Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 AM #85
Khanhfucious
w0rd

Khanhfucious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Khanhfucious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Khanhfucious supports Team VICIOUS
It was woodsball. The kid couldve been wearing camo, crawling around. It's not THAT far fetched.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM #86
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanhfucious View Post
It was woodsball. The kid couldve been wearing camo, crawling around. It's not THAT far fetched.
Really? I've never seen any camo-wearing coyotes. Easy negligence conviction, the guy fired at something he couldn't see. Clear violation of firearms safety.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:50 AM #87
anthonylane1212

anthonylane1212 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
thats not good at all, r.i.p

Mitchell & Ness Joe Montana Jersey!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post68765271
anthonylane1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM #88
youknowitall
Rick

Quote:
and you dont play paintball unless at a field
So I'm to be forced to play at a field and spend more money on an already over expensive sport. I love speedball and it's been sometime that I played woodsball but it's where I first started.It's not rogue ball or outlaw ball it's people going out and enjoying themselves by having a good time.There are more problems at fields with people not being able to get a long than at some random get together in the woods to play. This is just a joke fluke where some guy may have been a complete idiot,had issues with the people he shot,or just wanted to kill someone that day. This could have very well happened to little Timmy taking a stroll off the beatin path.
youknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:30 AM #89
paintball_fiend

has been a member for 10 years
update: Police have a person of interest in the shooting death of Brandon Spangler, 17, of Flushing, Michigan. Officers say Spangler was visiting his father.

Spangler, his three siblings and father were playing paintball in a wooded area when shots were fired. Spangler was hit in the shoulder.

Police say Jason Bagley, 41, fired the shots. He owns the land where the teen and his family were playing. Bagley told investigators he thought he was shooting at coyotes.

Bagley admits he had previously given the family permission to be on the property, but did not realize they were playing paintball on Friday.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM #90
michman714

He went to my school in flushing mi, i was a very good friend of his. I just cant buy the coyote story. He almost 6"1. And after he shot MULTIPLE shots how do you not go out to see it, i hope he does pay for this if he did it intentionally.
michman714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM #91
KidInfamous
There can only be One

Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by contract*killa View Post
if it was a private property, and the guy didnt know what paintball was, and he heard them shooting, can you blame him?
Your wrong. you can blame him. First It's illegal to shoot from your property unless you have already in the course of a day ventured out into the woods at least 25 years with the intention of hunting. also i think i am not clear but you need at least 1/2 mile of un populated land infront of where you intend to fire.
Not to mention basic gun safety tells you to identify your target. and shoot at what you intend to kill. Another Point the owner said he gave them permission to be on his grounds to play. and last he claimed he was shooting at coyotes. Last time i check coyotes don't walk on two legs and run around in camo and wearing masks. I assume his gun had a scope. he should have again identified what he was shooting at. I don't go hunting and just wildly shoot at the first thing that moves in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
Not necessarily. Like someone else mentioned, if he didn't know they were there, and he says that all he saw was someone with something that appeared to be a gun, and heard loud noises in his yard, he'd get at worse involuntary manslaughter.
If that's the case, as much as it sucks, the persons most at fault are the childs parents who failed to raise their child to respect private property enough to get permission from the property owner.
Again wrong. At least around where i live in order to justify shooting someone they must provide and imediate threat to your family or your self. they were out in his woods so they weren't close enough to his house to cause a threat. The law is on the families side on this. He admitted he gave the family permission. he should have went out there to see the commotion. I mean i don't know about some of you, but i can tell the difference between gun shots and paintball shots. guns are extremely loud compared to paintball guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDensityMan View Post
And do you play at a designated "field" or do you "trespass" on someones private property. I put alot of the blame on the dad.
Did you read the part where the owner gave permission to the family to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDensityMan View Post
It's easy to determine......in order to play at a designated field one must pay..People here are screaming for justice and we know nothing of the facts. But ! thing is certain...NONE of this would have happened if they weren't trespassing! I'm not defending the land owner by any means but it's seems like people are forgetting the first domino that set the rest in motion....Poor judgement of the fathers part!
the owner gave permission. the fault is his for negligence and and should be seen as a homicide. or at least involuntary manslaughter . Life without parole is what i believe .
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:19 AM #92
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Hunters wear blaze orange for a reason. It's because without that very, very, bright, easy-to-see, unnatural color, it's very easy for someone to mistake movement in the bushes for something it's not. People who are hunting deer (or coyotes) will believe they are shooting at a deer. Mind just sees what it wants to sometimes.

Not to say the shooter wasn't negligent in not being more sure about what he was shooting at, but it's quite possible this is just a tragic accident.

I am glad to hear this isn't a result of a property owner thinking there was someone on his property with a real gun.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 AM #93
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInfamous View Post
Your wrong. you can blame him. First It's illegal to shoot from your property unless you have already in the course of a day ventured out into the woods at least 25 years with the intention of hunting. also i think i am not clear but you need at least 1/2 mile of un populated land infront of where you intend to fire.
That depends entirely on state/local law.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:37 AM #94
Chuckasaurus
Giggity

Chuckasaurus plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by duddyflash View Post
Bagley told investigators he thought he was shooting at coyotes.
Do the coyotes there shoot paintball markers???
Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM #95
KidInfamous
There can only be One

Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
That depends entirely on state/local law.

- Chris
you may be correct i know where i am from. if you want to hunt. you need like 250 300 yards in all directions and then if you come back to your camp site then you can hunt from your site but you must have like .5 miles of space that if you fire and miss it won't hit any house or person. at least it used to be. i know lots of places have laws on how much room and where u can hunt from.
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM #96
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl mike View Post
That sucks, I guarantee you the media and all other pieces of <del>****</del>, are going to try to turn news like this against paintball or guns, instead of the dumb shooter.
Fortunately, the media around here is pretty reasonable when it comes to this sort of stuff. It seems like every station has a couple of people who play paintball, so they usually contact one of the local stores or fields when things like this happen.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:28 PM #97
nickdude
well do ya punk?

