Mayo88
\_(ツ)_/

Mayo88 is playing at Living Legends V
Mayo88 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mayo88 posts videos on PbNation
Mayo88 supports Pev's Paintball
Mayo88 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Drone DX vs Axe

I'm trying to decide weather to get a MacDev Drone DX or an Empire Axe. I want the Pros and Cons of each marker. I currently own an Ego 9 and I'm looking for a smoother shooting marker basically. PRICE DOES NOT MATTER I know the Axe is $100 cheaper.

Warzone CRU
Mayo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM #2
Mayo88
\_(ツ)_/

Things I'm looking for:

Board:
Comfort:
Weight:
Maintenance:
Overall Features(Feedneck, Barrel ASA, etc.):
Smoothness & Kick:

Warzone CRU
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 PM #3
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Board: Tie, they're both great boards, they're both LED board. Clone VX board & grips can go in the Drone, several people make OLED boards for the Axe.
Comfort: personal. Everyone is different. I think they're both nice. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Drone because I prefer the trigger.
Weight: Amazing that being nothing but a grown up Mini, but the Drone wins this. The Axe has some heft.
Maintenance: Tie
Overall Features: I'd say tie, I can't think of anything super special that either comes with
Smoothness & Kick: Drone.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 PM #4
TeamLeadersAccount

TeamLeadersAccount owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Feedback barrel got to drone. But the asa
For the drone is hard to do when sweaty
TeamLeadersAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 PM #5
cire83
RETIRED KILLER

cire83 supports Team VICIOUS
cire83 plays in the APPA D5 division
cire83 supports DLX Technology
I shoot an Axe. I haven't had the chance to shoot the drone yet. I dont think you can go wrong either way. The axe is very simple to clean and maintain. tool less bolt removal is very sweet. The trigger is...... different takes some getting used to. The axe is louder. I love the feel of the axe in the hands. The asa is great. Weight wise comparable with most markers made today.Air Efficiency the Axe is very efficient. I am getting close to a case per 68/4500 fill.The stock has all the features you need. If you are looking to upgrade it, The Empire Redline oled board is the way to go.Other upp's for the Axe a boss or lurker bolt. Violent series trigger, and Add a good barrel kit to the Axe and you will have a great shoot marker that will run with any other marker on the field.

'12 BOB LONG G6R

JESUS FREAK
cire83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM #6
PurpleDirt
Repurchased Thine Soul

Shot both, I love drone more.

There's more frame to hold on, a more responsive and comfortable trigger with a better microswitch (all IMHO). The frame is more balanced with more room under and above the bottom line of the trigger guard.

They both shoot as smooth as each other, basically.

Drone can score better efficiency numbers out of the box. The regulator is leaps and bounds better than that of the Axe, so it's more consistent as well.

The Drone is better balanced (more low/back).

Both have a nice feedneck and board, although I'd get a virtue redefined (if on a budget) ASAP, or if you have cash, try out a Yakuza. Definitely nowhere near necessary, though.

Drone has Laser eyes, so it wins in the eye category naturally.

Drone looks cooler to me, too. but that's a me thing. It also has much better foregrip/reg to frame spacing IMHO. Allows for some serious control, even with a heavy loader and greasy hands.

Again, this is all in my opinion. Except for the consistency part. That's true.

Oh yeah, to ask maintenance is retarded. A spoolie will ALWAYS be more maintenance than a poppet. The fact that you'd rate a marker on its maintenance is kind of dumb. They all need it, so just take care of it and it will take care of you... In most every case, that is.

Please PM Yelosno if you would like to begin a conversation with me.
PurpleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM #7
Mayo88
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDirt View Post
Shot both, I love drone more.

There's more frame to hold on, a more responsive and comfortable trigger with a better microswitch (all IMHO). The frame is more balanced with more room under and above the bottom line of the trigger guard.

They both shoot as smooth as each other, basically.

Drone can score better efficiency numbers out of the box. The regulator is leaps and bounds better than that of the Axe, so it's more consistent as well.

The Drone is better balanced (more low/back).

Both have a nice feedneck and board, although I'd get a virtue redefined (if on a budget) ASAP, or if you have cash, try out a Yakuza. Definitely nowhere near necessary, though.

Drone has Laser eyes, so it wins in the eye category naturally.

Drone looks cooler to me, too. but that's a me thing. It also has much better foregrip/reg to frame spacing IMHO. Allows for some serious control, even with a heavy loader and greasy hands.

