftw has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
this looks sick, cant wait to see it completed. subscribed
Old 01-01-2012, 01:59 PM #12
BDidz
SFP

Annual Supporting Member
BDidz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BDidz supports our troops
BDidz plays in the APPA D4 division
BDidz is Legendary
If you get it anoed keep the frame fade and ano the body.
BDidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM #13
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
There any chance you have a Gen 4 frame floating around? That would be HOT.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM #14
pupANsuds

wow, interested to see how this comes out
pupANsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 PM #15
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs900 View Post
there any way to move the frame forward a bit so the back of the fame lines up with the indent on the back of the body. Would make it look 100X better.
I totally plan on doing this. My current priority is getting the air passages taken care of, then I'll start working on fine tuning the fitment. I'll probably move the frame up a bit until it is flush, and perhaps use a SFT vert adapter if I don't need the longer reach of the NXT one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartparts07
thats pretty sweet is it lighter with the timmy frame or heavier?
Hard to say with the Z frame. With the critical frame, it is definitely a bit lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami
There any chance you have a Gen 4 frame floating around? That would be HOT.
That would definitely look awesome. Unfortunately, I pretty much skipped the Gen4 of Timmys due to the whole balanced valve thing causing reliability issues. I don't have any Gen4 specific parts at all. Got a ton of Gen 1-3 stuff though. Pretty much the whole reason I started this project.

Check the join date.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM #16
Shockwave

Thread updated with my work for 1/1/2012. Let me know what you guys think. Might be a few days before my next update, as a couple of the steps I'll need to be taking require a drill press. My workshop is currently in the process of moving/being setup, so be patient with me.

I may start on some of the electronics while I wait.

Check the join date.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM #17
cs900
makin' chips

Annual Supporting Member
1) don't use JB weld. do it the right way and tap the hole for a 4-40 set screw and loctite it closed. JB weld is a last resort tool

2) don't worry about using a square end mill for the back frame threads. even a bottoming tap still have leadin threads that will make it a useless step.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 PM #18
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs900 View Post
1) don't use JB weld. do it the right way and tap the hole for a 4-40 set screw and loctite it closed. JB weld is a last resort tool

2) don't worry about using a square end mill for the back frame threads. even a bottoming tap still have leadin threads that will make it a useless step.
Thanks for the advice yet again. I'm going to have to send you a bottle of your favorite liquor when this is all said and done.

Do you have any advice on tapping that angled passage? I'm freaked out that I'll accidentally join 2 passage that shouldn't be if I don't have the tap at the correct angle. Or do I have a bit of leeway and shouldn't be a wuss about it and just do it?

Check the join date.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM #19
cs900
makin' chips

Annual Supporting Member
suck it up and just do it. the tap will align itself with the passage for the most part. you're going to have to try super hard to join two air passages.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 PM #20
maloneoni
The Ronin

I love custom stuff.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM #21
memoon
Moon Penguin

memoon supports Team VICIOUS
memoon supports Team VICIOUS
memoon is reppin' sidebar 4 life
memoon plays in the APPA D5 division
I hope this turns out well for you...it certainly looks entertaining!

Subbin'
memoon is offline   Reply With Quote