PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM #1
dneyn
o_oa

Durability of Vanguard Display Screens

I just purchased a used Demon and the previous owner states that he was bunkered and was shot right in the screen. The screen is cracked. I thought the grips would protect the screen. Has anyone else had this problem?
dneyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM #2
VanguardUS

We have seen a very small amount of customers that have had this issue. It does not happen often, out of the 1000+ grips we sent out last year on new guns and as aftermarket parts I've seen it happen less than 5 times, that's less than 1% of all grips in 2011.

i would like to take a second though to touch on the subject. The plastic cover on your grips is alot like the windsheild on your car. While it was created to deflect items it is not 100% guranteed not to crack. If you happen to catch that one rock on the right day at the right angle thre is a chance your windshield may crack. just like if you happen to get bunkered on the right day at the right distance and a paintball hits your gear at the right angle there is a chance that your gear may get cracked or damaged. But that gear includes hoppers, pods, screens etc.

To get bunkered means to get shot at close range. And getting shot at close range by a paintball going 300 FPS could possibly crack your gear.

There are no issues with the durability of the grips, what the previous owner experienced was a fluke

Kat
Customer Service Manager
Vanguard US
951-427-5046
VanguardUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM #3
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
In my lengthy paintball playing career.......I've seen almost every type of screen get cracked at some point. A square hit at close range has a lot of energy behind it, and the grips/screen/board, unlike your body have no real ability to flex away and absorb impact. It's just the name of the game really.

What I used to do in the past was build up the inside of my grip around the panel with tape. This left a small amount of space between the grip window and the screen. The theory was that it left some space for the window to flex and hopefully absorb more of the energy. Happily, I never had an incident where my mod was put to the test, so who knows if it would actually work.
I suppose for the right amount of money the tiny number of incidents could be prevented but.....most companies just send you a new one since over the long haul it's cheaper.

I wouldn't really even consider this an issue to be aware of in any gun. If your number comes up, it comes up.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S

DM12 red with matching Boomy F/s
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM #4
SHOOTNPOO
MACDEV MASTER US TECH

SHOOTNPOO works for a Paintball manufacturer
SHOOTNPOO plays in the USPL
SHOOTNPOO posts videos on PbNation
Oh yeah, and make sure your team mates shoot the guy before you get smashed.
SHOOTNPOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 PM #5
FightingOriole
No sanity here

FightingOriole owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FightingOriole plays in the APPA D4 division
FightingOriole has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FightingOriole has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
FightingOriole has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The five that Kat talked about, I would be one of them. The thing is that the shot that did it was a one in a million shot. Like with her example, given the right conditions anything could happen. The demon is a great gun, hands down my favorite, and i am not sponsored by Vanguard to say this. One thing to consider is that the vanguard replacement boards are great. they have all the settings you need and are cheaper than any replacement board for any other high end marker. So realy, if you are buying a used Demon, you will still ultimately come out ahead than if you bought a used Ego with the same issue.

The customer services at Vanguard will take care of you. If you decide you want different grips, i believe stinger makes them. but like i said, its a one in a million shot that will do that damage so spending the money on them i personaly think would be a waste.
FightingOriole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM #6
MstrKey

prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTNPOO View Post
Oh yeah, and make sure your team mates shoot the guy before you get smashed.
Or make sure to spin on the guy when he comes around on you That way your gun is pointing at him and won't take a solid hit lol.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM #7
troutman

troutman supports Empire
troutman is All In
troutman is All In
I would add that it dosnt have to be a bunker move, the instance i was involved in was from atleast 20 feet away but it was a freak shot. Still ordering two here asap
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM #8
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I would add that it dosnt have to be a bunker move, the instance i was involved in was from atleast 20 feet away but it was a freak shot. Still ordering two here asap
LOL we were just kidding around. Actually most cases I've seen of broken screens on guns come when the player is walking off the field hit...and exposes the grip side to incoming fire. He's walking perpendicular to the line of fire so the shots hit square on. BAM! Broken screen.

Keep those puppies covered when walking off the field.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 PM #9
FightingOriole
No sanity here

FightingOriole owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FightingOriole plays in the APPA D4 division
FightingOriole has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FightingOriole has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
FightingOriole has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
^^^^^ this is the guy that shot mine out...
FightingOriole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 PM #10
troutman

troutman supports Empire
troutman is All In
troutman is All In
It wasnt a bunker move was my point. Nor was he walkin off the field he was running to a back corner
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 PM #11
MstrKey

Running to the right hand corner I bet.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM #12
LeftHook
I hate having $$

LeftHook donated to help Peyton Trent
LeftHook is for the Gunfight
the screen design on the Demon grips is much better than the 1st gen grips on the Creed, but I still went with some plexi grips from Stinger on both my Creed and my Demon. Now that I've gotten used to the slimmer frame, I'm not sure I could go back.

Plus, they look sweet.