Community Focus

Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM #1
CreesquePaintball
That Stupid Pendejo

CreesquePaintball is playing at Living Legends V
CreesquePaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CreesquePaintball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spool or poppet valve?

I've recently got into paintball about a month ago and love the sport alot. My local field owner constantly tells me that I have great potential blah blah blah and that I need a new marker. I think my azodin blitz shoots perfectly fine, but I guess if I want to play competitively I need something better. So, should I look into spoolies or poppet valves as a new player?
CreesquePaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 AM #2
NITR0U5
Ryan

NITR0U5 is playing at Living Legends V
NITR0U5 is playing at Living Legends VI
NITR0U5 is playing at Living Legends VII
NITR0U5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NITR0U5 posts videos on PbNation
I would go for a spoolie, they tend to be smoother and quieter.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM #3
Bazr57
13@7j3\/\/

Bazr57 helped look for balloons
Bazr57 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bazr57 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITR0U5 View Post
I would go for a spoolie, they tend to be smoother and quieter.
and i would say poppet, they tend to be more efficient and easier to maintain.

ST: FSU
blue threadlocker tastes funny
my roommate has dick ants

770link770 needs to bring me a McGangBang at work, or this will remain in my sig.
Bazr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM #4
NITR0U5
Ryan

NITR0U5 is playing at Living Legends V
NITR0U5 is playing at Living Legends VI
NITR0U5 is playing at Living Legends VII
NITR0U5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NITR0U5 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazr57 View Post
and i would say poppet, they tend to be more efficient and easier to maintain.
does efficientcy really matter if you have a 68/45 and the ability to refill after every game.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM #5
youknowitall
Rick

Your really going to have to shoot them both and decide on your own. We can't tell you what you like.Your just going to get bias and inconclusive replies.
youknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM #6
StubbsPKS

StubbsPKS owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
StubbsPKS supports Team VICIOUS
StubbsPKS supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
does efficientcy really matter if you have a 68/45 and the ability to refill after every game.
Depends on how many pods you're planning to shoot in a game... more than say 6 or 7 and it matters for sure
StubbsPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM #7
folkloricjungle

Quote:
This. I'd say go for the Spools
folkloricjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 PM #8
Bobtheballer
wanabe gunwhore

Bobtheballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreesquePaintball View Post
I've recently got into paintball about a month ago and love the sport alot. My local field owner constantly tells me that I have great potential blah blah blah and that I need a new marker. I think my azodin blitz shoots perfectly fine, but I guess if I want to play competitively I need something better. So, should I look into spoolies or poppet valves as a new player?
Well there's a couple of questions you have to ask yourself
These being the most important:

Do you want a gun that's really smooth?
Does efficiency matter to you that much?
Do you want to learn how to tune your gun to perfection, or just throw some oil in it every now and then and let it sit in your bag?
Does the complexity of parts matter to you? Ego's and Mini's are about the simplest, DM's are slightly more work, but Angels take the most work to tear down and rebuild
Are you really going to shoot 7 pods per game?

Also ask around at your field to try out the other players higher end guns and see how you like their feel in your hands. Ask if you can shoot it a little bit to to find out what kind of shot you want. Weight doesn't really matter any more because most high end guns you can get will be down around the 2lb mark or even less.
Bobtheballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM #9
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D4 division
Poppit:
More Efficient
Less Maintenance
More Reliable
Louder
More kick

Spool:
Less Efficient
More Maintenance
Less Reliable
Quieter
Less kick

Depending on the gun the differences between the two are very small, while sometimes the difference is very large. This is a general overview of the differences.

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM #10
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

Assuming from the fact that you just come from an Azodin Blitz I would suggest a poppit. Its almost the same platform and it is a lot more user friendly.

You are new and you need to spend your time and money on the field not talking to techs and at the air station in between every point.

If you want the best of both worlds and want a poppit that reliable AND quiet and smooth then take a look at Alien. They arent quite as smooth or quiet as a high-end spool but they are by far the smoothest and quietest poppit.