Annual Supporting Member
nickdude donated to help Peyton Trent
nickdude is playing at Living Legends III
nickdude is playing at Living Legends V
nickdude supports DLX Technology
I can't believe the responses of some of the jackasses of the nation.
Some kid lost his life and you effing idiots can purport it's right or justified, and blame the father. All of you with your negative commentaries should be ashamed of yourselves.

Prayers for the family.

Valken * Quickshot * Gog/Luxe * Guerrilla Air * TechT * Xtreme Dreamz * Fog Doc* Deadlywind
Media partners Help keep Paintball Alive * CatShack Reports
LUXE MOBClone GT Militia
nickdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 PM #98
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Not to say the shooter wasn't negligent in not being more sure about what he was shooting at, but it's quite possible this is just a tragic accident.
I still think he was intoxicated or on some sort of drug. It would be one thing if he was a senior, but at his age it's hard to believe he did what he did sober.

Quote:
I am glad to hear this isn't a result of a property owner thinking there was someone on his property with a real gun.

- Chris
I agree completely, it could have been even worse. Sure it could have been bad for paintball but even more importantly if he thought he was in danger and saw one of the others out there he might have shot at them too. I know it's EXTREMELY hard to be thankful right now if you're the boy's parents, but the fact that the rest of them remained unharmed is something to be thankful for.
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 PM #99
codythinman

codythinman donated to help Peyton Trent
codythinman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
codythinman supports Bob Gurnsey
codythinman supports our troops
Quote:
Hunters wear blaze orange for a reason. It's because without that very, very, bright, easy-to-see, unnatural color, it's very easy for someone to mistake movement in the bushes for something it's not. People who are hunting deer (or coyotes) will believe they are shooting at a deer. Mind just sees what it wants to sometimes.

- Chris
I AGREE 100%! I grew up in the MS backwoods and its called buck fever, or "whatever ever animal your hunting" fever.

Your brain is looking for something so specific and its ready to see it. A person in camo crawling around in the distance can silhouette easily as an animal. This happens often enough to make people wear blaze orange. It even happens in bow season.

Thats why there are so many courses and licensing agencies for hunting and owning firearms. This is sad indeed, I hope the family finds peace and justice.

Hear is another point but fitted around paintball... How many times have you shot a player on your own team. PROs do it all the time. Guys that know each other in the dark, and still mess up. Not defending the guy who shot the kid but being objective.

"Yet it brings back repressed memories of my institutionalized fondness of the archaic, yet hyper-organized paradox that is my beautiful US Navy. The duality of the state of my mind manifests itself in a cringing smile. It is the purveyance of confusion on how being micro-managed can have no real discernible goal or direction. Yet we as the body of the US Navy somehow, someway achieve perfection out of an utter circus that exist at every command, never really realizing or pinpointing how this perfection could have ever been achieved. HOO YAH! US Navy!"
codythinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 PM #100
frankie says chillax
...bro

frankie says chillax plays in the PSP
frankie says chillax plays in the APPA D4 division
another trigger happy redneck...
frankie says chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:17 PM #101
spartan985
one shot killer

I saw the update, but here is the article for those who want it.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011123...007/1001/rss01
spartan985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 PM #102
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by contract*killa View Post
if it was a private property, and the guy didnt know what paintball was, and he heard them shooting, can you blame him?
Yes you can! It's part of being a responsible weapons owner. The sad part is a young kid lost his life. There is a big difference between a gun and marker. Anyone that has owned/shot one will know the difference. His defense is week and most likely won't fly. He is and will be held accountable for the death of that kid. It's sad.

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box : 12-31-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 PM #103
05daytonaram
DOODOO BROWN MEANS IM PRO

05daytonaram is playing at Living Legends V
05daytonaram owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
05daytonaram owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
05daytonaram is for the Gunfight
05daytonaram has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
05daytonaram has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
05daytonaram has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
yes, wearing bright colors does help in identifying easier..... but in any gun/hunters safety course and by law (where im from) you never point a loaded gun at anything or anyone unless you have the intention of killing it. You must identify your target before taking the gun off safety! also, you have to think these were not hunters this was a father with his children playing paintball on land with permission so that was the last thing on there minds.
05daytonaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM #104
Quacker

Quacker owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by michman714 View Post
He went to my school in flushing mi, i was a very good friend of his. I just cant buy the coyote story. He almost 6"1. And after he shot MULTIPLE shots how do you not go out to see it, i hope he does pay for this if he did it intentionally.
I am sorry for your loss. Be assured that paintballers across the nation are also sorry.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:18 PM #105
flalasoya
Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Irish Baller View Post
dang...so playing on private property and the property owner shot them when the kids were playing paintball? Thats an over-reaction...

Not good to hear...
And the guy gave them permission to play before and forgot about them AND they were with their father who probably got the permission from the property owner

To the above comments people have made, I doth want to quote u all but I know people who live upstate ny and ct and they both deal with coyotes.I've been to their houses and from my experience of hearing and seeing them and being at a paintball field that has both woods n speedball, a coyotes howl or running strides don't sound like 4-6 paintball guns shooting.

And when the coyotes came around we used an airhorn which scared them away alot easier than a real gun. Plus if you he shot the coyote did he plan on eating it or what just leave it there to rot?

Last edited by flalasoya : 12-31-2011 at 07:26 PM.
flalasoya is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.