Again, this is all in my opinion. Except for the consistency part. That's true.

Oh yeah, to ask maintenance is retarded. A spoolie will ALWAYS be more maintenance than a poppet. The fact that you'd rate a marker on its maintenance is kind of dumb. They all need it, so just take care of it and it will take care of you... In most every case, that is.
Thanks for the response but I was just trying to come up with things to compare them to I really don't care about maintenance myself either

Warzone CRU
Old 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM #8
CarsonRemchuk

CarsonRemchuk plays in the PSP
CarsonRemchuk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
CarsonRemchuk supports Team VICIOUS
CarsonRemchuk supports Team VICIOUS
I shoot an Axe and love it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Drone DX but since the Axe is cheaper, buy a Boss bolt V2 for it, thats what Im doing and you can drop your OP and Dwell down to crazy low levels
Exalt
Kick'N Paintball Park
GSL Owner Serial 716
CarsonRemchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM #9
rkenders
Northern Colorado

There's not going to be much difference between the Axe and Drone maintenance wise. The Drone is a spool valve design and so you should maintain the gun after every day of use or so. The Axe is a poppet valve/spool bolt hybrid so the bolt will need similar maintenance as a straight spoolie will. I like the Axe a lot. It is very reliable and smooth despite being a hybrid design. The no tool back cap is really nice. How often do you really need to pull your back cap off in the middle of a game? You go back to your bench, pull out your tool kit, lube, etc and fix the gun. The Drone has better efficiency, less sound, less recoil and laser eyes. I really dislike the proprietary regulator on the Axe. The Drone has a standard reg and it works very well. It's just preference, but having the board/battery in the grip makes more sense to me. Macro-line going to the regulator is no big deal and that is the main reason for the odd placement of the board and battery in the Axe. Getting rid of the bottom line can be done differently and still keep the board in the grip. Personally I would go after the Drone DX. They cost a little more than the Axe, but they are amazing shooters for the price. The Drone is well worth the $550.

Upgrades:
The Drone can take the Clone VX OLED board and grips, but other than that there are no other upgrades currently available for it.

The Axe has several after market boards for it and other items. There is more after market support for it than the Drone.

Last edited by rkenders : 01-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM #10
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
I have never shot a Drone DX but the Clones are amazing and from what I hear the Drones have similar ergonomics and are kind of a cheaped down version of the clone with a much simpler engine.

With that said I have shot an Axe and was not impressed, I wouldn't even consider an Axe as an option.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 PM #11
Nick2794
Macdev Militia

Nick2794 is playing at Living Legends VII
Nick2794 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nick2794 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nick2794 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Definitely go with the drone you can read my review and other peoples reviews here: http://www.pbnation.com/reviews/prod...3#review_43963

Overall the axe is a bigger mini that comes with a crappy barrel, case and manual the drone was compared to the geo 3 in this thread: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...rone+dx+review

and it compared pretty well. It is like a cheaper clone vx but has the same feedneck, reg, barrel, trigger, asa and you can install the vx OLED board in it for some extra $$$ get the drone you will be happy.
Nick2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 PM #12
fenskedeathcore9
Jersey Militia Player

fenskedeathcore9 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
The drone wins to me. Ergonomically, its not a hit or miss like the axe. The stock barrel is good and the Axes is awful. The axe does have a really nice shot, but I like the Drones 'swoosh' type feel like spools have. The drone does need to be lubed more often than the axe. But the axes killer to me is that when you air it up it doesnt always seal. It's like a decider whether you play or not. So for safe measure I'd go with drone. It's so nice.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 AM #13
Harribo

Just to clearify something in this thread about the Drone.. The drone does not come with the same barrel as the clone vx or any other clones. The Drone come with a two piece barrel at 14 inches. Pretty nice barrel though.

Regarding board. Yes you can upgrade to the Clone VX board but even better the Clone GTi board wich does not have any problems with the screen burning out and even has bluetooth for the future. Also the GTi grips are much sweeter. No reason for a Tadao board. You can upgrade the trigger too if thats a wish.

And somebody mentioned price beeing 550. That is for the Drone GTi and not the Drone Dx wich is priced at 430. I think someone is confused. The Dx is cheaper then the Axe new.

Last edited by Harribo : 03-13-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Harribo is offline   Reply With Quote