If you want some more info on Alien's check out this thread: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3719238
Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM #11
CreesquePaintball
That Stupid Pendejo

I'm now stuck between the newest generation mini and an 07 PMR - Both are around the same price, the PMR being 15 dollars cheaper. I enjoyed shooting the PMR, but I haven't tried the mini.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM #12
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Buy used and get something better than a mini or a rail. They're not going to hold up in the long run. As for poppet vs spool, there is no definitive answer. It's completely subjective.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM #13
Ginga G

Quote:
I'm now stuck between the newest generation mini and an 07 PMR - Both are around the same price, the PMR being 15 dollars cheaper. I enjoyed shooting the PMR, but I haven't tried the mini.
Between those 2 choices i'd go with the Mini. Unless the PMR is heavily upped. PMRs are friggin money pits stock. I had an 07 or 08 for a while and it was nothing but a new problem each day. stripped back cap, leaking, the POS trigger. So many things that need replacing to make it a reliable gun and dont get me started on the feedneck, lets just say snake dive=flying hopper 60% of the time all the time.
If it is heavily upped on the other hand(trigger, back cap, feedneck, reg, asa, frame, ect) then its about an even choice IMO.

I've shot both the PMR and Mini and much prefer the Mini. I would recommend the Axe over the Mini but it looks like you are just starting out so you might not wanna spend that much
Ginga G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 PM #14
youknowitall
Rick

I did an event and my NT11 chopped and chopped like it was born to do it.I ended up going to an UL 07 PMR that never went down,broke 3 balls in the barrel that was it. PMR will suit tourney needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
Buy used and get something better than a mini or a rail. They're not going to hold up in the long run. As for poppet vs spool, there is no definitive answer. It's completely subjective.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM #15
Bobtheballer
wanabe gunwhore

Bobtheballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
In that case the Mini is a far better deal. Like someone else said the PMR just isn't worth it unless it is highly upped with all aluminum parts. The mini however does have a nice shot, it's tiny (can be a downside), and they are amazingly easy to take apart and clean. Also it is the same exact thing as an Axe which everybody else loves.

I had a Mini for a little bit and I was very impressed it. It was a lot more than I ever expected it to be.

Generally I love Proto, but the Rails in my opinion are a waste unless you get a highly modified one for a great price. Don't ever worry about internal upgrades on a Dye/Proto, but with a rail you want all of the plastic parts upgraded to metal. Or find an 09 Rail, those were the only ones I would actually shoot. There was one on craigslist by me for for I think $235, even had a Virtue OLED board
Bobtheballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM #16
youknowitall
Rick

My 07 pmr se came stock with UL,and all the upgrades. I just sold two of them.For next to nothing..
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...356&highlight=
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...810&highlight=
Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM #17
CreesquePaintball
That Stupid Pendejo

The only thing that kind of turns me off on the mini is the lack of a stock on/off... the only replacement is an $80 dollar ASA that would for sure give my parents heart attacks. They aren't exactly the most supportive when it comes to paintball, even if I use my own cash. I know that for some this isn't a problem, but it's a luxury that I've always wanted and never got around to putting on my blitz.

Last edited by CreesquePaintball : 12-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM #18
russmoo44

russmoo44 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
whatever one is favorite in your opinion..chocolate or vanilla?? nobody can tell you what you like best
russmoo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 PM #19
gamer565
*****es love cannons!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
It does if you play scenario's.
To be able to blow through a case and still have air left makes for less walking and less time off the field helping your teammates.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM #20
Vanquish96

Vanquish96 is playing at Living Legends V
Vanquish96 supports Team VICIOUS
Vanquish96 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Vanquish96 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Between the rail and mini I have owned both and as long as the mini is a v3 so u don't have poppit problems go with the mini it is a good platform all around. And if u want an on/off and u don't want to spend $80 ndz makes an adaptor that screws onto Ur tank that's an on off for like 20 that is what I used on my mini and it work great
PM6
Lasoya Timmy

98% of Ion owners think that there Ion is better then any high end gun. If you would like to bonus ball those douche bags put this in your sig.
life is a gift so iam going to take urs
Vanquish96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 PM #21
russmoo44

russmoo44 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquish96 View Post
Between the rail and mini I have owned both and as long as the mini is a v3 so u don't have poppit problems go with the mini it is a good platform all around. And if u want an on/off and u don't want to spend $80 ndz makes an adaptor that screws onto Ur tank that's an on off for like 20 that is what I used on my mini and it work great
my younger brother had a v3 mini and Ive got to say it is a little impressive for how small it is and how nice of a shot it has..they are cheap, small, reliable, and shoot really nice..if I wasnt a gun whore and didnt always want the best of the best stuff then I wouldnt mind shooting one myself
russmoo44 is offline   Reply With Quote